Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
ballast
Enthusiast
ballast is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Unhappy Using Calibre with CM7 rooted Nook Color?

I am having a problem using Calibre with my CM7 rooted Nook color. Maybe someone here has some insight as to how to resolve the problem.

I rooted my Nook color with Froyo 2.2 and Calibre is working just fine with it. With the new B&N 1.2 pseudo Android release being pushed to the Nook, I have some fears that they will "update" my rooted Nook.

In anticipation of that, I have prepared a bootable SD card of the stable release of CM7 2.3 Gingerbread. It works fine in most respects, but is not working with Calibre. I suspect the problem is twofold - when I attach the Nook to my PC using the usb cable, my computer does not recognize either Nook SD drive as a valid drive and I believe, therefore, that Calibre cannot find the Nook.

I can install CM7 on the Nook Main card, but that will wipe out my Froyo install (which is performing marvelously) and I would prefer not to do that if possible. And I'm not sure that will resolve the problem anyway.

I am pursuing the problem with the CM7 forum as well, but you folks on the Calibre forum are always trying new things and maybe someone has a brilliant suggestion.... Thanks
ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Rooted / modified devices are not supported.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct forum.

Apart from what user_none said, the device needs to be connected as a removable drive in order to be recognized by Calibre.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Also, if it's not being recognized but mounting as a removable drive on your computer you can use the connect to folder functionality.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
gbond
gbond began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
My wife bought a Nook Color about a year ago. One of the employees suggested that she root her NC in order to take advantage of other readers, especially Kindel. With neither of us being really tech savy, I opted to get her a pre-loaded Froyo 2.2 SD. Thus far she has struggled somewhat with getting downloads. It took hours to download the Kindle app and she is not having any luck getting the Nook app. The preloaded Android apps seem to be working fine. I have read a lot of forum notes on many sites and only become more confused. So I have a few basic questions before we give up.
Should we have Calibre downloaded? If so, is it a direct download to the NC or to a PC and then to the NC? Is there any particular action we need to take that once Calibre is installed for the NC to be recognized a removable drive? Does increasing the clocking actually speed up performance...i.e. downloads or just execution of apps?
gbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbond View Post
My wife bought a Nook Color about a year ago. One of the employees suggested that she root her NC in order to take advantage of other readers, especially Kindel. With neither of us being really tech savy, I opted to get her a pre-loaded Froyo 2.2 SD. Thus far she has struggled somewhat with getting downloads. It took hours to download the Kindle app and she is not having any luck getting the Nook app. The preloaded Android apps seem to be working fine. I have read a lot of forum notes on many sites and only become more confused. So I have a few basic questions before we give up.
Should we have Calibre downloaded? If so, is it a direct download to the NC or to a PC and then to the NC? Is there any particular action we need to take that once Calibre is installed for the NC to be recognized a removable drive? Does increasing the clocking actually speed up performance...i.e. downloads or just execution of apps?
Calibre DOES NOT run on a reading device like the Nook.
Calibre is to manage your Library on a Windows/MAC/Linux PC

Since your friend was so helpful, get him to help install the 'other' reader software
(One of the reasons that I DO NOT recommend 'non-traditional software installs' to a novice user is: I will need to support that user
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
gbond
gbond began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
So your saying Calibre sort of acts like iTunes and will sync installed sotware on devices connected to the computer?
gbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbond View Post
So your saying Calibre sort of acts like iTunes and will sync installed sotware on devices connected to the computer?
IMHO it behaves lots better than iTunes (I don't use that. i Don't own an apple device )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Gdzhlpr
Connoisseur
Gdzhlpr began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Also, if it's not being recognized but mounting as a removable drive on your computer you can use the connect to folder functionality.
how do you use the connect to folder function? I can send to the nook using Calibre however I cannot see the books in calibre it is not a sync only send to for me since I updated to cynogenmod7
Gdzhlpr is offline   Reply With Quote