Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Keep my M92 & PRS-350 or replace them with Onyx T68?

As per title, I am really tempted by the T68, it has Android, lighted screen, higher resolution than both of my current e-readers.

Should I sell my current readers and replace them with the T68?
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Only you can decide that, of course, but take a look at this post to help you decide.

You could alse get an M96 to replace your M92, if 6.8" is too small and it's Android you want. Or wait for the i86, if you want something in between (8").

I'm waiting for the i86 myself.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The T68 is extremely good, but it's not a "take it out of the box and use it" device like a Sony or a Kindle. It does need a bit of effort to find apps that work well with the eInk screen and get everything set up the way you want it, which not everyone may have the patience (or indeed the knowledge) to do. But the results are - for me, at least - worth the effort. It's the best reading device I've ever owned.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Hi Harry

How is reading textbook PDF on it? Are the fonts clear to fit one page in landscape mode on the T68?

I fear the 6.8 inch might not be big enough.

PS, what is the difference between normal version and Lynx version?

And can the T68 detect finger? The M92 could not...

Last edited by FinancialWar; 07-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
Hi Harry

How is reading textbook PDF on it? Are the fonts clear to fit one page in landscape mode on the T68?
About as good as reading on a 7" tablet. Doable, but not ideal. You really need a 10" tablet for PDF.

Quote:
PS, what is the difference between normal version and Lynx version?
Two firmware versions: "onyx-international", and "Artatech" (Lynx). The Lynx version is the one sold by Amazon and onyx-boox.com (it's the version I have). Very little difference. Not enough to worry about. See the Onyx forum for more details.

Quote:
And can the T68 detect finger? The M92 could not...
I don't know what you mean by that, I'm afraid. Can you clarify?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
FinancialWar
Banned

thanks.

Disregard the last question. I found out the answer by watch youtube videos on the T68.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know what you mean by that, I'm afraid. Can you clarify?
THe M92 needs a stylus to operate the touchscreen (it's Wacom tech). @FinancialWar: the T68 has a normal capacitive screen and doesn't need a stylus.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
THe M92 needs a stylus to operate the touchscreen (it's Wacom tech). @FinancialWar: the T68 has a normal capacitive screen and doesn't need a stylus.
And of course it has page-turn buttons, too.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
The Kobo Aura HD and the T68 have the same size screen. I've been reading my PDFs on a Kobo with Koreader and have been pretty happy. They're mostly programming books so not a lot of diagrams but the diagrams I do have are usually pretty good. Occasionally they're a little small. I would think you'd be OK on the T68.
  • The koreader software is supposed to run on Android but I've been frustrated to say the least trying to get it to run.
  • Mantano reader has a great pdf mode that will automatically crop the pages, pretty much the same as koreader. When I'm using an Android device, that's my reader of choice.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #10
FinancialWar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
M92 can't be Wacom screen. Because neither my Thinkpad nor my Samsung Note stylus work with M92.

M92 must have another digitizer technology.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
M92 can't be Wacom screen. Because neither my Thinkpad nor my Samsung Note stylus work with M92.

M92 must have another digitizer technology.
Interesting. Onyx claims it's Wacom: https://onyx-boox.com/e-book-readers...2-black-pearl/
Old 07-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's more than one type of Wacom screen, and the styluses are not mutually compatible.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
FinancialWar
Banned

What about the refresh rate? The M92 was very slow, scrolling around pdf was a pain in the ass.

I suppose the processor of the T68 is much better than the M92?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the best reading device I've ever owned.
Welcome to the dark-side, Kindle lover.

Last edited by Rizla; 07-23-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
@FinancialWar: Check out the very long discussion on the first-impressions thread for the device on thedigitalreader.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote