Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Help buying an ereader for PDFs...

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I have been browsing the forums for the past few days and been having difficulty trying to choose a ebook reader that would suit me.

I will be using the device in the bus, from and to work (+/- 45 mins ride) and I will be using it to read mostly RPGs PDFs (bought from the DrivethruRPG website) and novels.

Also, my budget is limited (around 200$).

Thanks for your help!
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
To come in at your pricepoint and get a screensize suitable for such pdfs you'd need to get a used Tablet PC.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
kuck
kuck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Hi Icewyng,

I have the exact same requirements as you.

Have a look at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85211

I am quite pleased with my choice for the Foxit eSlick reader.
Simple, but works!

kuck
kuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

@WillAdams

That could be a good idea... however, I was wondering if any of the Android Tablets could be a good alternative as well (Such as the Archos 7HT)?

@Kuck

Thank you for the suggestion. It looks interesting... but at 259$, it is a bit over my budget.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
Icewyng
Addict

Since I am on a tight budget... Do you think the Aluratek Libre eBook reader pro could be a good one to get?

Also, I see the PRS-300 is on sale at Wal-Mart for 178$. Could that be a good one as well?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Icewyng; 06-12-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: wrong Sony reader
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
cfishy
cfishy began at the beginning.

Device: SONY reader, Sprint PPC-6700
I have the eSlick and it is a bit more usable than my SONY when it comes to PDFs. but the screen is still too small and reflow, zoom doens't work perfectly. and with e-ink, you always have issues with refresh rate, which really bothers me when I tried to zoom.

I'm quite happy with the PDF display on my Android Nexus One, though. Adobe recently released Adobe Reader for Android. Even graphics intensive books were displayed quite nicely, with fast proper zoom, etc.

Most of the time, I resign to reading everything on my computer screen. Having a computer arm holding the screen in front of me, wireless keyboard and trackball, I get to have a lean back reading experience.
cfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
kuck

Hi Icewyng,

I cannot recommend Sony for PDFs. You will always have to convert the files as it does not display pdfs well natively. The reader does not have proper reflow to my knowledge. I have owned two Sony devices and they both did not let me display pdfs properly.

About the eSlick, yes, it is 60USD more expensive, but it is worth it. Trust me. Better to wait a couple of months and save up for it than buying the wrong device and having to sell it again.

I have had a chance to try the eslick a bit more. I am reading on it from and to work every day. Here is a list of things I like / do not like about the device:

Like:
- It is verly light, so even after keeping it in your hands for a while it does not become heavy
- The display is very crisp
- support for PDFs is mostly great
- It is easy on the eyes, (I stare at a computer screen all day, this is a good change! - I would not buy a netbook or something similar. Besides, you will never get the weight to matcht the one of an ebook)
- copying files to the eslick is as easy as copying something to a USB stick - just put on there and you are ready to start reading. no converting!
- the cover it comes with is quite good (costs you extra at Sony, probably 30bucks)

Do not Like:
- the firmware is not perfect yet. it still has issues displaying letters in my native language (e.g. ö, ä, ü)
- sometimes the last few lines from the previous page show again on the next page which interrupts the flow of reading a bit
- lacks touchscreen for highlight function (for note taking and summarizing texts)
- the buttons on the side are not really ideally placed. I have to look which one to press most of the time. But they dont interfere when reading either in portrait or landscape
- sometimes you get to see an empty page and need to skip to the next, but not really a big issue as skipping to next page is fast.

In summary, I always carry my 12 inch X61 thinkpad with me which is quite small and light, but I would never dream of taking it out on the subway and reading on it. Too complicated, too heavy to bulky.

Ok, I hope you will make the right choice. :-)

kuck

Last edited by kuck; 06-17-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
kuck

Oh, and one more note about the size. I find it actually a perfect match. Enough to fit on the page to read properly, but small enough to stay light and fit in your backpack (without taking up more space than a regular book).
I usually adjust the reading size once in the beginning and then it stays like this for the rest of the article/book.

kuck
Old 06-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #9
kuck

Hey Icewyng,

They have just dropped the price to 199USD. They must be reading this forum.:-)

http://forums.foxitsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=18707

kuck