Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Kindle Touch stores WiFi passwords in plain text on user partition

Hello.
I found something interesting/shocking:

/mnt/us/system/WifiCfg.ini

Here I can find the name and password of my WiFi in plain text. I think this is quite a serious security problem because if someone takes your kindle for just a few seconds they can break into your WiFi with ease.

PS: I have a Kindle Touch with firmware 5.3.2 .
PPS: I also have Duokan in a dual boot configuration it seems that it may be the culprit. Sorry for the false alarm...

Last edited by wolftail; 01-27-2013 at 11:17 AM.
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
How, in a few seconds, is someone going to hook your Kindle up to a USB port, and read that file?

ETA: And, how would they know that file is even there?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
How, in a few seconds, is someone going to hook your Kindle up to a USB port, and read that file?

ETA: And, how would they know that file is even there?
I am obviously referring to someone with malicious intent, who knows about the file.

It takes about 30 seconds to connect a Kindle to a computer, copy a file from the user partition (the one you see in Windows Explorer) and put the Kindle back.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
And, how likely is that to happen?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
wolftail
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
And, how likely is that to happen?
Just because something is not very likely to happen doesn't mean it will never happen. Moreover it's a trivial fix for Amazon.

Passwords should never be stored in plain text, and especially not in easily accessible locations.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
Hello.
I found something interesting/shocking:

/mnt/us/system/WifiCfg.ini
Doesn't exist on my Kindle Touch 5.3.2 connected to Wi-Fi. I'm not implying you're wrong, just saying I can't confirm it.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
murphycc
murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
As I recall, most wifi passwords on computers can be viewed in plain text. I can go onto either my Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 PC at home, pull up the wifi connections app, view connections, and click a box for it to display the password if I want.

I believe this is true for the Kindle wifi connections app too, when you're either creating or editing a connection.

I realize you're talking about reading the raw password file independent of the wifi connections app, but it would be just as easy for somebody to pull up the wifi connections app.

I think the idea of security is letting nobody get onto your computer/ebook reader/ipod/whatever in the first place.
murphycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
setting a passcode can protect somewhat.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
wolftail
Connoisseur

I have also installed Duokan on my Kindle, but Duokan has it's own folder. I doubt it would write to the Kindle system folder. This needs to be investigated... Can anyone else find a wificfg.ini file on their Kindles?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
I have also installed Duokan on my Kindle, but Duokan has it's own folder. I doubt it would write to the Kindle system folder. This needs to be investigated... Can anyone else find a wificfg.ini file on their Kindles?
Well, googling for "wificfg.ini" (in quotes) returns many results from Duokan forum and also link to Deutsch blog containing post about wificfg.ini after a post about Duokan.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The original Amazon firmware stores user settings in /var/local, not /mnt/us/system/ .
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #12
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
The original Amazon firmware stores user settings in /var/local, not /mnt/us/system/ .
...which is supposed to be inaccessible.
It all makes sense if you have some 3rd party firmware though.
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, password, security, wifi