Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
But you need to be careful where to settle down. Where I live there are very few WiFi hotspots. But you'd be welcome to come and sit in my garden if you want to!
Looking at your avatar my guess would be somewhere between Norsjö (for Dragon Girl fans) and Karesuando.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
There are gardens is Sweden? I thought the growing season was like, a week and a half. What could you possibly grow there?
Our gardening season is considerably longer than your skiing season. (if memory serves me right the Sandwich Isles is the original name before August in '59)
Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Wink You're 'avin' a lough, entcha ?

That's alright, we don't mind - no, it doesn't have a spell checker....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Our gardening season is considerably longer than your skiing season. (if memory serves me right the Sandwich Isles is the original name before August in '59)
Believe it or not we DO have a skiing season, the Big Island of Hawaii is one of the few places in the world where you can ski in the morning, drive for an hour and surf in the afternoon. We also have the tallest (base to summit) mountain in the world.

I don't ski, but I have been in snowball fights, and built snowmen on the slopes of Mauna Loa, and that's only the second tallest mountain, Mauna Kea is taller, and is where folks usuall go skiing.

I’m not sure how long your growing season is, but I’ve a hunch that it’s similar in length to our skiing season.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Quote:
Well, the obvious answer to that is... Emigrate! Oh, but wait; then you’d have to learn Swedish. Oh well, being bi-lingual can’t be all bad.
You mean tri-lingual??
English isn't my first language
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Yes, lLet's be clear about the "get online" statement and 3G.

Just because it has 3G, that doesn't mean you can web-browse. The original Nook, for example, can only access its store via 3G. That's really the purpose.

The Kindle 3G 2nd gen and 3rd gen I know can surf to a very limited extent, but given the speed of its CPU and the screen refresh...it's barely workable to browse the web. My wife used hers to check her email from time to time before she had her smartphone, and it works...very, very slowly, and only the basic version of her webmail (since fancy java and flash websites and such aren't going to work on the Kindle).

Thank's RHWright and GreenMonkey.
I did not realise that. Great to know!

I do not intend on web-browsing with the help of an e-reader, but my hubby wants to read some news...

We'll see.
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #22
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I just went through making my decision for a new small reader and bought the Kindle3 Keyboard WiFi/3G reader from last year. It is the last Kindle besides the Kindle DX that has full 3G access with out having to pay for the 3G. I will be able to access my email and other web sites using it. My choice was nailed when we were without WiFi at home for an entire week while waiting for replacement parts for our WiFi Router. I was able to access email using my Kindle DX 3G. The newest Kindle Touch readers have 3G, but it only connects with The Kindle Store and Wikipedia.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Believe it or not we DO have a skiing season, the Big Island of Hawaii is one of the few places in the world where you can ski in the morning, drive for an hour and surf in the afternoon. We also have the tallest (base to summit) mountain in the world.
I actually did know that. Some 16 years or so ago I spent a forth night on Oahu. The problem with the "ski in the morning, surf in the afternoon" concept is that no one actually does it. Either you are too tired or too busy, and if you do have the time and inclination you might as well divide it up in two days.
Believe it or not, we (in the south of Sweden, where I live) DO actually have two harvests in a season, one early summer and one mid autumn. The reason; Sun is up some 18 - 19 hours, so things grow fast. The same reason we have superb strawberries (you wouldn't think of Sweden as Strawberry Fields).
Old 02-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #24
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
I do not intend on web-browsing with the help of an e-reader, but my hubby wants to read some news...
I'm not sure if this will help or complicate matters, but ...

Calibre has a news download function. It will download news from a website and convert it into an e-book of the appropriate format. You can have it automatically send it to your device if the device is connected or has an e-mail address that ebooks can be sent to. You can also set it to run at a certain time, so you could, for instance, leave your computer on overnight with your e-reader connected, and have Calibre download the news and send it to your e-reader before you get up.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #25
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
3g is a signal to get online from anywhere a cellphone can get a signal.

wifi is a signal to get online from a computer/network nearby.

EX: for 3g you can pick up a signal because someone has a AT&T cellphone.
for wifi you can pick a signal sitting at McDonalds.

I actually just sort of learned the difference the other day.

My KK3 has WIFI only and i kind of like it that way.
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
You mean tri-lingual??
English isn't my first language
I guess that you have a step up then, I've heard that a third language is easier than a second.

Wouldn't know first hand though, I only have one!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
I actually did know that. Some 16 years or so ago I spent a forth night on Oahu. The problem with the "ski in the morning, surf in the afternoon" concept is that no one actually does it. Either you are too tired or too busy, and if you do have the time and inclination you might as well divide it up in two days.
Believe it or not, we (in the south of Sweden, where I live) DO actually have two harvests in a season, one early summer and one mid autumn. The reason; Sun is up some 18 - 19 hours, so things grow fast. The same reason we have superb strawberries (you wouldn't think of Sweden as Strawberry Fields).
I'll grant you that it's usually not done for the reasons you cite, but it HAS been (not by me, I don’t do either), for no other reason than to be able to say it.

I was born and raised in the state of Wisconsin, in the northern US. I suspect the climate there is much like in Sweden. That’s why I live Hawaii!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
I was born and raised in the state of Wisconsin, in the northern US. I suspect the climate there is much like in Sweden. That’s why I live Hawaii!!!
I bet it is, and I wish I could do the same. Need someone to mow your lawn, file your nails, snot your nose?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
I bet it is, and I wish I could do the same. Need someone to mow your lawn, file your nails, snot your nose?
Please form an orderly queue. No pushing there at the back!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Please form an orderly queue. No pushing there at the back!

I'll be taking applications (auditions) in person in beautiful down town Honolulu!

Last edited by wodin; 02-07-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Tags
3g and wifi