Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #61
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Tanks You just saved my evening
Unfortunately, rgibert has made unofficial ppas for 0.6.0 for Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 only, although there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I have used his ppa for Sigil 0.5.3 with Kubuntu 11.04 and it installed and ran very well. There is no pre-compiled version of Sigil 0.6.0 specifically for Ubuntu 11.10, nor will there ever be another official Linux installer version of Sigil. Linux users will have to learn to compile from the sources. It turns out to be fairly easy, but takes maybe 15 minutes to compile and link. I actually prefer this way now.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #62
njm55n
njm55n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
Do a Google search for rgibert ppa. His repository has a 0.6.0 for U/Kubuntu.
Thanks for the pointer to rgilbert ppa.

I've installed the repository, but being a very new user of Linux, I now have no idea how to use it!

I note that Richard's package for 0.6.0 appears to be aimed at Quantal (Ubuntu 12.10?). I presume this explains why opening a downloaded sigil_0.6.0-0rg0~quantal0_i386.deb from nautilus gives an error: "Dependency is not satisfiable: libqtcore4(>=4.4.8.0)"

If this is a correct way to install the product, does this mean an OS upgrade? I had intended to go to Precise (Ubuntu 12.4) so that I could use the LTS version for an extended time. Would this work, or would I have to go to 12.10 or later?

The Windoze v0.6.0 works great, but I'd like to use a proper OS!!

Can you (or anyone else) help, please?
njm55n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #63
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
You use the package manager to get the actual product installed. Use the search facility to find "Sigil" and then set it for an install. However, if you are on 11.10 the version of Qt probably won't be current enough. Both 12.04 and 12.10 are both solid versions of K/Ubuntu. Going to one of them would probably be the best choice. I believe it is either that or go back to Sigil 0.5.3 and that's a huge backward step if use Sigil a lot.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by njm55n View Post
Thanks for the pointer to rgilbert ppa.

I've installed the repository, but being a very new user of Linux, I now have no idea how to use it!

I note that Richard's package for 0.6.0 appears to be aimed at Quantal (Ubuntu 12.10?). I presume this explains why opening a downloaded sigil_0.6.0-0rg0~quantal0_i386.deb from nautilus gives an error: "Dependency is not satisfiable: libqtcore4(>=4.4.8.0)"

If this is a correct way to install the product, does this mean an OS upgrade? I had intended to go to Precise (Ubuntu 12.4) so that I could use the LTS version for an extended time. Would this work, or would I have to go to 12.10 or later?

The Windoze v0.6.0 works great, but I'd like to use a proper OS!!

Can you (or anyone else) help, please?
On that page, there is a pulldown: set it to your release of Ubuntu: That adjusts the values shown that you need to add to the sources (delete the wrong ones)

Note that not all releases have the latest Sigil available (see the version list)
Be sure to refresh your source list after doing the correction.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #65
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by signum View Post
Unfortunately, rgibert has made unofficial ppas for 0.6.0 for Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 only, although there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I have used his ppa for Sigil 0.5.3 with Kubuntu 11.04 and it installed and ran very well. There is no pre-compiled version of Sigil 0.6.0 specifically for Ubuntu 11.10, nor will there ever be another official Linux installer version of Sigil. Linux users will have to learn to compile from the sources. It turns out to be fairly easy, but takes maybe 15 minutes to compile and link. I actually prefer this way now.
I miss Valloric there...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknskip View Post
Both 12.04 and 12.10 are both solid versions of K/Ubuntu. Going to one of them would probably be the best choice.
Unless like with many people, Unity makes you want to gouge your own eyeballs out.
Quote:
I believe it is either that or go back to Sigil 0.5.3 and that's a huge backward step if use Sigil a lot.
There's no reason you can't build your own version of Qt-4.8 and compile/run Sigil against that (I use update-alternatives to manage parallel Qt versions). That's what I do on 11.10. Unless there's some drastic changes in Ubuntu's future pretty soon ... everything past Oneiric is dead to me, anyway.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2012 at 02:12 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #67
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Doitsu - I'm afraid Oldpilot seems to think it is a far better use of his time to come and post FUD on every single Sigil release thread rather than take a few minutes to follow the advice the developers have apparently wasted their time repeatedly on trying to give him. What better thanks could we have for thousands of hours of unpaid effort than to have a user proudly proclaiming they haven't lifted a finger to help themselves. The issue remains specific to Oldpilot's machine as far as we are concerned at this point, and everyone else should just ignore it
What a friendly club! Perhaps others who experience the same problem have been discouraged from reporting it.

I have an XP computer that works fine with hundreds of software releases, from Dos WordStar onward to Sigil 5.3. I thought it might be helpful for the developers to know that 6.0 doesn't work, though with each iteration it has worked just a bit better than the time before. Moving to a new computer is really more of a task than raising one's finger!

But don't fret. I will stop reporting the failures, unless you bake a new version.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #68
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've come across that same imbecile's work many times. Good luck sorting it out!
The world is full of imbeciles. Usually they appear when it's least convenient.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #69
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
O P
There are many of those DOS programs that do not FULLY work under XP,
Including Wordstar (Try using a serial port printer with WS5)

I have a Paradox DOS Inventory/POS application that I wrote a long time ago that shelled out to DOS to do tasks that PDOX could not do, Used serial printers (as well as all 3 LPT, for dedicated paper/forms). The last OS it fully work on was W98SE.
While I am not a fan of the current 'Touch Screen' way of doing things, I don't expect programs like Sigil and Calibre to not support those because they "have to" maintain backwards compatibility with an OS over 5 years old
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #70
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
I have an XP computer that works fine with hundreds of software releases, from Dos WordStar onward to Sigil 5.3. I thought it might be helpful for the developers to know that 6.0 doesn't work, though with each iteration it has worked just a bit better than the time before.
If you want to help figure this out then we'll need to start over and you will need to post the file you are having trouble with (or post me a link), and list the exact steps in detail to reproduce it. Obviously 0.6.0 does work, but there is something unique to your setup or your document that is causing you issues when doing something specific - but we'll need more information and effort from you in order to find what it is.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #71
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Unless like with many people, Unity makes you want to gouge your own eyeballs out.
Unity is not an issue for Kubuntu users, which uses KDE. Unity is just not installed! Ubuntu and Unity use Gnome. You'd have to be a real masochist to try to fully install Gnome on Kubuntu, or KDE on Ubuntu. As Kovid Gopal said on the Calibre forum, KDE users had their times of trial some time ago when KDE 4.0 first came out. All that's been straightened out now.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #72
dicknskip
Zealot
dicknskip began at the beginning.

Device: iPad V-3
Thanks for straightening that out signum. I use Kubuntu and it is very stable and easy to use in both 12.04 and 12.10. I just didn't know how to state the situation as clearly as you did.
dicknskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #73
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is possible that Oldpilot's problems may come from not what is in Program Files, but AppData. What was there certainly caused many bizarre problems for me when trying the new beta.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #74
njm55n
njm55n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I miss Valloric there...
That's pretty clear. I would be delighted to learn how to compile from the sources, but am starting from such a low knowledge level (about Ubuntu, lots of experience with DOS, all versions WIndows, Novell etc) that I don't know where to begin.
I realise that this may not be the right forum to ask about OS related issues, but perhaps you could offer some pointers to how to go about it?
njm55n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by signum View Post
Unity is not an issue for Kubuntu users, which uses KDE. Unity is just not installed! Ubuntu and Unity use Gnome. You'd have to be a real masochist to try to fully install Gnome on Kubuntu, or KDE on Ubuntu. As Kovid Gopal said on the Calibre forum, KDE users had their times of trial some time ago when KDE 4.0 first came out. All that's been straightened out now.
You quoted me, so I'll have to assume that was intended for me:

Of course Kubuntu doesn't use Unity. I figured everyone would know I was referring to the Ubuntu part of "K/Ubuntu":
Quote:
Both 12.04 and 12.10 are both solid versions of K/Ubuntu. Going to one of them would probably be the best choice.
Should I have deleted the "K/" before making my "joke" about not considering Ubuntu Pangolin and newer exactly "solid"?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-01-2012 at 11:39 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote