Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
roland1919
roland1919 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Help me fix my problem....$25 bonus

I've been chating with a few of you lately and BTW Thanks for all the help I've recieved. I am posting a warning because I figured out what my problem was with my PRS-505. I spent 2 1/2 hours with a tech last night only to find out that I should not have loaded the disc that came with the READER, it and its drivers were dated...wait the plot thickens. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling only to find out that these is a "ghost in the machine" that will not let me reinstall. Tried finding this "ghost" but to no avail. There is a message that pops up staiting that there is a installer problem and that EBOOK library cannot load. Went to ADD/REMOVE program and again the message pops up noticing me of a path to follow C:\Docume~\{4576-F-1678 etc...cannot remove that or the SONY DRIVERS. I am offering anyone who can help me solve this issue $25...my PAYPAL to yours...Thanks GANG. Email me at:
Rolandofgilead36@hotmail.com

P.S. MODs if this is inappropriate please remove. Thank You. Pete
roland1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is ok, but you should really not post your email addy here unless you are looking for spam. PM works better for these purposes.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Try restarting your computer in Safe Mode (press F8 during boot) and then run the add / remove program applet.

Good luck!
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Go grab yourself http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html . It is a free tool.

Run it and uninstall the connect software from your machine. If this doesn't work just delete the entry from the myuninst list.

Once you have done this, you should be able to install the eBook software that you can download from the Sony site. This should update the driver. If not you can update the driver from the Device Manager.

Apparenlty Sony techs don't know much about PCs.

Worse comes to worse you can remove the driver from the registry and reboot.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Did the support people actually tell you that you have a ghost in your machine? Were they also like, "The Matrix has you?"
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
better yet...don't use the Sony software at all. Windows will see the Sony as a USB drive and you can move books onto it easily
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If the software that Bob recommended doesn't work, try Your Uninstaller! 2008. I use this tool to uninstall everything and have found it to be very effective.

And unless you want to buy something from the Sony eBook Store then you can use calibre for all your ebook synchronising.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
format c: /q /u
is said to do wonders!

SCNR
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's also the Microsoft Installer Clean Up Tool, which I've occasionally found useful - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. It is useful for making apps believe they're being freshly installed.
bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I'm not interested in the 'reward', but does the zip file I attched in this thread work for you?

If you have a PRS505 on XP or Vista, then you don't actually need the drivers it installs when you run the Sony Software - only the Sony Connect software (which is in the zipfile in that thread).
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
roland1919
roland1919 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron-UK View Post
I'm not interested in the 'reward', but does the zip file I attched in this thread work for you?

If you have a PRS505 on XP or Vista, then you don't actually need the drivers it installs when you run the Sony Software - only the Sony Connect software (which is in the zipfile in that thread).
UPDATE....Ive spent over 10 hours with technicians...and two remotely with SONY TECHS...One guy said WOW! I've never seen this happen before ...ever...I plug my SONY in and it will not even register, nowhere not under device maanger, My computer, nowhere, Works fine on a deifferent computer. Ive given up on my computer. The tech did note that it showed up once under "Storage Device" with a yellow exclamation poin but when we tried to uninstall it the computer would freeze every time....I just use my girls computer now...Oh well, guess I'll never know....
roland1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'd wipe the drive and reinstall Windows
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I'd wipe the drive and reinstall Windows
Or install Ubuntu.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you tried all the different USB ports on your PC? It's not uncommon for USB devices to work on some ports but not others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote