Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
Finished.

I just co-wrote, edited and submitted a 23,000 word novella, including blurb, pitch and synopsis - all in ten days.

I think I'll take the evening off.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Good for you.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
I just co-wrote, edited and submitted a 23,000 word novella, including blurb, pitch and synopsis - all in ten days.

I think I'll take the evening off.
That's how I usually do it. Finish writing, and relax. Then I print it and start editing. Grats on getting it done.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it's edited and polished and submitted! Gone.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
No, it's edited and polished and submitted! Gone.
Whoops, missed that line in your post. Double grats!
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Wow, that's AMAZING.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Nice one
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
EileenG
Zealot

Let's just say there was a certain competitive element between me and my co-writer. No messing about with "I'm not sure about this scene, I'll sleep on it." It was a case of "Write the damn thing and we'll polish it later."

She did all the girl scenes, I did all the guy scenes.

In fact, I'd hope that next time, we would have a smoother system to be more productive so that we didn't duplicate anything.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Let's just say there was a certain competitive element between me and my co-writer. No messing about with "I'm not sure about this scene, I'll sleep on it." It was a case of "Write the damn thing and we'll polish it later."

She did all the girl scenes, I did all the guy scenes.

In fact, I'd hope that next time, we would have a smoother system to be more productive so that we didn't duplicate anything.
Team writing can be difficult at first and then it can become easier. The longer term problems I understand are more with the "flavor" or the "feeling" of the book. Later after all the mechanics are worked out, is each writer really comfortable and satisfied with the results. It is then that disenchantment may arise even though everything has been successful for a while.

It is like a music group. Some just want to hammer away and make the money. Others begin to have problems with members. Still others feel they want to go a different direction from where the band or the band leaders want to go. Some just want to stop working so hard, and enjoy life more.
And of course after they break up, it is still complicated, and sometimes more so.

I would only suggest that after the job, you sit down with your partner and try to formalize some rules whether iron clad rules or just gentle reminders and pointers about things that have come up.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats! So is the book 23k words, or 46k then?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
EileenG
Zealot

23k in total.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
SRH59
SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SRH59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505
Congratulations. The competitive element should never be underestimated when it comes to providing creative motivation.

You deserve to pat yourself on the back.
SRH59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
EileenG
Zealot

Now we are considering doing a series of them.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Am writing for a charity anthology with the theme of "The Three Billy Goats Gruff".

I hope the editors are favorably inclined towards Gruff space opera featuring xenoarchaeologists in rattling jumpships...
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
EileenG
Zealot

Update.

We just heard back from the editor. She wants a few expansions, but she likes it!