Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #15721
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I may read the next episode or two to give the serial a bit of a go, but if I can't reconcile myself to the writing I'll probably give it a way.
If you do decide to give a couple more a go, please post your thoughts. I have gathered seasons 1-3 as well and was considering at least season 1 for later this year. Thanks!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 AM   #15722
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Currently reading Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James. It can't hold my interest, it's a short book, just over 300 pages, and I haven't even read half of it since Sunday evening. It isn't bad either, I'm just indifferent towards it. I'll try to finish it today (I want to know the solution to the mystery) and then on to something hopefully more interesting.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #15723
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Well, I finished "You Only Die Twice," by Christopher Smith.

The novel is a quick read, very simplistic in the story-telling and with simple - almost child-like - writing.

It does have a lot of plot twists that will keep you [OK, are you ready for the cliche?] glued to your seat. Presumably, the cliche does not refer to one's posterior, but to a piece of furniture, since the alternative would make reading difficult. One would have to be a pretzel.....

This is a novel that only an Indie writer could have written (in my opinion): No big publisher would touch this one. (Again, in my opinion.) There's not enough here and the plot-point references are (a bit) repetitious. Although the characters have a bit of back-story [history], there's very little in the way of development.

So, what does this slight little book have going for it? Well, as I mentioned, the story-telling is excellent. The story moves along at a brisk pace, making it a fun, little read.

I can recommend this book if you like your novels brisk, neat, and simple. It engages on a very primal level. There's no big ideas here, nothing to get excited about. If you like books like this (and I certainly do, on some occasions), then I can recommend this book with the above reservations.

If you want something deep and beautiful, then I would suggest something by Mark Helprin, such as "Winter's Tale."

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-20-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #15724
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Road of Danger by David Drake. The latest in his RCN series. I think I will enjoy this one a lot.
Excellent, as usual. A good continuation of the RCN series.

Next up: another new book in a series I've liked, Honor's Paradox by P. C. Hodgell

My TBR list is now back to what it was at the end of last year. That is, the number of books I've read or otherwise removed from my TBR pile now matches the number I've bought this year. Let's hope I can keep my purchases down and my reading up and reduce my TBR to a more sensible size.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #15725
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I started Broken April by Ismail Kadare. I've been eagerly anticipating getting to this book on my list for a while.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #15726
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm currently reading The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama. It's interesting, albeit challenging since the political system is different in my country.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #15727
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm dipping into the classics - currently reading Jane Eyre. I'm enjoying more than I thought I would.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #15728
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Currently reading Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James. It can't hold my interest, it's a short book, just over 300 pages, and I haven't even read half of it since Sunday evening. It isn't bad either, I'm just indifferent towards it. I'll try to finish it today (I want to know the solution to the mystery) and then on to something hopefully more interesting.
I had the same problem with it and ended up doing a lot of skimming. It lacked personality, or charm, or something that would draw me into the story.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #15729
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yesterday I finished Star trek: TOS: Allegiance in Exile by David R. George III.

Quote:
A beautiful green world, rich in fertile soil and temperate climate . . . a textbook Class-M planet that should be teeming with life. Scans show no life-signs, but there are refined metals, including those associated with a space-faring race . . . and a lone city. But where are all of the inhabitants? Captain James T. Kirk leads a landing party from the U.S.S. Enterprise, hoping to get some answers.

The away team discovers a city in ruins, covered by dust, utterly bereft of life. Tricorder readings indicate that this is no ancient metropolis—it has been deserted only for a year. And just beyond the citadel lies what appears to be an ancient spaceport . . . a graveyard of ships that have clearly been sabotaged.

With these ruins too far from either the Klingon or the Romulan Empires, the Enterprise crew can only wonder: Who could have done this? And could this unnamed threat now pose an imminent danger to the Federation?
It was a fast read and quite enjoyable. It fills in some of the gaps between the TV series and the first movie.

I started the Dresden Files short B if for Bigfoot. After that comes another Dresden Files short, I was A Teenage Bigfoot.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-20-2013 at 12:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #15730
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Tony Hillerman & Carolyn Keene (Walter Karig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well now The Sinister Pig was a real treat and a little different than the preceding 15 novels in the series. Too bad the next novel is the last one in the series. Also I highly enjoyed reading The Clue in the Diary.

I promised my 12 year old grandson (a 7th grader) that I'd read a book he'd previously enjoyed and share my opinion of it with him, so I've just began reading Ridley Pearson's 1st YA novel in The Kingdom Keepers series, Disney After Dark. Along with that I'll also read the 8th of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, Nancy's Mysterious Letter. A pair of YA's!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
What with these 2 YA's along with all the other Nancy Drews I've been reading recently, I became interested in another book that I originally read during the same time period as the Nancy Drews (3rd & 4th grades). Several years ago (prior to the digital reader era) I bought 2 used hardbacks from a bookseller on the web. I've already re-read 1 of them, Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars by Ellen MacGregor. Anyway to make this YA adventure a bigger event, I drug out my hardback of Five Against Venus by Philip Latham (Robert Shirley Richardson) and dusted it off. Three YA's, WOWZERS!
I really enjoyed all 3 of the YA's Disney After Dark, Nancy's Mysterious Letter and Five Against Venus. Next I'm going to read the last (#17) of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysteries, Skeleton Man along with the 9th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Sign of the Twisted Candles.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #15731
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
I'm dipping into the classics - currently reading Jane Eyre. I'm enjoying more than I thought I would.
Very good book!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #15732
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
I really sat up and took notice at adults talking about reading the Nancy Drew books. These were huge for me as a child (plus the Hardy Boys mysteries which my brother had possession of, and hence, I coveted). Do they really hold your interest? So much to read. I hate to get sidetracked.
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #15733
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
I really sat up and took notice at adults talking about reading the Nancy Drew books. These were huge for me as a child (plus the Hardy Boys mysteries which my brother had possession of, and hence, I coveted). Do they really hold your interest? So much to read. I hate to get sidetracked.
You might be referring to me. I started reading Nancy Drew in 3rd grade and soon added The Hardy Boys. Then in 4th grade Rick Brandt Science-Adventures and finally the Robert A. Heinlein Juveniles from Schribner's which as the years went on expanded to the rest of Heinlein's work and then to many other Science Fiction authors.

The Nancy Drew books, being the first books I picked out and read for my own enjoyment (a habit started and encouraged by my 3rd and 4th grade teachers as well as my mom) are dear to me. I find that reading them while I'm reading another book is the best way for me to enjoy both. I start both at the same time and swap back and forth. Sometimes I get caught up and finish one or the other of them way ahead of the other, so I finish the one left after I've finished the other. Sometimes I swap back and forth between them quite evenly.

The answer is yes, they seem to be holding my interest, at least so far.

Last edited by alansplace; 02-22-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: edit text
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #15734
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
I did try to go back and read some Hardy Boy books because I remembered them so fondly... but they were just awful. I'm not sure if it was the writing, or the reflection of the times they were written... but I just couldn't take them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #15735
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool nostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I did try to go back and read some Hardy Boy books because I remembered them so fondly... but they were just awful. I'm not sure if it was the writing, or the reflection of the times they were written... but I just couldn't take them.

BOb
Gee, that's too bad. For me I experience nostalgia and that nostalgia maintains the fondness. I believe, at least for me, it's mostly in the mindset you approach the experience with. It's kind of similar to suspending ones disbelief.