Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Looking for books similar to The Americans TV series

I like to watch the FX channel show The Americans, a period drama series about Soviet deep cover spies in Washington D.C. Can anybody recommend books similar to this? Thanks.

Last edited by LovesMacs; 03-24-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Thread title misleading, I'm looking for books not suggesting them
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I have to agree. I am enjoying the tv show and think a book along the same lines would be great. Tho I think the personal interaction between the main characters is what makes it mesh and I think finding a book with that element would be difficult.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" by John le Carré comes to mind. I watched the recent movie version on the weekend it I think it should fit. And from memory, just about everything else John le Carré wrote would also be similar.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I think what they are looking for is books based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegals_Program

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I have to agree. I am enjoying the tv show and think a book along the same lines would be great. Tho I think the personal interaction between the main characters is what makes it mesh and I think finding a book with that element would be difficult.

applesauce
That's exactly what I mean. I think what makes the TV series compelling is how the characters interact with each other and try to have a normal life on top of all the secret stuff which they don't seem to even enjoy but feel locked into continuing.

P.S. How do you change the title of a thread? I wanted to change the thread title so as not to confuse other people.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
P.S. How do you change the title of a thread? I wanted to change the thread title so as not to confuse other people.
Click the "Report" button (the "!" to the left of a message) and leave a message asking the moderating team to rename it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
That's exactly what I mean. I think what makes the TV series compelling is how the characters interact with each other and try to have a normal life on top of all the secret stuff which they don't seem to even enjoy but feel locked into continuing.
Well... that describes "The Expats" by Chris Pavone pretty exactly. The only problem is, I really didn't like that book. A lot of people did, though, so you can check out the reviews. Did anybody here read "The Expats"? If so, what did you think of the book and do you think it meets the OP's request?

eP

PS my husband and I really enjoy "The Americans" and we rarely agree on TV shows.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Well... that describes "The Expats" by Chris Pavone pretty exactly. The only problem is, I really didn't like that book. A lot of people did, though, so you can check out the reviews. Did anybody here read "The Expats"? If so, what did you think of the book and do you think it meets the OP's request?
eP
PS my husband and I really enjoy "The Americans" and we rarely agree on TV shows.
To the OP, I think your title is fine. I understood the request. I thought it was a great question! I just wish I had some suggestions and instead have been waiting to see what other people post.

The Expats also was the only book I could think of when I read the original post since it is about a CIA agent living as an expat and housewife in Luxembourg when her husband takes a job there. It also addresses the duplicitous nature of the family / marriage and interactions with others in the community. However, I also had mixed feelings about recommending the book. Hard to describe why. Perhaps because it had more of a subtle, psychological intrigue rather than the typical excitement and action of an espionage thriller. I borrowed it from my local e-library when I read it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Richard Condon's classic "The Manchurian Candidate" is along vaguely the same kind of lines, although it's much more closely related to the TV series "Homeland".
Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Richard Condon's classic "The Manchurian Candidate" is along vaguely the same kind of lines, although it's much more closely related to the TV series "Homeland".
Oh wow, I really love that movie, and I never knew it was a book! Going by the rule of "the book is always better," I guess I have to read it!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available as an ebook.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Have you read Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan? It's in UK, not in US, but it was rather an interesting read.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sweet Tooth is on my To Be Read list. Maybe I should move it higher up in priority. Reading the summary made me think of The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva. Although it's about a female German spy undercover in England during WW II rather than the Cold War.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Sweet Tooth is on my To Be Read list. Maybe I should move it higher up in priority. Reading the summary made me think of The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva. Although it's about a female German spy undercover in England during WW II rather than the Cold War.
I think Sweet Tooth is worth a try. From reviews I read after reading the book it seems to be a hate it it or love it one. I loved it
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote