Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
starbuck
starbuck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader P505
Where can I get the stand by stephen king cheap in the UK?

I've wanted the ebook version of the stand for ages but cannot understand why it is nearly £27(on waterstones when they had it and on whsmith ebook site).

On amazon.com, they have it for the kindle for just over $8, which is a bargain.

Anywhere I can get this cheaper than £27.
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Not here. It's $35 on the Sony Site and $42 on Fictionwise. Don't know why it's so pricey.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I like ebookprice.info for multi-store comparisons, but its entry for The Stand isn't very accurate. Books on Board has PDF for $24.25, but diesel-ebooks looks like the winner with ePub for $23.49. Part of the problem seems to be that half the sites and formats show $50 as the list price and the others show it as $25.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I think it's expensive because King revised it to add back in all the lengthy scenes taken out by his editor, so it's l o n g and considered a new release.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
starbuck
starbuck began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ereader P505
but he revised it and re-released it in the 90's(might have been late 80's) so I can't see that it's really a new release.

Almost like the charge for the book is dependant on how many pages they have.
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
If you buy it from BooksOnBoard today for US$24 you'll get US$5 rewards making the net cost US$19.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I think this is to do with the publisher. A few months ago The Stand ebook was $50 direct from the publisher and store prices reflected that. Recently it's been dropped to $25 (still ridiculous).

The Stand at Random House

If you look through their online catalogue loads of Stepehn King books are at crazy prices. I don't know exactly how it works but I have the feeling that for certain Stephen King books RandomHouse must own the hardcover and ebook publishing rights but not the paperback ones or something like that, so they're pricing it based on the hardback cost. The Stand Hardcover is $50 retail so the ebook price reflects that (unfortunately, the whole situation is crazy when you can get it in paperback for less than $10).

For a while Amazon/Kindle didn't even have available because of this, they have a 'Kindle Edition' now they must have negotiated a special price on though.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Best eBook price using eBookPrice.info is $36.12 from Fictionwise with discount.

The search takes a minute.

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 07-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
On amazon.com, they have it for the kindle for just over $8, which is a bargain.
Funy, just the last thread I read someone was saying, why pay the "premium" for the Kindle when you aren't going to buy alot of books. Well... this is the reason.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
Wow, that really is a bargain, and I just visited Amazon to confirm the price - it's $8.09!!

Glad you pointed this out - seems like I had checked the price on this when I first got my Kindle, and it was a lot higher. And it looks like a LOT of his book prices (on Kindle) are going down.

Either that, or my reading comprehension skills suck.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
Glad you pointed this out - seems like I had checked the price on this when I first got my Kindle, and it was a lot higher. And it looks like a LOT of his book prices (on Kindle) are going down.
A while back it was even lower, then it went a lot higher, then it wasn't available, now it's $8. There's something weird going on with various rights and editions I'm sure.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
ereader.com has it for $12.95
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote