Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #1156
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
I think no, since this is the follow-up to my response:

End of discussion. I replied another time but I've not received an answer yet. I hope it's only an error of the operator, maybe she thought the bug was only for a specific book (even if I was very clear IMHO...)
Just by reading, without any other clue, I understand that as being an ebook not bought via Kobo as opposed to an ebook coming from the Kobo store since it's not written "we support kepub files and not epub files". Once again, Kobo sells epub ebooks. Before buying the Mini I had many epubs from Kobo, but no kepubs.

On the other hand, you're the one who was in touch with them so you clearly know what you asked and what reply you got
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #1157
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Indeed the operator replied, she insists to say it's a book bug.. I would have never expected that the agent could negate this is a firmware bug. Sorry.

Anyway after this incident I searched for some legal enforcement about Kobo support, and I have not found it. Is there no disclaimer about responsibility and support?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 04-30-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #1158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo definitely support reading non-kepubs on the devices. And they fix problems. If there is a problem getting a book bought from Kobo onto the device and reading it, they will do something about it. It doesn't matter which format you use. If you strip the DRM from an epub you purchased from them, they would probably reject that as their issue as well. Yes, they are more interested in the kepubs as they have much more control on them.

Lucas: You showed the reply from Kobo. What was the request you sent them? Both responses from Kobo are correct; the devices don't scroll and they don't support the non-Kobo ebooks. THe devices do support reading non-Kobo books, but depending on what you asked them, their response might be justified.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #1159
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Spoiler:

Hello, I own a Kobo Glo and I have a problem with cbz/cbr files.

Steps to reproduce:

open a cbz / cbr on Kobo Glo
go to an image with more width than height
zoom fitting the height
try to scroll the page

OR

go to an image with more height than width
rotate the document
zoom fitting the "height"
try to scroll the page

Result: the center of the page is displayed and it can't be scrolled
Expected: you should see the top/left of the page and you should be able to scroll it.

Let me know!

I reported a problem regarding cbz files, I don't reported a problem with a specific file.

Now I'm waiting for another reply and I don't want to commit myself. I can only disclose I'm starting to feel duped, and maybe my first sentence is de facto true.

Anyway I don't want to appear nitpicking, but what I described is called scrolling :-P
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #1160
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Spoiler:

Hello, I own a Kobo Glo and I have a problem with cbz/cbr files.

Steps to reproduce:

open a cbz / cbr on Kobo Glo
go to an image with more width than height
zoom fitting the height
try to scroll the page

OR

go to an image with more height than width
rotate the document
zoom fitting the "height"
try to scroll the page

Result: the center of the page is displayed and it can't be scrolled
Expected: you should see the top/left of the page and you should be able to scroll it.

Let me know!

I reported a problem regarding cbz files, I don't reported a problem with a specific file.

Now I'm waiting for another reply and I don't want to commit myself. I can only disclose I'm starting to feel duped, and maybe my first sentence is de facto true.

Anyway I don't want to appear nitpicking, but what I described is called scrolling :-P
That I understand and you are right. I was thinking in terms of how the device handles text. Though I don't tend to use scrolling in this circumstance. Zoom and panning is more likely. When I think of scrolling and images, I think of scrolling through a list of images.

Anyway, I had a play with the one comic I have on my Glo. It took me a few moments before I realised what you were doing and wanted. I can see what you mean. You want the behaviour that you get when you zoom in - dragging the finger moves the image around to see other parts of it. I think you needed to describe this more completely. With what you said, I'm not surprised you got the "does not scroll" response.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #1161
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

This is not the main problem anyway. The problem is I signalled a bug that affects all cbz/cbr and pdf (and images too I suppose), and the answer is "we don't support books that we don't sell", without testing it, presuming cbz/cbr, pdf and images that you buy from Kobo can magically be scrolled...

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-01-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #1162
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but 1161 messages are just too many to go through.

Right now we have three different Page Turning setup. I would like to see one more setting. How about a setting where the top quarter of the screen does a page back, the bottom center does a Menu and the rest of the bottom 3/4ths of the screen do a page forward. This would allow me to hold the reader in both hands and do a page forward with either thumb.

Would anyone else be interested in this?
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #1163
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but 1161 messages are just too many to go through.

Right now we have three different Page Turning setup. I would like to see one more setting. How about a setting where the top quarter of the screen does a page back, the bottom center does a Menu and the rest of the bottom 3/4ths of the screen do a page forward. This would allow me to hold the reader in both hands and do a page forward with either thumb.

I'm sure this had been asked for before, but yes.... more options
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #1164
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm sure this had been asked for before, but yes.... more options
It has been asked for a gazillion times.

How about tap anywhere to go forward, swipe to go back (with menu either placed in the upper left corner - like the ear in the upper right) or opened by swiping up or down?

Or different horizontal settings instead of just three vertical ones?

Or how about tap zones that the user can configure themselves?

Just give us more options, pretty please.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #1165
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
I've had my new Aura Hd for a week now and read a few books that were part of a series I wouldn't mind being given the option at the end of one book to either go to the library view or to open the next book in that series straight away rather than only option of pressing the home button then going to library and then searching for the appropriate follow on.
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #1166
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post

This would be a great advantage, if this is the only extra option Kobo could grant us. Like others have said - more options, and more configurability would be wondeful!
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #1167
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kobo Glo
I would really appreciate a feature that turns off the touch, leaving little areas to go to the menu and turn pages. I hate touch reader 'cause you can't hold them with a finger on the screen.

We can call it a "Keys simulator".
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #1168
j-beda
j-beda began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I would like some way to go "back" to the previous navigational location. If I am searching through a bunch of books in one of the "shelves" or other lists, and I look at a book I would like to be able to go back to that location rather than having to navigate many many taps in order to get back there.
j-beda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #1169
Haelu
Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
support for right-to-left languages please!!!
Haelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #1170
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Not sure if it was already asked but I got an issue with the dictionnary. I often read my books in English even I'm French Canadian. Though, sometimes, I need a translation on the fly on a word.

My issue is when the word is an adjective, it's not helpful at all. I give you one example.

Let's say I don't understand the word "swim". I click on it and get "action of swimming". If I don't understand the word, the description won't help either.

I guess it's coming from the dictionnary so you can't change that. However, could you allow to select a word in the definition textbox to get a translation or a better meaning ? I would click on "swimming" to get to know what is it really. I guess it might have an issue with several layers but I have to ask for it

Hopefully, you'll understand what I want
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote