Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
*SOLVED* Downloading Sony books in Firefox

I've been wishing I could do this for a while now, and finally broke out some sniffing tools to see if it could be done. It can, with some caveats.

In Firefox (and probably many other browsers) it is possible to use the ebookstore.sony.com site and buy and download books (downloading does require that Adobe Digital Editions is installed).

You just need to find one of the many available add-ons for changing your user-agent-string, and set it to
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532+ (KHTML, like Gecko) ReaderLibrary/3.1
The store is a bit buggy this way, and occasionally throws up error messages (I always get one immediately after logging on), but if you are persistent enough you can do handy things like view your wishlist, or gift certificate balance without having to install the Sony software on all of your PCs.

Presumably the results would be even better on a webkit-based browser.

**update**
Sorry, buying books does not work with this method, but downloading books bought before does. If a moderator could change the subject, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by maggotb0y; 03-17-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: correction
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well... why don't you try it with Chrome or Safari and see how it goes.

I know Safari has a dev menu you can enable to change the User Agent. I'm not sure about Chrome. But both are web kit based.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I have been using Firefox to access/dl books from the Sony store with no problems and without messing with "user client strings", I have also used explorer and chrome with no problems... 'course it could be hust dumb luck lol....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
But how long you've been buying through your browser? This is a 2 year old thread. Earlier this year, Sony updated their store so that it was possible to buy directly from their, rather than using separately installed software. Before that, as far as I know, it wasn't possible to buy without their Reader software.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I shuld have been clearer I use the reader sw to buy stuff from the store but I use firefox to dl the free stuff and previously purchased books, i haven't tried to buy with firefox but I can log into my account without a problem so I don't forsee any difficulty I have been using the T1 directly for a while now so it might have changed...
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
1) Nothing like bring up an over 2 year old thread.

2) Sony changed their bookstore so it is accessible by a browser.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote