Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
Tom Storer
Tom Storer began at the beginning.

Device: None
Guidance needed

Hello,

I'm looking for an ebook reader as a gift for my wife. She works in publishing and constantly hauls around print-outs of manuscripts. Here's the device I'm looking for:

- must read DOC and PDF (she's not interested in downloading ebooks, surfing the web or playing MP3 files, only in reading the manuscripts she receives)
- must be comfortable to read
- must turn pages rapidly (she needs to read fast)
- must have at least 12 hours power autonomy
- mustn't weigh a ton
- bookmarking and note entry a plus
- price not the major consideration

You who are experts, what device best fits that description?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Storer
Tom Storer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Red face Welcome to Mobile Read

I am relatively new hear as well. you should look around in the Forums There are several e-readers that fit most of your qualifications. The newly released Kindle is the talk of the forums now. But, there is also the Cybook, the Hanlin,
the iRex iliad and a few more. All seem to have their pluses and minuses.

I for one am still with my pocket pc, waiting for a mini eink reader to come to the market.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Storer View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for an ebook reader as a gift for my wife. She works in publishing and constantly hauls around print-outs of manuscripts. Here's the device I'm looking for:

- must read DOC and PDF (she's not interested in downloading ebooks, surfing the web or playing MP3 files, only in reading the manuscripts she receives)
- mustn't weigh a ton

Thanks in advance,

Tom Storer
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
I don't think the kindle does PDF's... it's really geared towards downloading from the amazon store, and so you should probably avoid that one.

none of them do PDF's very well because PDF's are formatted to 8.5/11 typically... but if she can resize them for a smaller device than it'll be fine on something like the cybook or hanlin or iliad or...sony? I'm not sure about the sony and PDF either.

according to the comparison matrix here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
the hanlin v3 is the only one that will display her .doc files. It looks like they all do PDF except the sony and the stareread.

The iliad has the biggest screen so is best for full sized PDF.

the iliad has the least battery life (touch screen and wifi take up battery).. but even that will give her 12 hours I think.

The others all like to say something like "about a month reading 300 pages per day" .... it's something like 7,000-10,000 page refreshes. They all use the same screens and similar processors so it's mainly only software differences and what particular li-ion battery is used.

It's too bad iliad is still the only large screen one. I don't really like the idea of all the extra features in the iliad.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Other posts suggest that if the PDFs are amenable to convertion (via a command line tool?) then they'd be OK on one of the smaller readers, but if the full page view is important, then either the iLiad (for 1/2 pages at a time) or a tablet pc.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
- mustn't weigh a ton
I think you probably ought to look at the EBookwise 1150 and it's siblings. They have an LCD screen so you'll have the faster response you need, and I believe that they'll handle most of your other requirements too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only current e-book reader that is even close to your needs is the iLiad. It has the largest available E-Ink screen (8.1"). The device is essentially A5 size, and the screen is a bit smaller than that. It can read letter/A4 PDFs comfortably (zoom to remove margins, and perhaps flip to landscape and show half a page per screen). It also does note taking (Wacom Penabled touch screen), but the notes need a companion Windows PC program for character recognition etcetera. For DOC files, you should probably convert to PDF first on a PC and then read as PDF on the iLiad. The iLiad has a much shorter battery life than other E-Ink devices, but it lasts at least 15 hours. There are several threads with photos of the iLiad reading PDFs, for example Technical Document Examples and Photos from medical journals. Note that the medical thread includes both photos and screenshots (copies of the display bitmap). Also, both photos and screenshots may be scaled by your web browser to fit the screen. If so, click on them again to get the full effect.

If the iLiad is too small, then you should look at tablet PCs - but battery life is typically short.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello,

- mustn't weigh a ton

Thanks in advance,

Tom Storer
If you want to read PDF and take notes, then the iLiad is your best bet at the moment. It has the largest screen, highest resolution and does allow note taking. The iLiad is the best eink device currently to display letter sized PDF with no editing.

If your wife can live without note taking, then you could go for the Sony 505 and use pdflrf to clean up the PDF so it is more readable. If she can has the original documents that are used to create the PDF, then if you create them for the 505's screen size, then the PDF wonn't need to be edited and will display just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:09 AM   #8
Tom Storer
Tom Storer began at the beginning.

Device: None
After further consultation with the missus, it seems she gets primarily DOC files to read, with the occasional PDF. Therefore without support for DOC, it won't fly. Conversion of every DOC file to PDF, plus the need to resize PDF files for comfortable reading, make that a non-starter too. So much for Iliad!

Ebookwise 1150 looked promising, if small, but they don't ship outside the USA and I'm in France.

It's looking more and more like a Hanlin is in her future.

Thank you for your replies!
Tom Storer is offline   Reply With Quote