Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Sony Survey

Editorial note: I've modified the link quoted in this post as it may be spam bait (see next post). I've left the post, however, as it's good it was brought up as it can be a caution for others that may receive such an email. Please be careful before clicking on this sort of link unless its validity can be verified. - Bob

I just got the following eMail:
Quote:
Sony would like you to know they are conducting a paid online bulletin board focus group discussion.

If you are interested in participating, they greatly appreciate your taking no more than 5 minutes to complete the following short screening survey. Your feedback will be used solely for research purposes and all responses will remain strictly confidential.

Each participant who qualifies and then fully participates in the 2nd phase of this project, the actual online bulletin board discussion group, will receive $60.

Thanks in advance for your interest.

Please click on the link below to begin the short survey.
http://surveys.itracks.com/...
It's a marketing survey about the Sony Reader and the Sony CONNECT Bookstore. Alas, they already have enough people like me for their study. Did anybody else get in? Please let us know what they are asking. Of course they could get similar data free from this forum, but the folks at itracks.com are probably not going to mention that.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do not click on that link. It is SPAM designed to collect active email addresses. It has nothing to do with SONY!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

OK, so how do you know that? This is a legitimate company, with a 9 year history on the web (according to the wayback machine). Are you part of Sony Marketing? How do you know what market research firms they use?

I know spam is a big problem, but Market Research is the way that big companies like Sony make business decisions. You are free not to participate, but then you can't complain when they act based on the inputs they get form other folks. I use distinctive eMail addresses, and this company got this address from Sony CONNECT.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
I got the same stuff in my mailbox and clicked on it. It wanted to put a cookie on my machine. I cleared five cookie boxes before it said it already had too many of my type. OK, it didn't ask me any questions and wanted to put a bunch of cookies on my machine.

If it is real this is a poor way of doing stuff. Acting like a spoofer, a phisher
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
RSaunders
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke
If it is real this is a poor way of doing stuff. Acting like a spoofer, a phisher
OK, I think we can agree that Sony Marketing of the Reader can be less that great. I just wondered what demographic they were looking to survey.
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

itracks, a Canadian company, had been listed at times on several very bad lists. I was once caught in a "survey" of theirs that resulted in a flood of spam so bad I had to change the email address. They may at times do real business with real companies. If this was a real survey then I am sorry to have posted the above comment. My past experience says otherwise.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote