Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Any opinions on the best free blog for a novelist?

There's so many to choose from. E-blogger looks good. So does Wordpress. Tumblr looks kind of twitter-ish. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
All I can really say is that I chose WordPress. It gave me the mix of ease-of-use and adaptability that I was looking for.

Before I made a choice I spent a few weeks paying special attention to the various websites that I visited and noting what they used (product and theme). This gave me some idea of what each product was capable of. I then installed WordPress internally here and played with it for a few weeks before deciding on what theme I wanted to use. Then I spent another few weeks playing with that theme until I got the "look" I wanted. And then I went live.

It doesn't need to be as long a process as what I make it sound like above, most of the products can be up and running very quickly if you're happy to go with what you're given as defaults, but I was in a high procrastination phase (I'm rare out of it ), and spent a lot of time trying to achieve something particular. Also the theme I chose (Atahualpa) was one specifically created for its adaptability, so it took longer to setup than most themes.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
WordPress works best for blogging and you can get a free one if you don't want to go through the hassle of running your own. I've never heard of E-blogger.

Tumblr is more for comics and memes. I have my WP crosspost to my Tumblr, but I wouldn't try to use Tumblr for serious writing. Plus the crowd is usually teenagers or people in fandom.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Another vote for Wordpress... IMO no one does blogs better then Wordpress.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Blogger.com (also known as blogspot.com) has great google search results. Google owns blogger, so naturally it self-promotes the blogs in it's search results. I've had a lot of success with google tuning into my articles keywords and promoting my work through the site.

I like tumblr.com because it also helps promote. You can add 'tags' to your work, which allows other readers to search and find it.
WordCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #6
PainMike
the Gusto Gargoyle
PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A5
Did not believe whole blogging until attempt to author. Went to Wordpress. Couple of times the New Post got stuck or images behaved inconsistently. I'm old half-nerd but the interface felt confusing at first. When used to it, it felt grateful. Every possible stats and info. Pay for more but I'm happy without million more settings. And to my surprise I found their spam interesting, about new styles and definitely the Favs posts section tells you where the wind comes from.
In the other hand I have not tried others. I'll move to pay if...erm, when I start selling and that's more features.
PainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use WordPress. I've always preferred reading WordPress blogs over Blogger blogs, so I went with the one I'd rather read myself.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I use blogspot.com - free and after evaluating it and wordpress (free from my hosting service).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
+1 for Wordpress. My only basis of comparison was a review of the major ones about six years ago. Went with WP and never looked back.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Here's a good comparison of blogger and wordpress:

http://www.techlila.com/articles/whi...press-blogger/

and another comparison
http://pulsed.blogspot.com/2007/07/b...ess-chart.html

and a pretty extensive comparison at computerworld:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...9&pageNumber=1

the computerworld conclusion:
Quote:
Conclusions

Both Blogger and WordPress.org are excellent choices for anyone looking for a hosted blogging service. WordPress is clearly aimed at those who are willing to spend time learning its features and can handle an occasionally confusing interface. It offers a wider range of tools for adding content, more widgets and better social networking integration, and superior customization.

Blogger, on the other hand, is much simpler to set up and easier to use; you'll be able to create a blog and manage it in less time and with less effort than is required in WordPress.

So the choice is clear: If you want the fullest set of blogging features, you want WordPress, but if you're looking for simplicity and streamlined blog creation and posting, Blogger is the way to go.

Last edited by kennyc; 02-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
You might also checking out LiveJournal, which is less effective in terms of marketing, but very useful if your primary objective is to share experiences and network with other writers.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
All I can really say is that I chose WordPress. It gave me the mix of ease-of-use and adaptability that I was looking for.

Before I made a choice I spent a few weeks paying special attention to the various websites that I visited and noting what they used (product and theme). This gave me some idea of what each product was capable of. I then installed WordPress internally here and played with it for a few weeks before deciding on what theme I wanted to use. Then I spent another few weeks playing with that theme until I got the "look" I wanted. And then I went live.

It doesn't need to be as long a process as what I make it sound like above, most of the products can be up and running very quickly if you're happy to go with what you're given as defaults, but I was in a high procrastination phase (I'm rare out of it ), and spent a lot of time trying to achieve something particular. Also the theme I chose (Atahualpa) was one specifically created for its adaptability, so it took longer to setup than most themes.
Thanks again, G.M.,
Good advice. And I hear you about the "high procrastination." (I just read a book a while ago called "The Discovery of Slowness" by Sten Nadolny. There ARE some good things about slowness. lol) Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
WordPress works best for blogging and you can get a free one if you don't want to go through the hassle of running your own. I've never heard of E-blogger.

Tumblr is more for comics and memes. I have my WP crosspost to my Tumblr, but I wouldn't try to use Tumblr for serious writing. Plus the crowd is usually teenagers or people in fandom.
thanks Harper. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Another vote for Wordpress... IMO no one does blogs better then Wordpress.
thanks Vydor
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordCountess View Post
Blogger.com (also known as blogspot.com) has great google search results. Google owns blogger, so naturally it self-promotes the blogs in it's search results. I've had a lot of success with google tuning into my articles keywords and promoting my work through the site.

I like tumblr.com because it also helps promote. You can add 'tags' to your work, which allows other readers to search and find it.
Thanks Countess. Yeah, the whole Google thing is pretty appealing. Plus the simplicity. Appreciate the feedback.