Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
jgrasty
Anarcho-Capitalist
jgrasty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Analog Science Fiction

Y'all:

I was considering subscribing to Analog Science Fiction magazine, but was startled to discover that the Kindle subscription is higher than getting the magazine mailed to my house. Kindle subscription is $35.88 per year vs. mailed subscription $32.97.

I bought the Kindle 2 to save money and not have books stacked to the ceiling.

Regards,

Joey
jgrasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm not laughing at you, but I find it very funny that a subscription a Fictionwise costs only $23.08. If you have a club membership, the price drops below $20.

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook1108.htm?cache
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrasty View Post
Y'all:

I was considering subscribing to Analog Science Fiction magazine, but was startled to discover that the Kindle subscription is higher than getting the magazine mailed to my house. Kindle subscription is $35.88 per year vs. mailed subscription $32.97.

I bought the Kindle 2 to save money and not have books stacked to the ceiling.

Regards,

Joey
Welcome to MobileRead, Joey.

Whats an Anarcho-Capitalist?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
a subscription a Fictionwise costs only $23.08.
This is also "multi-format", which means that it is DRM-free and includes a Kindle version. Seems that Amazon wants $10+ more for DRM (probably) and the convenience of Whispernet delivery.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This is also "multi-format", which means that it is DRM-free and includes a Kindle version. Seems that Amazon wants $10+ more for DRM (probably) and the convenience of Whispernet delivery.
Actually, Fictionwise will email it to your Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've been subscribed at Fictionwise since 2003. Fictionwise have 30% off SF in March, so the normal Fictionwise sub price of $32.97 is now down to $23.08. If you're a club member, it's only $19.62. Two year subs are also available.

The Fictionwise Multiformat Mobipocket version will work on your Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrasty View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is certainly news I can use. I like Asimov's best, but also enjoy Analog. I've never subscribed online, because it is too much pressure. I'm a slow reader and it takes me a couple of weeks to read the big double issues. Usually toward the end of the year when there are lots of holidays from work, I'll buy a batch and catch up on them.

Bit I digress, as usual. My Point: Did anyone else get an email yesterday from FW? It went something along the lines of: Join now for $10 and get $15 micropay, yada yada yada. I didn't pay too much attention to it.

I think I'll go subscribe, and then just leave the Asimov's alone until next Fall, when I have more reading and indoor time.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
jgrasty
Anarcho-Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm not laughing at you, but I find it very funny that a subscription a Fictionwise costs only $23.08. If you have a club membership, the price drops below $20.

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook1108.htm?cache
Thanks very much. I haven't subscribed to ASF on Amazon, and this will save me a bunch of money!

Regards,

Joey
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
jgrasty
Anarcho-Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Joey.

Whats an Anarcho-Capitalist?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism

Regards,

Joey
Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sorry to side track just a little, but could someone give me a basic difference between Asimov's and Analog? I've never really been much for magazines like this, but I'm thinking of giving them another try since I can get them electronically. If you were picking one, which would it be and why?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're both good. If I had to pick one it'd be Analog, if only because they have less blurb between title and the start of the story – usually only a sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Sorry to side track just a little, but could someone give me a basic difference between Asimov's and Analog? I've never really been much for magazines like this, but I'm thinking of giving them another try since I can get them electronically. If you were picking one, which would it be and why?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Asimov's is harder "hard" scifi.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Boy--one of my issues with the new Kindle 2 is that I can only transfer over the last 3 issues of Analog I bought at Amazon (leaving 7 issues stranded on the old Kindle). If I'd subscribed at Fictionwise I wouldn't have this problem. Now I'm kicking myself...
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Boy--one of my issues with the new Kindle 2 is that I can only transfer over the last 3 issues of Analog I bought at Amazon (leaving 7 issues stranded on the old Kindle). If I'd subscribed at Fictionwise I wouldn't have this problem. Now I'm kicking myself...
Ouch! That's very nasty.

Past issues aren't available for new purchase, but I can still download all my issues of Analog from Jan 2003 at my Fictionwise bookshelf.

Not that I have any need to do so - as they're all DRM-free multiformat ebooks. Well, unless I get a device that can't read the mobipocket ones I have downloaded.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I've never heard of this magazine before. I'm going check it out.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote