Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #31
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Now that irex has died I ordered an iPad today.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #32
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
$189 is a great price even if it were about to be replaced with a newer version. It makes me want to go buy one for all my family and friends (and just maybe for me, too).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #33
Tim G
Tim G began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Kindle for $189 and Nook for $150??? Makes me wish I waited before I bought my wifi-less PRS-300 for $175 last year. But still I don't think any of the these other eReaders can rival the size of the Sony pocket edition (as far as I can tell). Its very compact, and I've always been a MMPB kinda guy.
Tim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #34
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim G View Post
Kindle for $189 and Nook for $150??? Makes me wish I waited before I bought my wifi-less PRS-300 for $175 last year.
By that reasoning, the $150 Nook purchaser will wish he/she waited until next year when a better ereader will be available for $100.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #35
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yep, prices always get cheaper.

It's worth waiting a year or two when new gadgets come out unless it's something you MUST have as there will be huge price drops in the first year or two. Early adopting isn't for everyone--you pay the all time highest price for the lowest featured version that gadget will ever have.

But beyond that it's just findings something that fits your needs and spending the money and there will always be something better and cheaper around the corner.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #36
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I would have loved a Kindle, but I want my expansion-able storage. 1500 books isn't really enough for some of us. That Nook is starting to hold some appeal for even their higher priced 3G version. My son would be thrilled to inherit my Jetbook.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #37
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, prices always get cheaper.

It's worth waiting a year or two when new gadgets come out unless it's something you MUST have as there will be huge price drops in the first year or two. Early adopting isn't for everyone--you pay the all time highest price for the lowest featured version that gadget will ever have.

But beyond that it's just findings something that fits your needs and spending the money and there will always be something better and cheaper around the corner.
Yep, you pay a huge price for being an early adopter, but the benefits of this habit outweigh the consequences. In a more general sense, early adopters see all the opportunities before the masses do. Being able to capitalize on opportunities before every else is a major benefit in my opinion. Well worth it.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #38
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Yep, you pay a huge price for being an early adopter, but the benefits of this habit outweigh the consequences. In a more general sense, early adopters see all the opportunities before the masses do. Being able to capitalize on opportunities before every else is a major benefit in my opinion. Well worth it.
yeah , I totally agree, I'm international have purchased Nook 3G for 260$, now I feel like 100$ was thrown away[150$ for wifi version], the price war is good for masses but on the expense of early adopters (I think I'm not the only who feels ripped off)
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #39
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Well, try not to feel too bad about a decision you made months ago if at the time, it was the right decision to buy. Just enjoy having the device. It's still a good device, despite the fact that you can get it cheaper.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #40
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

very true, my sister payed almost a $1,000 for a Sony 26 inch HDTV about 7 years ago or so.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #41
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not big on early adopting myself.

Take Blu Ray. You'd have to have paid $600+ for a good Sony (or other top brand) player back when the launched and taken the risk that maybe HD-DVD would win out. And you got a barebones player with no extra features, no ability to update to current firmware in some cases (which means no compatibility with certain discs) etc.

I waited until HD-DVD died, bought a Sony player in fall 2008 for $150. Waited about 2 years, saved around $450 and got a faster loading player that can stay updated to latest firmware--though I wish I had one of the newer players that has Netflix streaming, Hulu etc. built in.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #42
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Hey, you can't put a price on learning (oh wait, you can...it's about 10 bucks!).

Some people just love to check out the latest things to know what works, what doesn't, what could be added, etc. The experience of doing that is what they pay for.

Others just want to buy one gadget, one time, that is going to do the best job. They might read a million reviews before they decide on just the perfect one.

To each his own.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #43
dmaul1114
Wizard

Agree 100%, definitely to each their own. Only thing I'll early adopt are video game consoles as those are pretty stable (other than price dropping) across the generation. Though lately I've been waiting until the first price drop.

I've never felt the need to pay a high price to get a bare bones 1st gen model of stuff--but like you say, others have a hobby/love for being the first on the block to play around with a new gadget--and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm just a pretty thrifty person, so I generally force myself to wait and try to get more bang for my buck.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #44
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Saw this article over at Teleread about the cost of ordering a Kindle for delivery to the UK:

"Ordering through Amazon.com today will mean the $189 price becomes £132.70 with Amazon’s 70p to the dollar exchange rate. But then a power adaptor will also be needed, adding $19.99 or £14.03, bringing the basic cost up to £146. For shipping, priority international courier seems to be the only option, adding a further £18.93, but that is then reduced by a £10.53 “promotion applied”. However an “import fees deposit” of £28.02 brings the final hit on your wallet to just over £183."

Which is kind of depressing.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #45
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
The DX does now look very expensive - in fact I recently went for the iPad instead of it. I may consider upgrading my original Kindle to a K2 now though.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote