Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #91
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I have never found good quality green tea bags and I have tried. This is one product that I think you really have to find in a Japanese store. I didn't even like the green teas that I tried from the Asian market (mostly Chinese).

Good green tea is very hard to find. I think I posted earlier that Glandeves has a very good white peony tea that reminded me of some of the very good Japanese green teas. That's the closest I have come other than getting it from Japan. And it too is a loose tea.
Green tea is exceptionally vague, especially if you're comparing it with a white peony, which is a white tea. You can get greens that have all the grassy ("vegetal" in the circles) nature of a weak wulong, and you can get greens that have the flatter, rounder taste of white teas. You can get stuff with all sorts of different character too, depending on the cultivation method and location. Brewing method is variable too and has quite an impact on the result, as does the water. As a result, few people can give a very good assessment of green tea quality overall, but rather their preferences given their abilities at brewing different varieties. I know people who were unwilling to try tamaryoku after disliking gyokuro, thinking that the more expensive gyokuro must be "superior". Even general "sencha" is incredibly varied, not just on a linear scale of quality.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #92
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Oh I agree, that "Green Tea" is general. Getting it from a single estate worked well for me--but again, I have friends that sent it. "Sencha" in Japan, so far as I tasted, versus sencha here--not the same tea. I'm not familiar with all the ones you've named and it is true that one likes what one likes.

I didn't mean to imply I was an expert. But I still haven't found a green tea of good quality taste in a bag.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #93
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You have to let the coffee cool down a bit before adding the soya milk - the high temperature is what causes the soya milk to curdle. (Or you could add a little cold water instead of waiting - if your coffee is a little strong to start with!)

I've never had this problem with tea - although the water to make tea must be boiling, by the time it's brewed and poured I find the temperature is down enough to not curdle the soya milk without having to make any special effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do you put soya milk in tea/coffee Geoff??
I tried it a couple of times but it 'curdles' on contact - looks horrible.

Wouldn't mind having a soya milk option for coffee, but I've never got it to work.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #94
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Well, my tea arrived on Friday morning at 7am - Friday is my day off, so that disposed of that lie in!

I wasn't quite aware of how much half a kilo of tea is. For people more used to imperial measures it's a little over a pound. I had ordered a caddy from them too, which is not small. Roughly one quarter of the tea fits into the caddy. I've bought what would appear to be many months supply of tea...

As for the tea itself, it's not quite what I had hoped. I like very strong tea. When I brew a cup of tea and it is entirely opaque then I'm happy. My tea looks like coffee if I get the chance. This Orangajuli doesn't do that sadly. It seems to be more "planty" than the tea I'm used to. Perhaps it's fresher, or better handled. Maybe it's less oxidised (I understand that's what makes black tea black tea). In any case my first few cups were sadly a disappointment.

However subsequent to that I left the caddy lid off over night, and have started slightly crushing the tea in the infuser before it goes into the mug. Perhaps a combination of that and getting used to the new tea has had an effect, and I now very much enjoy it. I tried a mug of Twinnings earlier today and it surprisingly didn't feel like any kind of relief. So it took a few days but I'm now hooked on this new tea.

I do regret ordering quite so much of the stuff. It'll take a very long time to get through it all, and I'm inclined to try many many different types of tea to find the "perfect" tea for me. If I go and do that then all I'll do is end up with a huge bag of tea that I'll never drink..... I have some ceylon tea that's been sat in a cupboard for a year, I doubt that'll ever get drunk. I used to mix it with some rather strong (but rough tasting) Kenyan stuff and it made a passable drink.

As for the scissor type infuser I bought I'm not yet convinved about it. It's certainly easier to brew the tea, and it does an admirable job of keeping the leaves separate... But it completely prevents me squeezing the leaves, which I do when I'm brewing tea, which has the effect of reduced strength. I can wave it around in the mug or pot, but that does very little if anything. When i'm brewing tea without an infuser I have two different kind of seives I can use. Because of this I can get a spoon into the teapot and really disturb the leaves to get the goodness out.

I suspect I'll order some of the little samples from one of the places mentioned in a previous post. I think they were 60p each and there was no separate postage cost.

The most difficult part is that I know virtually nothing about tea, nor do I know of a place to learn about it. I understand that different plant varieties grow in different locations, and I'm sure the soil affects that too. Also that there's different ways of the tea leaves being treated which will have an impact, but I don't know of a resource to learn about it. Thus I'm pretty much stabbing in the dark. All I know is I like strong tea without any complimentary flavours like ginger, citrus etc.

Thankfully this little hobby is relatively inexpensive!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #95
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
However subsequent to that I left the caddy lid off over night, and have started slightly crushing the tea in the infuser before it goes into the mug. Perhaps a combination of that and getting used to the new tea has had an effect, and I now very much enjoy it. I tried a mug of Twinnings earlier today and it surprisingly didn't feel like any kind of relief. So it took a few days but I'm now hooked on this new tea.
Glad you've come to like the Orangajuli It might also be worth putting a teaspoon more in the pot than you would do normally
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #96
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but there is so much good information I thought I'd bump it and add my own 2 cents.

I only buy Earl Grey loose tea. My wife likes variety and so I end up drinking Lipton and Yorkshire, also. I buy my tea online here, Coffee Bean Direct, a kilo at a time. I find it to be very good, on par with Yorkshire and Twinings.

When brewing, I've found the most important thing for me is to set a timer at four minutes so my brew doesn't get bitter. No milk, but I do like my sugar, and this is where I'll be burned as a heretic, I make Earl Grey iced tea. It's the best.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #97
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm a tea drinker, too, but fortunate to have an Asian market (well, a couple of them, really) nearby. I like black or oolong tea. I usually let it brew too long for most people's tastes.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #98
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I did it again. I posted to an old thread. Beat me with a wet teabag someone!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #99
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Well, as long as you brought enough pie for everyone, it'll be alright.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #100
mongonia
mongonia began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Ah, a tea-egg, tea-ball or tea-infuser. I got one from a local market.

Here's some cheap-ish ones:
http://www.vitaminlifehealth.com/710...B000UZUA32.htm
http://www.greenlife.co.uk/greenlife...tea-egg/41447/
https://www.umiteasets.com/tea-leaves/white-tea.html

There's an expensive one here andhere

I have a spare cheap one, which I fill with herbs and a couple of peppercorns for a bouquet garni, when making stock.
Are these teas are good for reading at night, i love reading and tea, but i always get tried when i read book at night, a cup of tea may improve with it.
mongonia is offline   Reply With Quote