Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
LRF vs Epub

Again, pardon my ignorance, but, if I have a bunch of books in LRF format, should I convert them (with Calibre) to Epub, or just leave them as is? Is there a difference?

I am using a Sony 350 pocket edition for reading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does the 350 read LRF fine? Are there pros/cons to each format?
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Convert a few to ePub and load both versions to your reader and see what looks best for you. When I had the 300 I preferred LRF because I liked full justification. Now that the 350 supports full justification I use ePub.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
Again, pardon my ignorance, but, if I have a bunch of books in LRF format, should I convert them (with Calibre) to Epub, or just leave them as is? Is there a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does the 350 read LRF fine? Are there pros/cons to each format?
Yes, the 350 will work nicely with LRFs, as LRF is a native SONY format.

Some user created LRF's may be problematic, but there is no particular reason to convert anything if you have no problems and are happy with the formatting.

I have standardized on EPUB, simply because like the flexibility of also reading the same book on my Netbook, Tablet, or Sony Reader.

There are nice EPUB readers for virtually all platforms now.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
LRF allows you to have header/footer areas on each page, (EPUB allows it "theoretically" but the viewers doesn't seem to support it)

LRF requires pre-formatting (figuring out, where does a page start/end) EPUB does not.
I'd suspect LRF viewer to be more efficient, but got no facts to support that theory.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post

Leave LRFs as they are. They are the best anyway. They have chapter titles as footnotes. ePub is....different. I am not saying it is bad, but if you have LRFs, use them while you can
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert