Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #91
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
My first thought on that "Sleeping" square was... SERIOUSLY? I actually find myself wanting to try this firmware but what was somebody thinking when they redesigned how it shows the Kobo sleeping? I actually preferred the banner although I would rather it at the bottom than the top but it's not a big thing. This is just ugly.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #92
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
If that is your number 1 and only important priority, keep 2.5.1. I opened other books and all seem to have more space than in 2.5.1, but less than 2.5.2. I even changed the margins to see if they had just made the margins equal all 4 sides, but it only changes the side margins, as before.
Thank you, Uschiekid. I'm just trying to hang on to as much text as possible.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #93
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Or better yet, give us an option to completely turn off their sleep banner or box or whatever they think up next for it so we just see the book cover only. I already posted how ugly I think it is.
That box on the 'full screen' sleep cover looks terribly ugly indeed. (And the banner already was not exactly aesthetically pleasing.)

What's the purpose of indicating sleep mode in such a crude way? A cover is displayed while looking at the first page of a book that includes a cover or in sleep mode. Do they really worry about users confusing these two states? The old banner at least had the % read info, the new one is just a useless, awkwardly dimensioned and awkwardly placed box.

The new home screen too seems to be a step backwards from an design point of view. But it might well be more ergonomic than the old GUI in some use cases.

One wonders what motivates KOBO to implement such - arguably pointless - design changes when they could make use of their resources to implement some useful features and/or fix known bugs instead ...
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #94
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
That box on the 'full screen' sleep cover looks terribly ugly indeed. (And the banner already was not exactly aesthetically pleasing.)

What's the purpose of indicating sleep mode in such a crude way? A cover is displayed while looking at the first page of a book that includes a cover or in sleep mode. Do they really worry about users confusing these two states? The old banner at least had the % read info, the new one is just a useless, awkwardly dimensioned and awkwardly placed box.
The "box" does display the % read info.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #95
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

The new home screen too seems to be a step backwards from an design point of view. But it might well be more ergonomic than the old GUI in some use cases.

One wonders what motivates KOBO to implement such - arguably pointless - design changes when they could make use of their resources to implement some useful features and/or fix known bugs instead ...
Out of curiosity, have you ever handled an Aura in sleep mode with the covers set to full screen? The only way to get a book cover without a % read is to not have selected a book to open.

In the real world, after you have selected a book to read, the box on the screen which, in my opinion, seems to be set so it will miss the majority of book titles and author's names, does display the % read and, if the reader is connected to a power source, the battery %. In light of your criticism above, this suggests that you have not seen a sleeping Aura with a book cover displayed in full screen mode. If you don't use the full screen mode, you get sleeping and, if connected, the battery % above the book cover and the % read below it. Powering off the Aura changes the background for the box in full screen mode otherwise the portion of the screen around the book cover to black making it very easy to determine which state it is in.

As for the new GUI, it is a definite step forward. You get more information displayed compared to the carousel, adding 5 new books doesn't push all your current books (in progress and finished) off the screen and most of the tiles are dismissable. I'm not that impressed being able to go to a location in the library by inputting a page number since I use search to locate books but some people have indicated a liking for that option. I like seeing a single tile that says I added 7 books which I can use to open the library in recent mode without having to open the library and switching to recent mode every time just to find the book I was reading when I decided to add some new books.

As for worrying about the user confusing the states? Yes, it's a valid worry. Most the ebooks I buy open on the cover. If there is no indication as to which mode it is in, how do I visually determine whether my Aura is waiting for me to tap the screen, sleeping or powered off? If I put it to sleep, how can I be certain that it is sleeping and not powered off or still waiting for me to tap the screen?

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-07-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: usual fat fingered typos
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #96
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:

i think it is to show whether the device is powered off or in sleep mode, i mean which of these two states. one could argue that the default could be sleep mode and that only powered off would state that, but then the people who always power off mightnt be pleased. not to mention all the people out there who would be calling support saying "my kobo is broken, I can't turn the pages...I keep trying but nothing happens!!" In other words, they have to have something showing it's asleep or the less endowed (brain-wise) would be confused.

And as skydog has pointed out, the box does show the %.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #97
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I apologize in that the pictures I took included a book on the cover I had not even opened. Yes; the square box does show the % read (as does the text at the top if you're not in full-screen mode).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #98
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
i think it is to show whether the device is powered off or in sleep mode, i mean which of these two states.
The simple solution is when the device is powered off, it displays just a blank screen. The only readers that ever get to the power-off state are my extra 5 Sony 350s, since I only use 1 or 2 at the most, and that's how they function which is very nice to know the difference between sleep or full off.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #99
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For what its worth, the links to the 2.6.1 firmware files have been posted in the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread in the Kobo Developer's Corner.

Regards,
David
Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #100
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I must be 3 times mentally deficient to buy 3 Kobo readers.

Maybe buying 3 T1 readers compensates?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #101
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is the wasted menu space at the bottom of the screen gone as well?
What wasted menu space? When I long press to do a dictionary lookup on a word on the last couple of lines of the screen, I find rather nice that the text is not covered by the menu. Admittedly, with my preferred font size, line height, margins, etc. I only get 30 text lines per page but it could be worse. Heck, if there is more than 1 paragraph per page, I loose a fraction of a line to the space between the paragraphs -- a space that I inserted in the stylesheet.

BTW, the space at the top of the page is ~2mm wider than with 2.5.1. Oh, the horror of it all! Civilization as we know it is about to vanish into chaos!

Regards,
David
Old 06-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #102
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I must be 3 times mentally deficient to buy 3 Kobo readers.

Maybe buying 3 T1 readers compensates?
Got you beat. Bought a Kobo Wifi, cracked the screen after 1 month, bought another, was very hard to find one as it was around christmas time, then bought a Touch when they came out, passed the Kobo Wifi to the wife, then bought a Glo, passed the Touch to the wife, dropped my Glo after about 3 months and broke the screen and had to buy another Glo. Thankfully they had them at Costco with Sleep cover for $129.99. That's 5 Kobos in about a two year period.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #103
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

BTW, the space at the top of the page is ~2mm wider than with 2.5.1. Oh, the horror of it all! Civilization as we know it is about to vanish into chaos!

Regards,
David

You're telling me that space wastage has actually increased? Well that just totally makes perfect sense.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was answer buy a guess. Not actual information. That's why I'm asking again.

Thanks for that. Now if Kobo wants to sell another Aura, all they have to do is get rid of the wasted bottom space and I'll buy.
Yawn. That statement of yours is getting rather boring. Kobo has had that reserved space at the bottom of the screen since the original Kobo. It now serves the purpose of allowing me to bring up the menu bar without having it cover two lines of text. You may not agree with the need to do so. An opinion to which you are entitled. On the other hand, my opinion is that you are a one-trick pony and that trick has been seen too often to be amusing anymore.

So do us all a favour and stop your repetitive* posting in the Kobo forum while waiting for Sony to release their updated reader. I wouldn't recommend holding your breath while doing so -- purple is just so not your colour.

repetitive: Containing or characterized by repetition, esp. when unnecessary or tiresome.

Regards,
David
Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #105
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Download 2.6.1

Thanks to DNSB

Download links can be found here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...185660&page=24

Remember use at your own risk...

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote