Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #61
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartori
I would like to thank you for sharing the information about this light with us here. I think it is the first portable light (the light that doesn't disturb my other half when she is sleeping) I really like after 4 unsuccessful attempts. The first 3 were used to read paper books but they had the same problem very uneven light over the page. It would be OK close to the lamp but dim substantially towards the middle/edges of the page. PRS-LIGHT01 was better than the first 3 but verilux is much better than all others. Thanks again!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #62
sartori
Connoisseur
sartori began at the beginning.

Astra,

Glad it works well for you - I'm very happy with mine.

Rob
sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2007, 04:42 AM   #63
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I think I want to get one too now Alas, I couldn't find any Verilux book lights here in Switzerland. Why do I feel discriminated... grrrrrr
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I think I want to get one too now Alas, I couldn't find any Verilux book lights here in Switzerland. Why do I feel discriminated... grrrrrr
The same for the UK. I even sent email to Verilux asking for the nearest supplier and they gave me 2 addresses. 1 in the UK but they sell verilux bulbs only. 1 in Germany who do not sell this particular lamp anyway ...too complicated. Then igorsk gave me a link to The Lamp where I successfully bought it 15$ shipping costs. I placed an order on 03-Apr-2007 19:15 (GMT time) and it was sent to me on 03-Apr-2007 22:35, within 3 hours. No need to send pics of your credit card either, they didn't even ask for a security code on the back of my visa, that surprised me a little bit. Anyway, I received it on 10 Apr. I could not believe it considering it was Ester time with PO being too busy delivering gifts. So, you have a choice, a good one IMHO.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #65
astra
The Introvert

A small amendment to "my first impression". The light is not yellowish. It is white with a shade of blue. However, whereas prs-light01 light has a quite strong bluish tint, verilus has a very light blue tint, so the light is almost white, plus greyness of the the reader's screen and you think that the light has a very light yellow tint
Advert
Old 04-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #66
astra
The Introvert

OK. As I promised a few pictures of the light, although there is not much I can add to my previous comments. I didn't have an opportunity to use it for too long. Only twice for 30 minutes. I still like it Although as I said you can clip the light to the right/left side of the reader, I don't do it. I prefer to clip it to the top and it produces enough light to cover the bottom of the page - it is the most important spec. of the light for me because other lights were very bright in immediate vicinity where they were cliped to the reader but dimmed too much for my eyes towards the middle/edges. although if you clip it to the side the result is even better but for me the reader feels more comfortable when the light is on the top.

I cannot promise it but I will try to make a few more pics in the darkness. If I manage, I will post them as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959W.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	3124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960W.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	3125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961W.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	3126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962W.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	3127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1963W.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	3128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1964W.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	3129  

Last edited by astra; 04-15-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #67
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Ah I see you bought the stand as well. Kewl looking setup. That light looks like it's pretty wide and does a good job...
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #68
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
Ah I see you bought the stand as well. Kewl looking setup. That light looks like it's pretty wide and does a good job...
Oh, the stand is a gift from my wife for passing some test about 3 years ago I used it to read my study books while sitting at the desk, so that I would not have to hold the book on my laps and then get neck pain after reading for an hour or more. Although, initially the purpose of the stand was a bit different, it going to be used even more now
Old 04-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #69
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
astra, thanks for the pictures. Please try to make some pictures in the dark so we can see how the light looks. Thanks!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #70
astra
The Introvert

Well, the pics are not very good. sorry about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1966.jpg
Views:	1941
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	3135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	1670
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	3136  
Old 04-16-2007, 12:48 AM   #71
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Thanks astra, looks really good!
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:13 AM   #72
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Thanks astra, looks really good!
You are welcome
Old 05-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #73
astra
The Introvert

Hi guys&gals

If anyone buy verilux, could you let us know your opinion?
I am very curious, what others think about it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #74
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I bought the Verilux via Amazon last week and just unwrapped the package.

What I like:
  • The light. Really really bright and it covers 80% of the screen without any shadow. Previously I used a small LED booklight from Borders and it didn't work for me (too dark).
  • USB. Still not really sure how I can use it since I don't want to let my notebook stay on while reading a book, but it's nice to have the option to power the light via USB.

What I don't like:
  • Weight. I find the light relatively heavy after equipping it with two AA batteries.
  • Build quality. I almost broke the battery lid the first time I tried to close it. Overall, the light seems very fragile (cheap, light-weight plastic). Not a problem if you are a careful user, but knowing myself, it's probably only a matter of time before I will break it ;(

I cannot say anything about power usage yet because I've been using it for only an hour so far. If having a bright even light is the most important aspect for you, the Verilux is definitely a good deal!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #75
astra
The Introvert

Cool!

I agree about it being fragile. I remember I was a bit concerned about it after reading on amazon, that one user broke the switch very fast. One must be careful when using it.

I used some very cheap AA batteries and they discharged quite fast.
A few days ago I finally put 2 AA rechargeable batteries, 2500mAh each and the light looks brilliant, I used it for about 4 hours and have not noticed any deemness so far. I think it will be bright enough for about 8 hours before it starts to deem, but have to test it yet.

(and yes, having a bright even light is the most important aspect for me along with no more worries about spending money on batteries, 4 rechargeable AAs is more than enough for me.)

P.S. btw I have not tried to read from USB. It would be very awkward to have a laptop running all the time (noisy as well) and they say it would not be as bright as with AAs. Also I don't like the idea of a cable connected to the lamp, I like it to be completely free of cables so I can turn in my bed any way I want to without worrying about cables.

Last edited by astra; 05-15-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Tags
bug light booklight