Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #46
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have read about many more dependency issues with Linux then with Windows.

Kovid says that most support issues are from Linux users even though they are a small percentage of Calibre users.
Dependency issues... Lol. Maybe ten years ago that was a thing. Not anymore though. And that had to do more with older Fedora releases, which is more bleeding edge than say Linux Mint, Debian or Ubuntu. I have been using Linux since 2008 and I have never run into dependency issues. In fact I read about them a few years after I started using Linux and it was something more for history books and the more difficult distros where you are responsible for where packages are installed from, how they are installed, etc.

Also, you're using a "he said she said" argument. I suggest trying it out, and not just at a glance. It is different and it will seem confusing because it's different, but in reality it's just as easy to use as Windows (if you go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint) or easier even.

I also don't see why he claims centralized distribution is something old. Windows 8/8.1 is the first Windows to include a store, Android and iOS use centralized distribution too and they're quite new. Linux and MacOS are the only ones to have been using it for years and years now. In fact it's decentralized distribution which is an old and outdated method. You have to scour the net to find programs versus just searching the store and installing right away.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #47
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
I also don't see why he claims centralized distribution is something old.[snip] Linux and MacOS are the only ones to have been using it for years and years now.
Did you make a little mistake there in an overeager attempt to say that there is no such thing as dependency issues in Linux? Or did you just say that the only way to get a program installed on Linux with dependencies is through centralized distribution?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Enjoyed the pun. I've heard the virtual boxes are slow.
It very much depends on how old your computer is, what processor and how much memory you have and how modern Windows you want to use inside the VM.
For quite a lot of stuff you just need Windows 2000. A W2k image in VirtualBox on a computer manufactured in the last 10 years is screaming fast.
You just need to select a different (not the default) chipset in VirtualBox to install W2k.

I used to have Hyperthreading Pentium 4 with 2GB RAM.
I needed to use MS Word to help my friend to format his book to a *very* specific demands of publisher.
At work I had MSOffice 2007. That bloody, ribbon-infested thing took longer to start on the computer with the same class of processor and the same amount of RAM than VirtualBox + W2k + MSOffice 2000 on Linux on my home computer. And I had full-blown lavish desktop with lots of effects running as a host.

At this moment I do not even have a VirtualBox with Windows on this machine at home. For many years I was multi-booting - FreeBSD, various Linux distros and other systems, plus Windows. Gradually I noticed I boot into Windows less and less. So I re-used my Windows partition and I set up VitrualBox (or was it Quemu?) - so my wife could use Windows-only interactive CD she needed for her English class.
Once I discovered a free [as a beer] AutoCAD clone Draft Sight for my needs, I lost the last reason to want to maintain Windows on my home machine.

Out of *numerous* computers in this household only one has Windows on it (purchased very cheap, second-hand, with sticker with Windows and MSOffice license), because I grew tired of explaining to teachers that my daughter will be handing her electronic homework in OpenOffice + PDF format, because I refuse to pirate Microsoft products AND I am *not* willing to pay for license just for very occasional homework in powerpoint. The computer gets booted once a month.

I DO have license for Windows for this notebook. I was looking forward to installing it to the VirtualBox, now that I have processor with 4 hyperthreading cores with direct support for virtual machines and enough RAM. But the license number for bloody Windows 8 for this notebook is burned into BIOS, so it is unusable in a virtual machine (without pissing against the wind) and dual-boot was complicated [at that time - I haven't investigated recently] because of W8 architecture - use of several partitions by default plus bloody UEFI. So I have upgraded Windows 8 to Mint Linux and I am very happy.

This Linux computer is also my main desktop and my main book-management system and I am very happy with it. Calibre runs *very* well on it. I do support Windows machines at work (besides many other things), so I can make an informed decision about what system I like more. For quite a few years I was happy FreeBSD user.

Disclaimer:
All the commenters in this thread have my very special permission to prefer and consider superior whatever system they wish
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #49
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Did you make a little mistake there in an overeager attempt to say that there is no such thing as dependency issues in Linux? Or did you just say that the only way to get a program installed on Linux with dependencies is through centralized distribution?
I wasn't even discussing dependency issues in that part, but OK... A centralized distribution method makes it easier to install software, but it's not the only way.

For Debian based OSes:
You can also use apt, which will install software, update software, as well as check and install dependencies when needed.

Use .deb packages on Debian based OSes. For average Joe, this is like an .exe.

You can install software from PPA repositories on Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Add the PPA and then just use apt to install.

And of course, you can do a manual installation through terminal. This is of course where you can run into dependency hell if you aren't careful.

The thing is, if you are using one of the more commonly used distros, the latter option is very rarely needed. Most software either is in the store, has a more up to date PPA that you can add instead of using the store, has a deb (or rpm for Fedora) or has it's own preferred installation method (i.e. Calibre).

The last time I had to mess with a manual installation of software was years ago when I first started using Linux and needed a graphics driver back in 2008.

Needing to do a manual install usually means you are installing something pretty obscure these days or you are running an OS that is more complex than the average user would choose.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I wasn't even discussing dependency issues in that part, but OK... A centralized distribution method makes it easier to install software, but it's not the only way.
My apologies. Your post, which I quoted part of it was an answer specifically about Kovid complaining about dependency issues. I didn't realize you strayed off topic (concerning the dependencies) halfway through your post.

Quote:
And of course, you can do a manual installation through terminal. This is of course where you can run into dependency hell if you aren't careful.

The thing is, if you are using one of the more commonly used distros, the latter option is very rarely needed. Most software either is in the store, has a more up to date PPA that you can add instead of using the store, has a deb (or rpm for Fedora) or has it's own preferred installation method (i.e. Calibre).
Rarely needed is the key point. If you never install anything other than the recommended default programs in a distro, you will be still happy with linux, as that usually covers the majority of uses. And for every "correct" way to do things, there is a many "wrong" ways to do so as well.

Quote:
The last time I had to mess with a manual installation of software was years ago when I first started using Linux and needed a graphics driver back in 2008.
That is good for you, but you are only one user. And you admit that it is or can be a mess to do anything by hand or from other than the automated packagers / installers. In every OS it is very much easier to simply use what is installed than to also do your own system administration - that is why there is IT departments whenever computers are used in a company.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #51
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That is good for you, but you are only one user. And you admit that it is or can be a mess to do anything by hand or from other than the automated packagers / installers. In every OS it is very much easier to simply use what is installed than to also do your own system administration - that is why there is IT departments whenever computers are used in a company.
It depends on the IT department. At the two companies I have worked, I've always preferred to keep them far from my computer. Not usual companies, that's true (both IT companies).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
It depends on the IT department. At the two companies I have worked, I've always preferred to keep them far from my computer. Not usual companies, that's true (both IT companies).
Yes, keep IT away. They tend to mess up your customizations.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #53
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
You can download ADE 1.7.2 here :
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb40305...ents/setup.exe
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #54
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Yes, keep IT away. They tend to mess up your customizations.
They tend to mess all. Period.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #55
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
I suggest trying it out, and not just at a glance. It is different and it will seem confusing because it's different, but in reality it's just as easy to use as Windows (if you go with Ubuntu or Linux Mint) or easier even.
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Disclaimer:
All the commenters in this thread have my very special permission to prefer and consider superior whatever system they wish
Thanks for the great information--and the permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
Thanks. Got it.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the prefect guide for using a Reader from Linux.

Step 1. Install Windows
Step 2 forget Linux
Step 3. Install ADE 2.01, nook study, Kindle For PC
Step 4. Install Calibre
Step 5. Install the DRM removal plugin
Step 6. Configure the plugin and Calibre
Step 7. Enjoy!

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-25-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #57
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Wow! That's a lot of steps.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #58
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I think you missed the whole "Pay for Windows" step.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I think you missed the whole "Pay for Windows" step.
Most computers come with Windows. Just do a recovery install to go back to Windows as it came.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #60
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I have the prefect guide for using a Reader from Linux.

Step 1. Install Windows
Step 2 forget Linux
Step 3. Install ADE 2.01, nook study, Kindle For PC
Step 4. Install Calibre
Step 5 Install the DRM removal plugin
Step 6. Configure the plugin and Calibre
Step 7. Enjoy!
I have it down to six steps:

Step 1. Install Windows in Virtualbox
Skip Step 2.
Steps 3 through 7.

If someone really needs a Windows program, this is the best way. You get to sandbox Windows and still use your chosen OS. Does this ADE stuff need the Internet? If not, you don't even have to let Windows expose itself.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote