Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Question All books disappeared on my K Fire

Yesterday I had a bunch of apps ask to be updated (one of them was "Kindle"). I updated them all. Then all books (purchased or uploaded via USB) disappeared from my Kindle Fire. They are not found in Carousel and the Books and Documents tabs. Also, when I try to go to Music, it leads me back to Home screen. So, I can't play any music as well. I restarted my Kindle several times to no effect. I still see that Kindle is registered to me.

Has anyone experienced anything like it? I'll contact Amazon and see what they say.

Last edited by osnova; 03-22-2012 at 04:25 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Yesterday I had a bunch of apps ask to be updated (one of them was "Kindle"). I updated them all. Then all books (purchased or uploaded via USB) disappeared from my Kindle Fire. They are not found in Carousel and the Books and Documents tabs. Also, when I try to go to Music, it leads me back to Home screen. So, I can't play any music as well. I restarted my Kindle several times to no effect. I still see that Kindle is registered to me.

Has anyone experienced anything like it? I'll contact Amazon and see what they say.
It happened to me
Found the answer: go to settings>more>applications>all>Amazon Kindle>Storage>click on clear data. It will warn you that it's clearing a everything. Go back to bookshelves. Device will resync and everything reappears.

I hoe that helps.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
It happened to me
Found the answer: go to settings>more>applications>all>Amazon Kindle>Storage>click on clear data. It will warn you that it's clearing a everything. Go back to bookshelves. Device will resync and everything reappears.

I hoe that helps.
Or I HOPE that helps. Either way. <g>
Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Was it the AMAZON app store offering to update the Kindle app, or was it a third part app store, like GetJar? If you overwrote the Fire's Kindle app with a standard Android Kindle app from a third party, you'll have problems.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
That may only restore the eBooks purchased from Amazon.

Another approach may be to do a reset - hold start button for more than 30 seconds. Then charge overnight. Then do a reset again. Sometimes several resets are required.

I've found, when some items stick or do not function properly, just a simple Shut Down does the trick. Just a 3 second hold on the Start button triggers the Shut Down.

My Amazon Kindle Software is version 4.1.2.12. See if you have the same version. That is the system app used to read kindle eBooks. If not, contact customer support to have them reinstall it for you. If you were testing new routines to search in your eBible line, you may have damaged it.

Last edited by sirmaru; 03-22-2012 at 05:59 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
beej231
Addict

[QUOTE=sirmaru;2014255]That may only restore the eBooks purchased from Amazon.

You are quite correct. I wasn't thinking about other types of e-books. WHen I got buy first Kindle I just went Amazon all the way. Sorry if my attempt to help wasn't very helpful.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I fixed it (at least partially)! Here is what I did. I went to Settings > Applications > All Applications > Amazon Kindle and chose "Uninstall all updates." This corrected the book issues.

Here is what I think happened (ApK was right): I have Google Play installed. Somehow it decided to update the Fire Kindle app with Kindle for Android. When the notification appeared it was not clear where the update was coming from Amazon or Google. I updated and it screwed my Fire Kindle app.

Now I need to figure out how to get my Music app back. Is it possible to reflash to the original firmware?

Last edited by osnova; 03-22-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not the same.

Quote:
I fixed it (at least partially)! Here is what I did. I went to Settings > Applications > All Applications > Amazon Kindle and chose "Uninstall all updates." This corrected the book issues.

Here is what I think happened (ApK was right): I have Google Play installed. Somehow it decided to update the Fire Kindle app with Kindle for Android. When the notification appeared it was not clear where the update was coming from Amazon or Google. I updated and it screwed my Fire Kindle app.

Now I need to figure out how to get my Music app back. Is it possible to reflash to the original firmware?
I went where you went and did not see an option to "uninstall all updates." My version of Amazon Kindle is 4.1.2.12. The app management screen only shows "Force Stop," "Clear Data," "Clear Cache," and "Launch by Default." You may still have the android app installed there.

If you go to Settings \ Device, at the very bottom you will see, "Reset to Factory Defaults." That may get rid of improper apps and start you over fresh. After you do that leave the Fire in Sleep Mode at full charge for at least 12 hours to get back the update to the firmware.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I presume osnova was referring to Google Play's settings, not the Fire's setting.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The app management screen only shows "Force Stop," "Clear Data," "Clear Cache," and "Launch by Default." You may still have the android app installed there
To the right of "Force Stop" (which was grayed out) I had "Uninstall updates." It was in regular Fire settings (not Google Play).

Last edited by osnova; 03-23-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

Opposite shading

Quote:
I had to the right of "Force Stop" (which was grayed out) "Uninstall updates." It was in regular Fire settings (not Google Play).
On mine the "Force Stop" is not greyed out. Another box next to it is greyed out and I cannot make it out. That one could be the "Uninstall updates."
Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I had to do a factory reset to get the Music tab to work. Now I am back to prestine new Fire.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
ApK

Quote:
On mine the "Force Stop" is not greyed out. Another box next to it is greyed out and I cannot make it out. That one could be the "Uninstall updates."
On mine, that grey button is just "Uninstall."
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
On mine, that grey button is just "Uninstall."
That may explain what happened. He may have uninstalled "Amazon Kindle."

A Factory Reset probably restored all original factory installed apps.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
That may explain what happened. He may have uninstalled "Amazon Kindle."

A Factory Reset probably restored all original factory installed apps.
No, no. It was indeed "Uninstall updates". When I uninstalled updates, it turned to regular "Uninstall." As I mentioned, uninstalling the updates fixed the issue with the books but not with music. I guess my situation happened only because I had a rooted Fire with Google Play and by error installed the update of Kindle for Android over Fire's Kindle application.