Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
nikolaus
nikolaus began at the beginning.

Device: none
mark/highlight pdf documents

Hello,

I'm on the verge of buying one of the devices. The most important feature for me is to display pdf documents and being able to highlight sections in it. I would like to then copy the marked up documents back to the computer where I would like to see the highlighted sections again.

Can you please give me some feedback on how well this is working?

Thanks a lot.
nikolaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
You cannot "Highlight" areas in a pdf file, however you can write, underline and scribble all over it. These are then merged into a pdf that you can rename so you can keep original unmarked & a marked up copy.

It would be nice if in a future update a "highlight" function could be integrated though along side a "wide area" eraser.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
nikolaus
nikolaus began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I draw rectangles with color and highlight sections this way?

I really need highlighting. It's the killer feature that will trigger the 'buy' impulse. Can I highlight with another device (sony PRS-700)?

Thanks.
nikolaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
sthorpe
sthorpe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
With the PRS-700 you can highlight PDF files, but you cannot scribble on them.
sthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
You cannot "Highlight" areas in a pdf file, however you can write, underline and scribble all over it. These are then merged into a pdf that you can rename so you can keep original unmarked & a marked up copy.

It would be nice if in a future update a "highlight" function could be integrated though along side a "wide area" eraser.
What that ^ guy said. A highlight function would be cool, but to my knowledge it simply doesn't exist currently for PDF's.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Or, you can set up a PDF as a template file on a DR, so a new document is created when you open it and scribble on it.

With the iLiad, scribbles are managed differently.You can scribble on a PDF, then merge your scribbles in blue, red, green or black (your choice) to a PC.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can highlight text in the Xournal application which has an 'Annotate PDF' menu option. Unfortunately this feature isn't yet working on the DR1000S port. Hopefully some of the programming wizards will be able to get all the Xournal features working because it promises to be an incredibly useful application.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
thomega
Connoisseur
thomega began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
A highlight function would be cool, but to my knowledge it simply doesn't exist currently for PDF's.
With my scribble merger http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/irextools/ one can choose the color and the opacity of the scribbles (since I don't have windows, I can't check whether the original scribble merger allows that too). Using the thickest possible pen and a translucent color, an approximation to highlighting. (Caveat emptor: though the code is portable, I haven't been able to make compilation painless for non-technical users of Windows and OSX. See this thread for discussions and solutions.)
thomega is offline   Reply With Quote