Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #15661
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm now a goodly portion through A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute. I'm very glad this book was chosen by the book club for February. Although the writing itself doesn't inspire me much, it's very easy to get swept away in the story.
OK - just finished. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The writing felt a little simplistic at times, but the story itself is wonderful. It certainly feels like that sweeping Australian drama/romance that lends itself to the movie and mini-series that was made. I actually haven't watched either of them, but I may now that I've read this book. I found myself quite often carried away in the story.

Now I'm reading an indie work, Untimed by Andy Gavin. I don't know if any of you are or were gamers, but this is the guy that created the games Crash Bandicoot and Jak & Dakster. He's obviously decided to start writing novels and he has two published so far. This one is a young adult, clockpunk offering.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #15662
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The Good House by Ann Leary - I don't read all that many novels, but I like this one so much I'm thinking of getting a copy as a gift for my mom (mine is a library book).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #15663
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
OK - just finished. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The writing felt a little simplistic at times, but the story itself is wonderful. It certainly feels like that sweeping Australian drama/romance that lends itself to the movie and mini-series that was made. I actually haven't watched either of them, but I may now that I've read this book. I found myself quite often carried away in the story.
I just finished A Town Like Alice. I agree that it was enjoyable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #15664
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished A Town Like Alice this morning, too. Shute does some strange things but he can really tell a story. (I consider myself an expert now I've read two of his books. )

I wasn't sure I was in the mood to read it when I picked it up, but I thought I'd give it a try and abandon it if it didn't grab me. No problems there.

Next is probably going to be The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Yet another second-hand pbook. For some reason I seem to be reverting to low-tech this year.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #15665
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Next is probably going to be The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Yet another second-hand pbook. For some reason I seem to be reverting to low-tech this year.
Interested in what you think of it. I bought the ebook a couple of years ago and still haven't read it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #15666
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just finished "Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore" by Robin Sloan and loved it. Next up: "The perks of being a wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #15667
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Loading up The Works of Poe from the MR Library ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #15668
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I am currently reading Jaws. I've seen the movie - and sequels - many times but never read the book. It's very different!
True. In the movie...

Spoiler:
The sheriff's wife didn't have an affair with Hooper.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-16-2013 at 10:29 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #15669
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Just finished "Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore" by Robin Sloan and loved it. Next up: "The perks of being a wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky.
I think Hermione is in that book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #15670
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
A Wild Sheep Chase, by Murakami
Wonderfully surreal!
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #15671
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmsu View Post
A Wild Sheep Chase, by Murakami
Wonderfully surreal!

I haven't read that one in a while, I might be due for a reread!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #15672
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I started reading Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #15673
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Ridley Pearson & Carolyn Keene (Walter Karig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Finished both The Secret of Red Gate Farm and Blood of the Demon. Enjoyed them both a lot. Now I'm going to read The 7th of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, The Clue in the Diary and the 16th of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysteries, The Sinister Pig.
Well now The Sinister Pig was a real treat and a little different than the preceding 15 novels in the series. Too bad the next novel is the last one in the series. Also I highly enjoyed reading The Clue in the Diary.

I promised my 12 year old grandson (a 7th grader) that I'd read a book he'd previously enjoyed and share my opinion of it with him, so I've just began reading Ridley Pearson's 1st YA novel in The Kingdom Keepers series, Disney After Dark. Along with that I'll also read the 8th of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, Nancy's Mysterious Letter. A pair of YA's!!

Last edited by alansplace; 02-17-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: fix typo
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #15674
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Finished Escape from Camp 14 by Blaine Harden. Some good, some bad. I think the book would have been more effective if it left out some of the South Korean information nearer the end. I think it lost a lot of weight with it.

Now I'm off to Finnie Walsh by Steven Galloway. You haven't let me down in two stories yet Steven. Here's hoping the first is also a winner.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #15675
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Linda Prather's The Gifts - great paranormal mystery.

http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Jacody-M...=linda+prather
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote