Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
as long as you're not selling your work,or using it for commercial purposes I'm fine with that.

I still need to find the time to create an intro for the old testament. Some bibles have an introduction before chapter 1 of every book inside the bible that needs to be displayed.

Work did not allow me to create it yet.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
as long as you're not selling your work,or using it for commercial purposes I'm fine with that.

I still need to find the time to create an intro for the old testament. Some bibles have an introduction before chapter 1 of every book inside the bible that needs to be displayed.

Work did not allow me to create it yet.
those introductions might be copyrighted even though the Bible text itself is not. Or are you talking about writing your own?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #18
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
those introductions might be copyrighted even though the Bible text itself is not. Or are you talking about writing your own?

Dale
Well, there is a difference in an introduction of the bible, which can be done by someone,and can be under copyright; or Bible book introductions which fall under the same copyright status as the books or data inside the bible.

Eg: the book introductions of Matthew Henry's bible commentary are open source, just like the rest of the book.

KJV and ASV have no introductions, but I've included a bible frame versions without the introduction as well in the .rar.

If there are bibles in copyright, the copyright status usually applies to the bible book introductions too.

There are few bible commentaries that are open source that have book introductions.

but technically, or usually copyright info allows users to use upto a certain amount of verses or pages to be used in a document.
One could create a summary of reading the introductions of different bible versions, and put that in the introduction, or just put some personal notes there while encoding.
Or even copy parts of the introduction of different bibles, as long as the copied text falls into copyright regulations.

It's no more like I created an extra chapter per bible book.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-14-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Haven't had any time yet to update a new version with old testament intro.
In case you're waiting for it,please leave a note.
I'mkind of doing priorities right now,and as long as noone really needs the OT with introduction, I'd prefer moving it on the slow lane.

Just leave a note if you are waiting, then I'll try prioritizing it higher.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
LaurelRusswurm
self publishing novelist
LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.

Device: none
I know this is an old thread I've stumbled on, and this isn't about your software (I am not technical enough to comment), but on your copyright statement.

If you say: "This file is free of copyright" you are dedicating it to the Public Domain. Essentially this statement has emancipated your work from the "protection" of copyright. But what you say after indicates that is not what you want to do.

The many and varied licenses (the most famous being the GPL and Creative Commons) that have sprung up to mitigate the insanity of patent and copyright law in recent years, restrict or empower as desired by using copyright law. Copyright law is what allows the license to have "teeth." Once you renounce copyright, you also renounce any ability to apply restrictions.

It sounds like what you want is a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Sharealike license (CC by-nc-sa) People do write their own licenses, of course, but one should be very well versed in the law, or get legal advice, before doing so, if you want to be sure of the ground. Using an untested license places your work at the mercy of the law courts, which can range very widely these days.
LaurelRusswurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Thank you for the advise, and my apologies for my late reply.
I don't know much of copyright at all, and I'm sure if there's someone out there that wants to sue, they can, and force mobile read to remove my creation.
However, all I wanted with this is for this file to remain readily available for people creating their bibles.

And in some ways, the date and the time of posting protects me from someone filing a patent or copyright on a similar file in the future.

Ofcourse, I'm entirely dependent upon the mobileread servers. If they ever lose the data, so will my evidence. In some ways it basically protects the file from most common thievery and lawsuits, though not all of them.

Kind of like putting a lock on a bike. Eventhough those locks are easily picked, they still protect the bike from most commoners to pick it up and run away with it!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thank you for the advise, and my apologies for my late reply.
I don't know much of copyright at all, and I'm sure if there's someone out there that wants to sue, they can, and force mobile read to remove my creation.
However, all I wanted with this is for this file to remain readily available for people creating their bibles.
Then you need to remove the line "This file is free from copyright", since that evidently is not your intention. If something is free from copyright, it is in the public domain, and anyone can do anything with a public domain work, including resell it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've moved this thread into the "Workshop" forum, which is where it belongs.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #24
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Then you need to remove the line "This file is free from copyright", since that evidently is not your intention. If something is free from copyright, it is in the public domain, and anyone can do anything with a public domain work, including resell it.
The issue is, what stops someone from copyrighting a public domain creation?
I think it would make a nice conversation on mobileread, to give easy step by step instructions, and/or easy access to link a work to public domain, or to some form of protected status. I don't mind anyone using or modifying it.
I don't mind anyone creating their own works around it.
I do think it's fair, if someone is receiving money from it, to pay royalties to the sources, and in this case does not have to be me, but a part of the profit to perhaps mobileread to keep the servers running, or other goodwill organization (although I will never say no to someone wanting to donate some money to a man such as myself )
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Simply the very definition of "public domain". Nobody can copyright the works of Charles Dickens, for example - they are in the public domain.

What you can of course do is add something to a public domain work, and then you will hold a copyright on those portions that you have added. Eg, many scholarly editions of the work of Dickens have introductory essays, explanatory notes, etc. Those are copyrighted, even though the actual text of the novel is not.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #26
LaurelRusswurm
self publishing novelist
LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.

Public Domain and Copyright

Public domain works are available to everyone to do whatever they want, including publishing and selling it. If I publish a book of "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, I can put a copyright notice on my physical book. This means that you can't photograph or scan my pages and then publish and sell it yourself. What is copyright is my expression of the book; how I've laid it out, illustrations, like that. What you can do is copy the content; ie the words from my publication, because the words comprising A Christmas Carol are in the public domain.

Quote:
Something that seems to me a huge problem with copyright law the world over is that nothing protects the public domain.

In spite of its name, copyright is not actually a "right" but a state granted monopoly, and so is different in different countries around the world. Charles Dickens was enormously annoyed with the United States because at the time he was a superstar, the US did not respect any other country's copyright, and his works were copyright in England. Thus anyone in the US with a printing press could (and did) print copies of Mr. Dickens works, and he received not a penny in royalties. Under English law this was piracy, under American law not. This is the kind of thing which led to the development of international copyright treaties.

What often happens today is something called "copyfraud" where someone claims copyright on a public domain work. They may go so far as to sue others for infringing their copyright; certainly they attempt to intimidate others from reusing the work. I wrote a blog post about it here http://laurelrusswurm.wordpress.com/...modernization/ because it is something that I think copyright law should address. At most people doing this get a slap on the wrist, even though copyfraud is an act of piracy, not from a private rightsholder, but from the public. This is against the public interest no matter what jurisdiction, but it seems there is no one lobbying for the public.

Governments have been inventing new classes of copyright over the last century, and even applying them retroactively.

Because copyright law is made by different countries, each country can make their own rules, and then break them. Possibly the most famous literary work to come from Canada, "Anne of Green Gables", has been placed under a weird special perpetual copyright because it is too good a cash cow to let go. England has done something similar with "Peter Pan," which proceeds fund a hospital I believe. I've recently learned that the "Authorized Version of the King James Bible (1611) is held under perpetual #copyright in the UK by the British Crown to this day." https://twitter.com/#!/parlementum/s...72750161813506

Quote:
I think it would make a nice conversation on mobileread, to give easy step by step instructions, and/or easy access to link a work to public domain, or to some form of protected status. I don't mind anyone using or modifying it.
I don't mind anyone creating their own works around it.
I do think it's fair, if someone is receiving money from it, to pay royalties to the sources, and in this case does not have to be me, but a part of the profit to perhaps mobileread to keep the servers running, or other goodwill organization (although I will never say no to someone wanting to donate some money to a man such as myself )
Both Canada and the UK have "Crown Copyright" which means that IP work paid for by the government is under copyright owned by our respective governments. Citizens must first get permission to use such work, even though our tax dollars paid for them. It wasn't so bad before when copyright terms were 14 or 28 years, but in Canada copyright expires only 50 years after the death of a creator. The US government actually places work it pays for directly into the public domain. That said, ordinary people don't make the laws and copyright laws in many places don't allow creators the right to place our own work in the public domain. Creative Commons licenses use copyright law to allow creators or rights holders to license our work as we like, including licensing into the public domain. This can be overridden by the laws of the land, or, since copyright now long outlives creators, by our heirs, unfortunately.

It's a big mess these days because there are too many people wanting a piece of the action. The big media companies want to turn back the hands of time to the days when they controlled everything, and rather than adapting to the changes brought by technology, they are trying to achieve this by having the laws rewritten to suit their interests (SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, DMCA, DEAct, C-11 etc.) rather than the public interest.

I do suggest that you look at Creative Commons http://creativecommons.org/ and possibly at the GPL http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html to see what would work best for this.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelRusswurm View Post
Public domain works are available to everyone to do whatever they want, including publishing and selling it. If I publish a book of "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens, I can put a copyright notice on my physical book. This means that you can't photograph or scan my pages and then publish and sell it yourself. What is copyright is my expression of the book; how I've laid it out, illustrations, like that. What you can do is copy the content; ie the words from my publication, because the words comprising A Christmas Carol are in the public domain.
You can certainly put a copyright notice on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your claim of copyright has any validity. In the EU, you may gain the protection of a "typographical copyright" for your layout, etc, but only if you can demonstrate a significant degree of innovation and creativity for it. Many countries (eg the US) do not have typographical copyrights at all. The chance of having any copyright protection at all for your theoretical version of "A Christmas Carol" are close to zero, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Something that seems to me a huge problem with copyright law the world over is that nothing protects the public domain.
Yes it does. People can claim false copyrights, but that doesn't mean that those claims have any validity.

Quote:
That said, ordinary people don't make the laws and copyright laws in many places don't allow creators the right to place our own work in the public domain.
Can you name one of these "many places"? I am aware of no country in which a simple statement that "this work is in the public domain" is not valid.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #28
LaurelRusswurm
self publishing novelist

Quote:
You can certainly put a copyright notice on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your claim of copyright has any validity. In the EU, you may gain the protection of a "typographical copyright" for your layout, etc, but only if you can demonstrate a significant degree of innovation and creativity for it. Many countries (eg the US) do not have typographical copyrights at all. The chance of having any copyright protection at all for your theoretical version of "A Christmas Carol" are close to zero, I'm afraid.
Well, then, I'm a bit confused why modern print editions of classics bother to carry copyright notices. I have lots, though not A Christmas Carol. If this works, it is a scan of the copyright page for my copy of Wuthering Heights.

Emily Bronte has been dead quite long enough to place this book assuredly into the public domain, yet it (and every other classic I own) carries a copyright notice. As I said, my understanding is that it pertains to the particular edition, because certainly the text of books in the public domain remain in the public domain when they are published. If there is another explanation for this, I'd be curious to hear it.

Last edited by LaurelRusswurm; 02-13-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: reducing the size of the scanned image
Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I guess they just add copyright notices by default, and don't care if they are or not meaningful.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #30
LaurelRusswurm
self publishing novelist

Quote:
Yes it does. People can claim false copyrights, but that doesn't mean that those claims have any validity.
Sorry, Harry, that's what I used to think too, but I've been learning a great deal about how the world really works over the past couple of years, and if it was that way once, that isn't the case now. Everything I have read on copyright tells me that the penalties for copy fraud have no teeth. The public domain is under attack by:

Copyfraud

If you're interested in this, Jason Mazzone's research http://www.copyfraud.com/ is a good place to start. Searching for "copyfraud" or "attack on the public domain" produces quantities of information. For instance, there are plenty of websites posting watermarked images of art that is in the public domain, and claiming copyright for the versions they are selling.

Lobbyists
As Laura N. Gasaway's essay http://works.bepress.com/aallcallforpapers/5/ explains, the public domain is under attack from expanding copyright terms etc.

Governments
But not only that, Techdirt reported recently on the US removing work that had been in the public domain. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...c-domain.shtmlThat isn't the first time, either.

Canada (where I am) is about to pass "Bill C-11 The Copyright Modernization Act" which will protect TPMs/DRM on media and devices above all other copyright considerations. That means is it will be illegal for Canadians to access digital media we own, or that are in the public domain, if there is any kind of digital lock on it. Being cynical, my assumption is that the moment this passes, any device (including eBook readers) destined for Canada will be encumbered with digital locks.

Quote:
Can you name one of these "many places"? I am aware of no country in which a simple statement that "this work is in the public domain" is not valid.
The reason I'm aware of this is from Creative Commons, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/ but I've read it in many other licences as well. The dedications to the public domain I've read are essentially licenses, and CC has already retired versions of these tools in the effort to make them effective. But the public domain licenses written with legal advice almost always say something like this:

"I hereby waive all copyright and related or neighboring rights together with all associated claims and causes of action with respect to this work to the extent possible under the law. "

---http://creativecommons.org/choose/zero/waiver

Copyright laws began changing radically when Mickey Mouse almost got into the public domain, and have been riding a roller coaster ever since. The thing is, so much is changing so fast, much of it has yet to be tested in court. One of the concerns is that since copyright outlives creators, even if I dedicate something to the public domain, my heirs may challenge it and remove it after I'm dead.

A friend of mine is a photographer in the Netherlands, and she is unhappy because Dutch Law does not allow her to bequeath her work to the Public Domain after her death. My understanding is that moral rights are unwaivable in any jurisdiction where they exist (like Canada) so anything placed in the public domain is only there "to the extent possible under the law." Which is not the exact equivalent of work in the public domain.

As far as I can see, the problem is that the general public doesn't have legal departments and lobbyists to plead our case. Most of think that our governments will protect the public domain because it is in the public interest. For whatever reason, governments seem to listen to lobbyists more than citizens these days.

I'm tired, so I hope this makes sense.

Tags
bible, developement, framework