Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 AM   #16
kcm
kcm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Yeah, Connect really sucks. I tried adding an RSS feed just for a laugh, but all I get is "this feed is no longer available".

I have the same trouble. Is anyone getting the RSS feeds to work, or did Sony open up the Connect store before it was completed?
kcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:40 AM   #17
dare99
dare99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Hi, been lurking for a while.

Just to say I have the same problem with the RSS. It says they're not available.

It also took 5 goes to get the software to register my reader.

If my experence with sonicstage and connect audio are anything to go on, don't expect an improvement any time soon.
dare99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
PeterRiva
PeterRiva began at the beginning.

So far, I'm lucky... but...

Got the Reader yesterday, loaded up and down several MSWord, pdf, jpg and other files, no problem (well, that's not true... changed the font on word documents to 24picas, changed the margins to .3" and made the pdf. So far so good.)
What I am completely puzled by... I want to publish books this way. I would like to buy (=spend money, =be a customer of Sony) a Sony BBeB program to make Table of Contents active books... their pre-loaded ones have active TOC, but Adobe can't provide this and the MSWord active TOC won't transfer. I called Sony (yes I can hear you all chuckling) and they have no idea what was used to create their own product ("We send e-mail, get info-ma-sha. Bye bye.")... anyone out there have any idea what program we can BUY to make good BBeB content?
PeterRiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #19
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'd like to simply be able to convert rtf files formatted for Sony already, and add a TOC.

There's BBeB info going out to some beta developers, I believe. That's a good start, and hopefully the info and tools will trickle down the the rest of us. Also the old Librie BBeB tools have been said to work with the Reader. Beyond that I'm looking for answers also.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #20
Jake
Renaissance Man
Jake began at the beginning.

You know, I'm grateful for the Reader hardware - I enjoy it more than I can say.

But in terms of software and support, historically, Sony = absolutely clueless. Really, it's almost frightening. I also would be more than glad to pay $$ for software that created great full-functioning e-books viewable on the Reader. Did all of this catch Sony by surprise? After the Reader appeared, that people would actually want to have a large selection of books available to purchase and would enjoy purchasing them via sophisticated. functional competitive software? People would actually want to create their own content that included illustrations and that could be in other languages than Western ones! It reminds me so much of the SonicStage fiasco (-remember the MiniDisc?). Great hardware. Horrible, horrible restricted, ill-functioning software. Laughable support.
Marketing .. say what?

And the ironic thing is there is a great deal of money to be made in content and content creation tools. Folks can discuss Apple and Amazon.com from here to eternity but you've got to admit they know how to market and they make a *whole lot* of interesting stuff easily available. Sony grudgingly doles out scraps of information to developers. The developers that hang around here at Mobileread are absolutely incredible - I am in awe of them, truly. I can't express that enough.

But does it have to be this hard to do some of the simple things folks are asking about? Sony is not some new kid on the block startup! Where are their development folks?
Connect is functional I guess but it could be so much better. At the very least we could all receive teaser form e-mails that said "We're working hard to correct problems, and make your book-buying experience the best in the business! We're busy adding 10's of thousands of fascinating titles for you to buy! We're forming Sony Reader clubs and creating online forums and RSS feeds... Look for the Reader on Oprah..." Sigh. Ok, ok, I'll be patient - just on a rant today I guess.

I do enjoy reading on this thing and off to go do the same after a walk....
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #21
JohnB
Enthusiast
JohnB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, iPAQ 4700, Rocket Ebook, BlackBerry
RSS was down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcm
I have the same trouble. Is anyone getting the RSS feeds to work, or did Sony open up the Connect store before it was completed?
When I got my reader a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't connect to the RSS section of CONNECT - after some clueless suggestions from Sony support to reset my reader, they admitted they were having server troubles. Why couldn't they have had a message to that effect on the CONNECT homepage? Would have saved me, and Sony, wasted time.
It did start working for me, at which point I learned how poorly the feeds get formatted for the reader - practically useless.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #22
PeterRiva
PeterRiva began at the beginning.

Aha! Made it work!

Well, here's a SURPRISE!
If you create a Word doc with an active TOC, make sure the pica size if 22 or 24 (and very narrow margins, about .3") then make a PDF, then import that file... Sony Connect keeps the active TOC!!!! Of course, it ruins the look of the TOC (haven't figured that out yet) but the chapter links are active!
PeterRiva is offline   Reply With Quote