Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
FriBidi (fribidi.org) on Kindle ..

Is there a way to install FriBidi library on the Kindle OS like normal GNU/Linux distros ?

It's a lib for RTL (Right To Left) language support.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Short answer (with the original framework): no. (Well, you can install it alright, but nothing'll make use of it with the default fmwk).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-13-2010 at 06:55 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #3
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Well, which framework ?
I think ti's just an embedded Linux with BusyBox.

Another question:
Can I extract fribidi files from other Linux distro which works with same kernel version, then copy them manually by Telnet/SSH (usbNetwork) ?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By framework, I mean Amazon's Java UI. You can drop all the (extra) libs you want to the system, that won't make the framework magically sprouts code using them ^^.

Busybox just provides core CLI/system *nix utils. (a shell, coreutils-like tools, ...).

And, no, you can't drop binaries like that anyway. They have to match the target host (arch, kernel, libc, stdc, binutils) without ABI mismatch / symbol clashing. (In short: self-built with a proper cross-compile toolchain matching the Kindle's TC).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-13-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
meem

emm .. even I used an ARM binary package ?
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You'd probably stumble upon one ABI mismatch or another.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
meem

So, I need to recompile whole system to add a library, or what shold can I do?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
meem

You right, it's just a framework issue.
It needs a hack to support RTL (Right To Left) charactors.
Chinese did a full support for their complicated language, I really don't know how !

Tags
arabic, firibidi, kindle os, right to left, rtl