Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
illustrata
Enthusiast
illustrata began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, kindle
Desperately seeking expert (hired) help

I have an epub that is working pretty well and validates fine. I need some advice for getting it available on iTunes (as an individual or a publisher?). I also need a Kindle/mobi version, which I produced using Calibre but which went a little haywire on indents, spacing and chapter navigation.

In other words, I would like to hire an ebook pro to finish this job quickly, and get it done right. I am flat out of available time, my learning curve was longer than expected and I have other obligations that are not going to permit me to get any better at this until about October.

Is there anyone out there who hires themselves out professionlly? I could pass you the epub (created in Sigil) and the mobi (converted in Calibre) and you could tell me what it will take to make it happen.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

(Is there a classified board I missed?)
illustrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
If you're happy with your epub and it validates you could try a distributor like Bookbaby. They will take your epub and do the Kindle conversion for you. The Apple iBookstore is on their list of outlets, along with Amazon, Sony and B&N.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
illustrata
Enthusiast

Thanks -- although I worry about cookie-cutter results (like Smashwords meat grinder), although if they can use a meatgrinder and come up with good results I wouldn't mind a bit. I may contact them just to see what they think.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Doesn't Amazon accept epub submissions and do the conversion themselves? I feel like I've read that. Of course, I don't know what quality the conversion is.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
David Gaughran
@DavidGaughran
David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none (yet)
I format all my own e-book files (and hand-code the HTML for perfect results).

If you want your formatting to be perfect, I recommend doing the same. It's a bit of a pain to learn, but you will get the hang of it in a day or two. After that, it's relatively painless.

Guido Henkel has an excellent, free step-by-step guide to doing it yourself (here).

If you want to hire someone, the pros charge about $200, but they also have waiting lists.

Guido Henkel will do it for $100 for a basic book (with no links or images), going up to about $150 for books with those extras.

I do my own, but if you want to pay for it, I highly recommend him.
David Gaughran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gaughran View Post
I format all my own e-book files (and hand-code the HTML for perfect results). If you want your formatting to be perfect, I recommend doing the same.
I agree. Get the html right and you can generate mobi and epub from it.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
David Gaughran
@DavidGaughran
David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Gaughran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none (yet)
Some people use things like MobiPocket Creator or just saving the Word doc as a HTML file, but personally, I don't recommend it. You might get lucky and come out with a clean doc on the other side, but more likely there will be formatting probs you aren't even aware of (some only appear on certain readers).

If you do it my way, you can look forward to reviews like the one I received from SIFT when they said "This is the most professional design - both inside and out - that I have seen since I started reviewing at SIFT".

It's worth the little bit of extra time and hassle to get your formatting perfect. It really is.
David Gaughran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
illustrata
Enthusiast

I was hoping to get the hang of it --- but it's been far more than a day or two and I'm pulling my hair out with the seeming unpredictability of ebook production and all the varying format capabilities (html for Kindle, css for epubs, blah blah). I would love to get good at it and hopefully will be able to eventually -- but this pub needs to go out *now*.

I am total agreement with your last statement.

I will try the recommendations for this round, and hope to be on this board someday giving my own tips eventually.

Thanks to you all for your responses. I'll let you know how it comes along...

Tags
consulting, expert, hired help