Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #1726
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
^ Yes, the Kobo Aura HD is calling to me as if I really need another ereader.

Perhaps I should start a Ebook READERS Buying Addicts' Support Thread.

Membership is free, by the way.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #1727
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Perhaps I should start a Ebook READERS Buying Addicts' Support Thread.

Membership is free, by the way.
Don
You probably would help a lot of people here, me including.
We had two Kindle Keyboards at home in perfect condition and I couldn't resist, I bought Paperwhite. And then two more PWs for mother and sister. Of course, all because of the light
Now, I am checking out new Kobo even though I've never used Kobo and it even seems they don't sell it in India - knowing which already shows where I am heading...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #1728
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
If you can hold off a couple of months, you can find out what all the other big players are coming out with and get the best one. At least that is what I am going to TRY to do!

I think that Aura is called Limited Edition only for targeting people trying to hold off What if they sell out
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1729
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I'm saving up for the Annual Georgette Heyer sale (hopefully). I have put off buying anything else. Can someone tell me around when does this happen?
Is there a reason to think that it is an annual sale? If so I also would like a notification about it...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #1730
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is there a reason to think that it is an annual sale? If so I also would like a notification about it...
There was a sale in August 2011 and in August 2012. That doesn't necessarily mean that there'll be a sale in August 2013.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #1731
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll be doing well not buying eBooks for a while. I'm considering a Kobo Aura HD and if I do I'll be broke for a while.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #1732
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll be doing well not buying eBooks for a while. I'm considering a Kobo Aura HD and if I do I'll be broke for a while.
So, your choice is about 34 some-odd ebooks [$5 each = $170]

or

an ebook reader sans cover

Either way sounds great to me!

Don
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #1733
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Yesterday, I mimicked the actions of a mad man by purchasing three (3) ebooks by Donald Harington, ["The Nearly Complete Works of Donald Harington"], each one priced at $3.

For members mathematically challenged, that totals $9 !
Here is the breakdown:

1) $3
2) $3
3) $3

As you can see, the amount staggers the imagination and flogs the buttocks with shame.

I attempted to turn myself in to the local constabulary, but they only laughed. "Git yer tail-end outta here," one Rhodes scholar quipped. 'Yer lockup would embar'as the real crim'nals."

Tucking my ebook firmly under one hairy armpit (I no longer have time to do any grooming, since all my free time is spent reading), I got out, vowing to return again with the heavy arsenal - perhaps 6 or 7 ebook readers, each one armed with thousands of ebooks. I intend to create mayhem when I return.

I then visited my local sanitarium, but found them all closed due to budget cuts that had taken place during the Reagan era.

Fortunately, a new help center had recently opened, "MobileRead's Ebookiuse Help Center For Known Abusers," who claim that one's ebook addiction is curable. I felt suddenly sad for any person who might not be known.

The structure looked like one gigantic outhouse, the appointments spartan. The entire structure was painted green, like a government desk.

A stern woman who looked like a well-built brick approached me. It was then that I fled in terror, my screams of fright echoing down the halls. I then carelessly scaled the barbed-wire fence that surrounded the compound and made my escape.

Tonight I plan to go back and rescue my ebook Reader. I hope it's still there and that no squirrels have claimed it.

Dr. Drib
- Help me, please!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #1734
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm come to the conclusion that a cure is impossible. I only hope now to keep my addiction under control.

I am an ebook buying addict. So far this month I have bought 8 ebooks. I am aiming to buy no more than another 63 for the rest of the year. That's a little under 8 a month. It's going to be tight!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #1735
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
What is it about ebooks (and ereaders) that make them so joyously hoardable?
I am spartan in my possessions except perhaps for the two ceiling-tall bookcases with my last treasured pbooks. I just say 'no' to alcohol, cigarettes, recreational drugs, and empty carbs having long ago used up my lifetime ration.

I have determined that it is Calibre's ability to stack up all my ebooks for my admiration that has created this obsessive compulsion to buy more...and more.
This genius program has created a security that access to my books will last out my lifetime even though said lifetime cannot possibly be long enough to read each one.

Some days (when little is on offer) my compulsion is controlled. Today Amazon's Daily Deal offers 40 mysteries & thrillers: each $1.99 or less. I am undone.

Last edited by BelleZora; 04-21-2013 at 10:35 AM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #1736
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I just counted up and I've read 12 purchased ebooks so far this year and bought 46. Oy. I could probably in justice shave something off the bought list, since I couldn't resist buying several Evelyn Waugh titles at the last BoB sale (and wish I'd bought more), but those are to replace my crumbling pbooks and not necessarily to be reread in the near term. Just the same....

My New Year's resolution was to ignore sales and coupons and only buy books (paying full and even agency price) when I was ready to read them, theorizing with a high degree of confidence that I'd save money. But the Kobo coupons in particular got me, especially the multi-use 40%-off ones in January and February.

Past time to get resolute. From now on, I can only buy a book just as I'm about to read it.
Four days later and I'm doing great! I've only bought the three Harrington books on sale at Amazon, the Coolidge biography at B&N's half-price sale, and used the 25% off coupon at Sony to purchase a book on my to-read list for this year. And as soon as I redeem the two very, very good coupons I have at Kobo, I'll stop. No more ebooks! Sigh.

I need an intervention.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #1737
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I need an intervention.
We tried an intervention several years ago with one of our members. We arrived at the e-book addict's house and confronted him about all the books he bought and all the time he was devoting to reading.

It was going well till someone asked him what author he was reading that had him so hooked. He mention the author's name and several of the interventionists remarked that they'd never read him, and was he that good. "Oh yes, replied the addict." And went into detail about the plots and writing style.

Within a few minutes we were all reading his books having completely forgotten what we'd come there for in the first place.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #1738
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm doing really well at restricting my purchases right now (necessity is an excellent motivator.) I did buy the May bundle on Baen, but that's really the only books I've bought in over a month. But I can feel the pressure building. Trying to sublimate by focusing on some of the good books I already have, but it's hard some days.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #1739
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I am trying to restrict myself to just my subscriptions and the Baen monthly bundles.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #1740
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Same here. And I've even skipped a couple of bundles where I didn't see anything that wowed me. Or at least nor more than one. Also, I've been using the BC Library when I can. Wait times are a bit much (for one book, I'm number 189 of 189. I might see it in 5 years or so.) But it's not like I don't have plenty to read.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote