Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien 17 13.08%
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik 13 10.00%
The Deed of Paksenarrion: The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (book 1) by Elizabeth Moon 24 18.46%
Magic Kingdom For Sale — Sold! by Terry Brooks 6 4.62%
American Gods by Neil Gaiman 22 16.92%
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8 6.15%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 5 3.85%
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 8 6.15%
The Princess Bride by William Goldman 11 8.46%
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 16 12.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2010, 04:28 AM   #46
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
No question....Lord of the Rings...
Yes! I can't remember how many times I've read it, but have enjoyed it every time. If it get's chosen I'll even buy the ePub version - presuming I can find it in Australia.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #47
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Another tough choice this month. I've actually read (and enjoyed) most of the books in the poll, so I decided to go for something I haven't read - Paksenarrion.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #48
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
His Majesty's Dragon is an excellent read. I've read all five books in the series and are waiting for the 6th Tongues of Serpents released July 13th. Since I've already read it I voted for A Game of Thrones.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #49
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Voted for "American Gods". Would like to read it again anyway, and it could be fun to discuss it.

But who on earth is it that called "His Majesty's Dragon" by Naomi Novik first part of a trilogy? The sixth novel in the series will be released in a few weeks... I can recommend them BTW - lots of good old-fashioned fun and brilliantly drawn characters (esp. the dragons).
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 AM   #50
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is an eBook. http://www.webscription.net/p-100-th...senarrion.aspx But we have a problem. The Deed of Paksenarrion is not a single book but an omnibus. So it doesn't count. The listing and the people who seconded/thirded it may not know it's an invalid nomination.

Deed of Paksenarrion
1. The Sheepfarmer's Daughter (1988)
2. Divided Allegiance (1988)
3. Oath of Gold (1988)
The Deed of Paksenarrion (omnibus) (1992)
Isn't LotR a trilogy too? 3 volumes with 2 books each? Then I guess the poll should only mention "The Felowship of the Ring".
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Isn't LotR a trilogy too? 3 volumes with 2 books each? Then I guess the poll should only mention "The Felowship of the Ring".
No, it isn't. Please see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=21
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #52
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know this, but the fact is that the novel is published in three books and we are supposed to choose a book. I think there are omnibus versions that include everything in a single volume, though, like the previously mentioned Moon's works. But then, the same principle should be applied to both cases.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I know this, but the fact is that the novel is published in three books and we are supposed to choose a book. I think there are omnibus versions that include everything in a single volume, though, like the previously mentioned Moon's works. But then, the same principle should be applied to both cases.
If you don't wish to read it all, nobody is forcing you to do so, but the fact that "The Lord of the Rings" is sometimes published in three separate volumes doesn't change the fact that it's a single book. Would you consider "The Encyclopaedia Britannica" to be 30 (or however many it is) separate books, or one book published in 30 volumes?

When LOTR itself says "this is not a trilogy but a single novel", I honestly don't see that there's any valid case to answer .
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #54
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
If you don't wish to read it all, nobody is forcing you to do so, but the fact that "The Lord of the Rings" is sometimes published in three separate volumes doesn't change the fact that it's a single book. Would you consider "The Encyclopaedia Britannica" to be 30 (or however many it is) separate books, or one book published in 30 volumes?

When LOTR itself says "this is not a trilogy but a single novel", I honestly don't see that there's any valid case to answer .
I can't wait for the next non-fiction month, so I can nominate The Encyclopaedia Britannica!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #55
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
The word 'book' is used in different ways. It can refer both to a whole work and to subsections of the work. Think of the Bible, which is spoken of as 'the Good Book' and which consists of several very different books - the Book of Psalms, the Book of Job, the Book of Genesis and so on.

The six books of LOTR recount one single story, with a beginning, a middle, and an end. The end brings to resolution all the different lines of the story in what most readers regard as a satisfactory conclusion. One would not advise anyone to read, say, Book 4 and Book 4 alone. Nor would one be satisfied with reading only the first Book. LOTR is a book made up of several books.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #56
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
who on earth is it that called "His Majesty's Dragon" by Naomi Novik first part of a trilogy? The sixth novel in the series will be released in a few weeks
I can understand if someone thought it was a Trilogy since you can by the book: In His Majesty's Service
An omnibus edition of the first three volumes in the Temeraire series, His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade, and Black Powder War.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiz16 View Post
hi , first post for mi here , had to post after seeing that paks is almost taken out.
No, there wasn't really a chance of that... even if it wasn't available as an ebook... I really would probably not have changed the poll and disenfranchised the nominations and votes it has received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can't wait for the next non-fiction month, so I can nominate The Encyclopaedia Britannica!
Is that available as an ebook?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok.. I made my choice, Deed of Pak. and if it wins I will be springing for the $6 at webscriptions even though it can be had for free at the Bane CD archive site to support DRM free books and the Author.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is that available as an ebook?

BOb
Yes. The 1913 edition of EB is at PG. Not yet complete - it's up to the letter "E" in volume 9.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yes. The 1913 edition of EB is at PG.

If it's nominated, I'll vote for it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote