Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instructions for patching firmware 3.11.0

Before starting:

1. Make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 3.11.0 (4d8eac1207).

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

3. Note that in Windows 8 the instructions below might require the batch file to be run in admistrator mode. (See the end of this thread for discussion.)

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_3110.zip (attached). [WARNING: If using Windows, make sure the path to the extracted files does not contain any '&' characters.]

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 3.11.0 for your device (See this thread) into the 3.11.0_source subdirectory. (Don't extract.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 3.11.0_source subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences. (See the section below on customising the patches.)

4. In Windows double-click 3.11.0.bat; For Linux/Mac open a terminal, change to the patch_kobo_3110 directory, and run ./3.11.0.sh from the command line.

5. If there were no errors, copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz from the 3.11.0_target subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 3.11.0_source/*.patch files to disable all patches (set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.

Customising the patches to suit your preferences and device

Some patches require no customisation, you can choose simply to enable them or not. But the following patches allow more customisation and their initial values should be considered examples only.

1. Custom reading footer style: There are three example styles, comment out the styles you don't want by adding a "#" character at the beginning of the line beginning with replace_, and leave the style you want uncommented.

More complex customisation is possible by editing the replacement css text, see this post or the Kobo Patcher thread for examples.

2. My 15 line spacing values: Change the lines of the enabled patch starting with replace_float: the middle number is the original spacing value, the number to change is on the right.

The values are the line spacings set by the adjustment slider. The actual spacing depends on the font used, but for most fonts a value of 0.7 gives very tight spacing with ascenders/descenders overlapping, a value of about 0.9 gives a spacing similar to that of a mass-market paperback. The smallest value available in the unpatched firmware is 1.0.

3. Custom font sizes: Change the lines starting with replace_int. The middle number is the original value, the number to change is on the right.

The values are the font sizes set by the adjustment slider, they are in pixels so the absolute size depends on the device: size 20 on the Glo is about the same as size 25 on the AuraHD. Some books change the base font size, so you may need font sizes that are larger or smaller than your normal reading size to allow for adjusting such books.

4. Custom left & right margins: Change the lines starting with replace_int. The middle number is the original value, the number to change is on the right.

The values are the margin widths (in units of about 1% screen width I think) set by the adjustment slider. The margin size is added to whatever margin is fixed in the book (if any) and in reading software (The kepub reader has a base margin of about 2 units, the epub reader has a base margin of zero).

5. Brightness fine control: Change the lines starting with replace_int. The middle number is the original value, the number to change is on the right.

The values are the percentage amounts that the brightness slider changes when the small or large sun symbols are tapped. (Both should probably be set to the same value).

6. ePub adjustable top/bottom margin (disabled by default): Comment out one of the replace_string lines (i.e. add a '#' character to the beginning of the line) and leave the other uncommented to select whether both top and bottom, or just the top margin, should be made adjustable. Change the right-most number of the replace_int line to set the size of the top/bottom margins relative to the left/right margins, depending on your device. (The suggested values should make the top/bottom margins roughly equal to the left/right margins).

7. ePub fixed top/bottom margin (disabled by default): Comment out one of the replace_string lines (i.e. add a '#' character to the beginning of the line) and leave the other uncommented to select whether to increase both top and bottom, or just the top margin. The replacement value is the size (in pixels) of the increased margin, seperated by \x00. For example, to fix the margin at 40 pixels instead of 25 pixels, change the replacement value from 2\x005 to 4\x000
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_3110.zip (464.7 KB, 1469 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-17-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Warning about '&' characters in path in Windows
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes and other patches

Notes:

There is a new version of the `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch: beware that it is not be safe to use this patch if you have your device language set to Japanese or are reading japanese books. If you try this patch, please let me know if you notice any problems.

If you don't want to use the `Freedom to advanced fonts control` patch there is another way to set the weight/sharpness of sideloaded fonts: if you look in your device's config file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf you should find the settings for weight and sharpness for each sideloaded font that you adjusted previously. These still work with the new firmware, and you can add or adjust them manually by editing the file with a text editor. (In Windows don't use Notepad to edit the file, use a text editor that understands unix line breaks, such as Notepad++).

Example for sideloaded "Dark Courier" font:
Code:
[Reading]
readingFontSharpness\Dark%20Courier=0.05
readingFontWeight\Dark%20Courier=0.25
The sharpness set by the slider ranges from -0.4 to 0.2 (default -0.0666), and weight from -0.2 to 0.8 (default 0.1).

I've left the PDF patches in libadobe.so.patch disabled by default, if anyone uses them let me know if they still work. I don't read PDFs so I don't test them myself.

There are now two alternatives for the `ePub fixed top/bottom margin` patch: Increased top margin with zero bottom margin; or increased top and equal bottom margin.

Other patches:

If you know of any other patches for firmware 3.11.0, post in this thread and I'll include them in this post.

A patch to change the footer text, from "Page xx of yy" to "xx/yy": (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=28

A patch to remove the white border from the homescreen tile book covers (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch):
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Remove white borders from homescreen tile book covers`
patch_enable = `yes`
#PhoenixSmallRecentBookTile
replace_string = CE6403, `coverBorder:4;`, `coverBorder:0;`
replace_string = CE64D4, `coverBorder:4;`, `coverBorder:0;`
#PocketRecentlyReadTile
replace_string = CE73D6, `coverBorder: 6;`, `coverBorder: 0;`
replace_string = CE749B, `coverBorder: 4;`, `coverBorder: 0;`
#RecentBookTile
replace_string = CE9870, `coverBorder:6;`, `coverBorder:0;`
replace_string = CE9928, `coverBorder:4;`, `coverBorder:0;`
replace_string = CE9A0F, `coverBorder:4;`, `coverBorder:0;`
#SmallRecentBookTile
replace_string = CEBCEE, `coverBorder:6;`, `coverBorder:0;`
</Patch>

A patch for a more compact homescreen layout on the Glo and Aura only (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch):

Glo:
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Compact homepage layout (Glo only)`
patch_enable = `yes`
#DragonHomePageView (Search bar height)
replace_string = CDEE88, `min-height:100px;`, `min-height:090px;`
replace_string = CDEE9B, `max-height:100px;`, `max-height:090px;`
#QWidget (Space below search bar)
replace_string = CDF021, `min-height:40px;`, `min-height:08px;`
replace_string = CDF033, `max-height:40px;`, `max-height:08px;`
#MultiColumnTileView (Space between tiles)
replace_string = CDF1D1, `horizontalSpacing:10;`, `horizontalSpacing:04;`
replace_string = CDF1F2, `verticalSpacing:10;`, `verticalSpacing:04;`
#footer (Footer menu bar height)
replace_string = CDF61E, `min-height:95px;`, `min-height:68px;`
replace_string = CDF630, `max-height:95px;`, `max-height:68px;`
replace_string = CE63C4, `percentFontSize:28;`, `percentFontSize:22;`
replace_string = CE63E3, `progressFontSize:22;`, `progressFontSize:22;`
#RecentBookTile
replace_string = CE98C3, `percentFontSize:28;`, `percentFontSize:22;`
replace_string = CE98E8, `progressFontSize:22;`, `progressFontSize:22;`
</Patch>

Aura:
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Compact homepage layout (Aura)`
patch_enable = `yes`
#DragonHomePageView (Search bar height)
replace_string = CDEE88, `min-height:100px;`, `min-height:090px;`
replace_string = CDEE9B, `max-height:100px;`, `max-height:090px;`
#QWidget (Space below search bar)
replace_string = CDF021, `min-height:40px;`, `min-height:02px;`
replace_string = CDF033, `max-height:40px;`, `max-height:02px;`
#MultiColumnTileView (Space between tiles)
replace_string = CDF1D1, `horizontalSpacing:10;`, `horizontalSpacing:02;`
replace_string = CDF1F2, `verticalSpacing:10;`, `verticalSpacing:02;`
#footer (Footer menu bar height)
replace_string = CDF61E, `min-height:95px;`, `min-height:68px;`
replace_string = CDF630, `max-height:95px;`, `max-height:68px;`
replace_string = CE63C4, `percentFontSize:28;`, `percentFontSize:22;`
replace_string = CE63E3, `progressFontSize:22;`, `progressFontSize:22;`
#RecentBookTile
replace_string = CE98C3, `percentFontSize:28;`, `percentFontSize:22;`
replace_string = CE98E8, `progressFontSize:22;`, `progressFontSize:22;`
</Patch>

Alternative custom footer patches with more examples:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=175

Custom Sleep/Power-off time menu options (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Custom Sleep/Power-off time menu options`
patch_enable = `yes`
# Values displayed on both menus
replace_string = D7EEB4, `5 mins\x00`, `10 mins`
replace_string = D7EEBC, `10 mins`, `20 mins`
replace_string = D7EEC4, `15 mins`, `30 mins`
replace_string = D7EECC, `30 mins`, `1 hour`
replace_string = D7EED4, `45 mins`, `2 hours`
replace_string = D7EEDC, `60 mins`, `4 hours`
# Actual values used for sleep menu, range 1-255 minutes
replace_int = A0FABA, 5, 10
replace_int = A0FB04, 10, 20
replace_int = A0FB48, 15, 30
replace_int = A0FB8C, 30, 60
replace_int = A0FBD0, 45, 120
replace_int = A0FC14, 60, 240
# Actual values used for power menu, range 1-255 minutes
replace_int = A0FCC8, 5, 10
replace_int = A0FD0C, 10, 20
replace_int = A0FD4E, 15, 30
replace_int = A0FD8E, 30, 60
replace_int = A0FDCE, 45, 120
replace_int = A0FE0C, 60, 240
</Patch>

Some publishers create their books in a way that prevents the line spacing set by the adjustment slider from taking effect. This patch forces the slider line spacing to be used in some of these books (but it might also override some line spacing that it shouldn't in other books).

Force user line spacing in KePubs (libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Force user line spacing in KePubs`
patch_enable = `yes`
# body, p { line-height: ...}  -->  div , p { line-height: ... }
#replace_string = D4051C, `b\x00o\x00d\x00y`, `d\x00i\x00v\x00\x20`
# body, p { line-height: ...}  -->  body,div,p{line-height:... }
replace_string = D4051C, `b\x00o\x00d\x00y\x00,\x00 \x00p\x00 \x00{\x00 \x00l\x00i\x00n\x00e\x00-\x00h\x00e\x00i\x00g\x00h\x00t\x00:\x00 \x00%`, `b\x00o\x00d\x00y\x00,\x00d\x00i\x00v\x00,\x00p\x00{\x00l\x00i\x00n\x00e\x00-\x00h\x00e\x00i\x00g\x00h\x00t\x00:\x00%`
</Patch>

kpg_conf_3110.zip attached contains all the patches from post #1 for use with kpg.exe. Some of the patches are for files other than libnickel.so.1.0.0 and these have been commented out.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kpg_conf_3110.zip (5.5 KB, 609 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-27-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Added `Custom Sleep/Power-off time menu options` and `Force user line spacing in KePubs` patches
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
scoky
Connoisseur
scoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy bluescoky can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; KOBO AURA HD
Thanks for your patch. I look forward to 'Remove system fonts in reader list' this feature.
scoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
GeoffR, thank you very much for the patcher for firmware 3.11.0.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Notes:

The following patches are not yet available for firmware 3.11.0:
- Freedom to advanced fonts control
- Remove system fonts in reader list
- Remove non-system fonts in reader list.

I should be able to get the last two patches working in time, but the first is more difficult and will probably require someone to find a new patch.

If you look in your device's config file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf you should find the settings for weight and sharpness for each sideloaded font that you adjusted previously. These might still work with the new firmware.
Since the font settings from previous firmware work in the new firmware, would it be possible for someone to create a program (Windows compatible) that would allow the same sort of font tinkering as we get on the Kobo so we can just load the new setting into the config file along with the fonts and everything would be good to go?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Wow, thanks for doing this so quickly, I was regretting upgrading to 3.11 last night having no footer (or a huge one).

I am liking `ePub fixed top margin` for my poorly formatted epubs. I like that it ignores @page setting in the books css.
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
I gonna look into it tomorrow.. hope I can do it this time myself.. got a partial stroke half august so it isn't all so clear anymore for me
(but imagine,they had to reset my heart,was in the hospital for 2 months,pulmonary embolism in both lungs and I am busy with my reader again )

Last edited by Nick_1964; 10-21-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Perfect! Thanks GeoffR
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Works perfectly! Thank you, thank you, thank you, GeoffR.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since the font settings from previous firmware work in the new firmware, would it be possible for someone to create a program (Windows compatible) that would allow the same sort of font tinkering as we get on the Kobo so we can just load the new setting into the config file along with the fonts and everything would be good to go?
Someone could write a program, but it should be easy enough just using a text editor to edit the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file, as long as on Windows you use one that understands unix line breaks such as Notepad++.

Code:
[Reading]
The sharpness set by the slider ranges from -0.4 to 0.2 (default -0.06), and weight from -0.2 to 0.8 (default 0.1).
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Someone could write a program, but it should be easy enough just using a text editor to edit the .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file, as long as on Windows you use one that understands unix line breaks such as Notepad++.

Code:
[Reading]
The sharpness set by the slider ranges from -0.4 to 0.2 (default -0.06), and weight from -0.2 to 0.8 (default 0.1).
Thank you for that. That helps. I just have to play around with the numbers to see what works for what font when I do get my H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #12
GeoffR
Wizard

There is a list of font names which are treated as system fonts even if they are sideloaded: Amasis, Avenir Next Medium, Caecilia, Delima, Felbridge, Georgia, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel, Malabar, Rockwell, Times New Roman. (The ones in bold don't exist in the current firmware, but used to be in earlier firmware 1.9.17.)

If you sideload a font with the exact same name as one of the ones in bold, it will be treated as a system font and the advanced menu will be available. It is also possible to change the names with a patch, but I think the length of the name has to stay the same.

For example here is a patch for libnickel.so.1.0.0 that changes Rockwell to Vollkorn (note both names have 8 characters, only tested with .ttf font):
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Modify system font list (Rockwell)`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = C35838, `R`, `V`
replace_string = C3583A, `o`, `o`
replace_string = C3583C, `c`, `l`
replace_string = C3583E, `k`, `l`
replace_string = C35840, `w`, `k`
replace_string = C35842, `e`, `o`
replace_string = C35844, `l`, `r`
replace_string = C35846, `l`, `n`
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-21-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: only tested with .ttf fonts
Old 10-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
What happens if you do get an error in Step 5 and no KoboRoot.tgz is created in the target directory? Everything before this point is processing, extracting, everything is ok messages for the files, until it stops at this point. I've definitely got the right firmware version installed, I double checked that first thing.

Edit: If I run the patch without making any changes at all, it completes fine, so let me see what I don't like with the default setup before worring about this. I was careful to keep spacing the same in the one area I did change, other than changing "no" to "yes" in a few places.

Edit 2: Actually it wasn't that I didn't make any changes, I had also redownloaded the patch file in case something went wrong with the download. It's all working as it should since I downloaded the patch file again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Error1.gif
Views:	940
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	129979  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-21-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
What happens if you do get an error in Step 5 and no KoboRoot.tgz is created in the target directory? Everything before this point is processing, extracting, everything is ok messages for the files, until it stops at this point. I've definitely got the right firmware version installed, I double checked that first thing.
There is an error in your patch file libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch, line 35 in the original file is:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
(This could also be caused by a change in the replace replace_string on line 17, post your whole patch here if you can't find the problem.)
Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I had redownloaded the file and it's working fine now. Must have been something wrong with the initial download or unzipping it.

With your patch now, this firmware almost makes me want to switch from 2.4.0 which I use on my main reader. The same fonts in the same books are even darker and thicker now than in the older firmware. If it wasn't for that hideous homescreen I would switch.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 10-21-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote