Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
Shepard
Shepard began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Question Can I read my Nook Books on a Sony Reader?

I have a Sony Reader T2. I signed into my Kobo and Adobe. I was able to put my Google Books in my Sony easily.

I am having trouble with Nook Books. I put my Nook Books into my Adobe Digital Editions by unlocking it with my full name and credit card number. Now I can read the Nook Book on my PC through Adobe Digital Editions.

But when I try to open my Nook Book on my Sony Reader I get the Nook Book is not authorize.

If I can read my Nook Books through Adobe Digital Editions on my computer, why can't I read it on my Sony Reader? Does anyone know if I can read my Nook Books on my Sony Reader?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sorry to tell you that Nook books have a different type of DRM than what Sony can read. That's why you get the error message. Google books and Kobo books will work ok with your reader though.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can read most nok books on a Sony Reader only if they are DRM free (aka Tor) or you know how to strip the DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you want to strip the DRM, google "apprentice alf".

(Official forum policy is, no giving detailed help for DRM-removal. It isn't illegal, but the legal hassle of proving it is not something MR wishes to deal with; hence no detailed DRM-removal guidance here. But we can tell you this much.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
If I can read my Nook Books through Adobe Digital Editions on my computer, why can't I read it on my Sony Reader? Does anyone know if I can read my Nook Books on my Sony Reader?
I've got a T2 and a NST. You'll need Calibre and "Apprentice Alf" to free your Nook books for reading on the T2. It's not hard and works well. Also allows you to convert Kindle books for your T2. (Or vice versa.)

And Calibre also allows you to fix badly formatted books. I bought one for the Nook recently (if the book is available on Barnes & Noble and Amazon, I usually try to buy it on B&N because I don't want them to go belly up), but in this case the Nook version was terribly formatted -- and locked that way. (Huge spaces between the lines.) If I hadn't been able to clean it up with Calibre I would have returned it and bought the Kindle version, which was formatted well (at least the sample was).

EDIT: I see I've basically repeated what eschwartz said. Sorry for the redundancy.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-19-2014 at 06:43 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Because the way DRM works (and the nook version is a particularly obnoxious version ) is that the book or whatever is only authorized for one device .. the original device you purchase it with .... do a google on DRM and you may find a solution or use your T2 to purchase download ...
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Because the way DRM works (and the nook version is a particularly obnoxious version ) is that the book or whatever is only authorized for one device .. the original device you purchase it with .... do a google on DRM and you may find a solution or use your T2 to purchase download ...
Nook DRM isn't tied to device at all, it's a username (customer name) password (CC number) setup. Regular Adobe Adept DRM is generally tied to Adobe ID (although it can be tied to a particular ADE install if you don't authorize with an Adobe ID). Amazon DRM (Mobi) is tied to each specific device.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Because the way DRM works (and the nook version is a particularly obnoxious version ) ...
Just curious, what makes the Nook version of DRM more obnoxious than the other versions?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I suspect bla means that it's less compatible with fewer non-B&N readers than other Adobe DRM schemes are.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems like an obvious question... is your reader authorized ... I don't have a T2 but on the T1 you can look under setting-about-device Information to find out
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
bla
E bookworm

Nook has a type of drm that includes not just device but personal data I am not an expert on nook drm but that could be why ... but if you are authorized with the same adobe id on both devices then if you can read it on one you should be able to read it on the other
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
... but if you are authorized with the same adobe id on both devices then if you can read it on one you should be able to read it on the other
While that would seem logical, unless I'm mistaken there is a component of the DRM in the Adobe part of the device firmware and companies other than Nook haven't paid to "turn on" the particular section that allows it to use the DRM that Nook uses. So I don't believe it's possible to use a Nook DRM protected epub on other epub devices. At least that's my understanding.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:37 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
While that would seem logical, unless I'm mistaken there is a component of the DRM in the Adobe part of the device firmware and companies other than Nook haven't paid to "turn on" the particular section that allows it to use the DRM that Nook uses. So I don't believe it's possible to use a Nook DRM protected epub on other epub devices. At least that's my understanding.
I think you have that right. If I take a DRM protected Nook book, download it and try to side-load it to my T2, it's not going to work -- unless it takes a detour through Calibre and Apprentice Alf.