Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Favorite Spy Authors?

I've been a big fan of Spy/Espionage novels for quite a while now so I was just curious as to some of th authors you like. I've read quite a few of the classics but any others you like, particularly newer authors?

Here are some of the authors I've read:
Ted Bell

Tom Clancy

Ian Fleming

Vince Flynn

Ken Follet

Frederick Forsyth

Alan Furst

James Grady

John Le Carre

Daniel Silva

Brad Thor

Last edited by mcrow; 12-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Le Carré is "the master", to my mind. Nobody else comes close.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Le Carré is "the master", to my mind. Nobody else comes close.
Agreed, but any others that you have enjoyed?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Len Deighton's another good author. He's written some excellent spy novels (eg he wrote "The IPCRESS File", which was made into a film starring Michael Caine). Deighton is a man of many talents: as well as being a novelist, he's a noted military historian, graphic artist, and author of cookery books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Robert Ludlum is a classic writer not in your list.

Mick Herron is a current writer who spoofs the spy genre since cold war spies are out of fashion in the modern era, Slow Horses and a followup are very entertaining.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
mcrow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Robert Ludlum is a classic writer not in your list.

Mick Herron is a current writer who spoofs the spy genre since cold war spies are out of fashion in the modern era, Slow Horses and a followup are very entertaining.
Yeah, forgot Ludlim for some reason. Yes, his great.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
At the top of my list in this category is Eric Ambler. He wrote some superb espionage stories, including Epitaph for a Spy, Journey Into Fear, and many others.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ludlum, Le Carre, and Forsythe are probably my eternal favorites.

David Baldacci isn't bad, at least on par with Brad Thor. I'd add some of the books of Eric Van Lustbader, when he isn't leaning toward mysticism.

I also need to plug one of my more recent favored spy/horror mash-up authors, Jonathan Maberry (his Joe Ledger series).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
mcrow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Ludlum, Le Carre, and Forsythe are probably my eternal favorites.

David Baldacci isn't bad, at least on par with Brad Thor. I'd add some of the books of Eric Van Lustbader, when he isn't leaning toward mysticism.

I also need to plug one of my more recent favored spy/horror mash-up authors, Jonathan Maberry (his Joe Ledger series).
I have read one of Van Lustbader's "Bourne" novels and was pleasently surprised with it but have not read any of his original novels.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
At the top of my list in this category is Eric Ambler. He wrote some superb espionage stories, including Epitaph for a Spy, Journey Into Fear, and many others.

Mike
Ambler is one of my favourite authors, too. I specially liked (and often go back to) The Intercom Conspiracy.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
How about Helen MacInnes? I noticed that her books have now become available as e-books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
John Le Carre and Len Deighton of course, but I also enjoyed Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series, even though maybe not spy novels strictly speaking.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Len Deighton's another good author. He's written some excellent spy novels (eg he wrote "The IPCRESS File", which was made into a film starring Michael Caine). Deighton is a man of many talents: as well as being a novelist, he's a noted military historian, graphic artist, and author of cookery books.
Deighton is only available in the UK store, I guess his American Publisher isn't a fan of e-books.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I vote for Adam Hall's Quiller series.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I always enjoyed the Matt Helm series by Donald Hamilton.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote