Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It's not about storing books in the library. I find it easier to browse and download from the Overdrive library on my PC rather than directly on the T1. Therefore, the books are in the library on my PC and I need to sync them to the T1. Sorry to have dragged us so far from the OP's original topic.....
But you still need to use ADE, to download and to authorize your device. At that point, what benefit is calibre?

I have an excuse. I need calibre to get some library books onto my Kindle, using the plugin-that-must-not-be-named. ADE doesn't allow that, and some Overdrive books are ONLY available via ADE.

And that's another point. Except for those books, and most CAN be checked out for Kindle, Amazon offers a much more streamlined checkout process, where you just click the overdrive checkout button, and select kindle instead of Adobe ePub. Instead of downloading the Adobe acsm file which registers your book in ADE, you simply get send to amazon.com to redeem the book into your account. All done in the browser, and the book gets automatically sent to your Kindle.

Yay! We are now back on topic. Kindles are awesome, so there you go.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
dedgod
Enthusiast
dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.dedgod is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle PW2
My last Sony was a PRS-T1. It worked well at first but now it freezes up too frequently. I bought a Kindle PW2 and I am very satisfied with the PW2. I thought that I would read library books but never did, so the Sony held no advantage for me. My wife and I each had a Sony and they both froze up frequently after the last firmware. That was the end for me with Sony. Besides that, it seems that Sony is leaving the US market anyway.

I'd say go for it and try a Kindle. If you belong to AARP, you get a 10% discount.
dedgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I read mostly library books, so I really did like the T2 since I could save the notes to an rtf file from my desktop or to Evernote from the T2, but KP1 also saves your notes from the library book to your account via the following website(the notes are saved even after the book expires since I guess they hope you will buy the book from them):

https://kindle.amazon.com/

In the winter, I like the KPW lighting, and my library is supporting more and more Kindle formats, so I don't have to use the T2 much anymore. Hope this helps.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
I have had Sony since the 505 and lastly the T1 with some others in between. I bought a Kindle PW when the T1 cracked and there were rumours af a new Sony reader coming. I saw the PW as a stopgap, but it exceeded my expectations. It has given no trouble. I have not had to restart it or had any charging issues. I found the PW more stable and had a better battery life. I thought I would miss the memory card socket, but I haven't had an issue. The clincher for me is the light on the PW. I don't see me ever going back to Sony unless there is a major change in direction of their readers.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I was a strong Sony user starting in 2007 with the 500, later the 505, 650 and T-1. With the T-1 I was getting disappointed with Sony and their offerings in the EReader market. So I tried the First Generation Amazon Paperwhite. I was hooked immediately. I feel as though Sony let me down with always being behind the times and never realizing their market. Since I have moved to the PW, I now have the ability to read my books where I left off on any device I pick up to use (IE: PW, Android Phone, Kindle Fire, I-pad, etc). I love that Amazon has a larger variety of books that I can persue. I use both Calibre and sideload my books. I am VERY saddened that Sony has decided to leave the US market. I emailed them and got a reply stating so. I used to look forward to the new Erreaders they offer and I was excited to see the T-3. I was never excited about the curvy bottom of the T-1 and its Glossy bezel.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Very similar story with me. 505 to T1 to 350 to PW2.

I was really very pleased with the T-1 and was looking forward to updating it to the T-3, but only because I hadn't seriously evaluated other options.

I know there have been many complaints about the Sony reader store, but I've had good luck and bought many epubs there.

There were many software glitches and freezes with the Sonys, although it wasn't noticeable until after using the PW2. I assumed they were normal - having been conditioned by desktop MS Windows over many years.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I read mostly library books, so I really did like the T2 since I could save the notes to an rtf file from my desktop or to Evernote from the T2, but KP1 also saves your notes from the library book to your account via the following website(the notes are saved even after the book expires since I guess they hope you will buy the book from them):

https://kindle.amazon.com/

In the winter, I like the KPW lighting, and my library is supporting more and more Kindle formats, so I don't have to use the T2 much anymore. Hope this helps.
The notes are also saved to %Kindle-Drive%\documents\My Clippings.txt, and can even be imported into calibre using the "Annotations" plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
There were many software glitches and freezes with the Sonys, although it wasn't noticeable until after using the PW2. I assumed they were normal - having been conditioned by desktop MS Windows over many years.
Yes, the Kindle line has a much better reputation for stability.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote