Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #61
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
But they're using essentially the same format on the Kindle. Just with a modified DRM.
Yes, but they can update that format anytime to something totally different and just push out a new reader in an update and stop selling new MobiPocket books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #62
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, but they can update that format anytime to something totally different and just push out a new reader in an update and stop selling new MobiPocket books.
That would still leave them in full control, with other ebook retailers and existing owners of mobipocket ebooks and supporting devices in the dark.

Also Mobipocket is basically just HTML in a Palm container file. Given the incredibly flexible nature of HTML I believe there is plenty they could still do to improve the format rather than simply replace it. Yes that would mean older devices might not render newer books accurately, but it's better than not reading them at all (and likely newer devices also not reading the existing books).

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-11-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #63
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Lightbulb Masterplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Sure, but what is the point? They've already got all Kindle users locked in, so why would they want to deny themselves the revenue and consolidate the rest of the market under the ePub flag? [...] So I'm confused.
Me to. The only thing I can think of that in there original masterplan moving international should have happen much earlier. Then they would have dominated the market like Apple does with the iTunes.

But they left if for to long and European carriers denied them wireless access (using high prices) and started there own eBook initiatives.

So my guess is that what we see now is that some parts of there masterplan is seriously delayed (Kindle available worldwide) while other parts are going ahead on schedule (shutting down mobipocket).

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:24 AM   #64
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Unhappy Kindle Shop vs Mobipocket Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Wasn't there a post recently stating that Amazon is only accepting content from US Publishers? That would pretty much rule out a big chunk of eBooks, wouldn't it?
Indeed the world most successful science fiction book series ever written is not available in the Kindle shop.

The series is available in Mobipocket shop and usually fill the best seller list there.

Mind you the Series is also available as DRM free ePUB and (impossible to convert 2 column) DRM free PDF. So if you are prepared to convert or own a Kindle DX then you could probably read it on Kindle as well. But you would not buy at Amazon any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, I still stand firm on my main point that if mobipocket goes away it will not somehow hurt Kindle owners.
That is of course no consolidation for someone who owns 201 books from the German Mobipocket shop. I have to say that this opinion is quite selfish, self centred and unconsiderate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Just with a modified DRM.
Actually only one byte - the file id - is changed. And the PID is printed in a different format. The DRM itself is not changed. With some care you can make Kindle read a DRM encrypted Mobipocket book.

Martin
Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #65
netman49
Publisher
netman49 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-650, iPod Touch, iPad
Mobipocket exit, long live ePub!

Mobipocket had its advantages, especially the free tools, but it still was a proprietary format. This is hopefully a great chance for the ePub format, it's open, it supports CSS etc. etc.
Hope to see some brilliant edit and conversion tools for ePub now, like Calibre and Sigil , but we need more
netman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by netman49 View Post
Hope to see some brilliant edit and conversion tools for ePub now, like Calibre and Sigil , but we need more
On that note, Sigil has recently been updated, and so far, it has proven to be the easiest tool I have to create fully-compliant ePubs that display the way I want them to. But I agree, more and easier-to-use ePub creation tools are always desirable.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #67
ireadiwrite
Digital Small Press
ireadiwrite began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
[QUOTE=DawnFalcon;587009][QUOTE=ondabeach;586470]MP4 is a video file extension...
Quote:

ireadiwrite - ...

It's amazing what lenghts some companies will go not to deal with other, perfecrly legitimate, companies for no apparent reason.
Hi DawnFalcon, and thanks so much for your supportive comment - much appreciated!

If ANYONE ever hears any news about how international publishers can get their content onto the Kindle store, I'd sure appreciate an email or message. In the meantime, I'll continue selling our books everywhere else except Amazon.
ireadiwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think that once Sony changes to ePub, you will find ore publishers wanting their eBooks on Sony's site. Also, Sony will have self publishing so all those self-published titles on Amazon can be put on Sony's site as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #69
ireadiwrite
Digital Small Press
ireadiwrite began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
For sure, we signed up with Sony some months ago, they're just not ready yet.

I personally think the fact that Sony and other stores like Fictionwise/B&N, Books on Board, COOL-er, Smashwords, etc. are doing this (self-pub, self-upload, etc.) will force Amazon's hand to accept international publishers. And hey, for all I know, and considering that they just shut down accepting pubs through mobipocket, they could make some sort of announcement next week which says they replaced eBookbase with some other platform, so I may be forced to eat my anti-Amazon words! I can only hope...
ireadiwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Fictionwise is going to lose out big time as more and more readers go ePub via ADE and Fictionwise does not support ePub with DRM. So for the titles they carry with DRM, it's going to backfire on them in the long run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #71
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireadiwrite View Post
If ANYONE ever hears any news about how international publishers can get their content onto the Kindle store, I'd sure appreciate an email or message. In the meantime, I'll continue selling our books everywhere else except Amazon.
I guess you need an American connection for now...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #72
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Just more drm-stripping and conversions to mobipocket for me. I like the mobipocket reader a lot and will use it until my WinCE based devices die.
Pretty much the same for me. I generally buy a LIT file if possible first, explode it and keep that and the original file as part of the conversion process to MOBI. The reader is great, my wife is content with her HP IPAQ running the reader, so all is good.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Indeed the world most successful science fiction book series ever written is not available in the Kindle shop.

The series is available in Mobipocket shop and usually fill the best seller list there.
Do you think that just might be because Perry Rhodan is German and the Kindle is only sold in an English-speaking country?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #74
krischik
Addict

Arrow No non English books any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you think that just might be because Perry Rhodan is German and the Kindle is only sold in an English-speaking country?
Of course - most definably. It is one of the main points I almost always stress in any Kindle related discussion: The Kindle device and Kindle books are only available in the USA.

And only accepting content from US Publishers also means that non english books won't be available either.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 AM   #75
krischik
Addict

Exclamation Recap

There had been a short discussion (there are no long discussions any more) on mobipocket on tighter regional restrictions. This lead me to a little rethink and recap of the Mobipocket demise.

As far as I counted Amazon took the following steps towards a potential shut down of Mobipocket:
  1. Halt all Software development - The latest software release way January 19th, 2009.
  2. Outsource customer service - The forums are not monitored any more, e-mail service is reported to handle only the most standard problems.
  3. No new Perry Rhodan subscription - The interesting twist here is the fact that the subscription runs for 50 weeks and is paid in full upfront.
  4. Disallowing new registration for non USA publishers - Which is what this thread is all about
  5. Tightening up regional restrictions - The new one which reduces attractiveness for non USA customers.

Did I miss anything? Of course for all but the first point one can find a perfectly legitimate explanation not involving a potential shut down of Mobipocket.

Martin

Last edited by krischik; 09-14-2009 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typo

Tags
ebookbase, end, final, mobipocket