Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
Got my PB360 today , but is still charging

Well, after a few days deliberation and many hours of reading (mostly from Logseman, kacir, anabelee, fjtorres, Guns4Hire et all, with the support of mtravellerh), I followed Dr. Drib's advice and ordered a Pocketbook 360 . Got it today, and is charging now. I already loaded the SD card that came with it with all the books that I have been gathering for years.
My first impression is very positive; the device is very light, fast and handles very well, however I have to familiarize myself with it a little more because I still don’t understand many of the more technical comments in the forum, on the customizing aspect of the PB360.
I’m sure I’ll have questions and will post them here to amuse you’ all. Right, mtravellerh?

Thanks to all of you that have posted your impressions here, making the decision-making process a little easier for the ones that come to these fora precisely looking for this kind of support.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm hoping you'll get a lot of pleasure out of using it.

If you have any questions, just ask. Many owners will be happy to welcome you and to assist in any way they can.

I've got an 8-gig card in mine and I've only got 1.5 it filled. The joy is being able to read prc, epub, txt, rtf, html, etc. It's such a versatile little reader.

You can configure the buttons the way you like. Mine is configured just the way I like it.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-29-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Yay on your purchase of (IMNSHO) of the best e-reader!

I've customized mine to exactly how I like it and now just read. In fact, it's been so long since I've "played" with the settings that I may be hard-pressed exactly how to do stuff - and I've had my PB360 for almost a year, and use it daily!

So, don't feel bad if you have to ask questions. We all were once in the same boat (and some, like me, never really got out! ).

Happy reading!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Welcome to our happy crew! You'll soon learn why we call the 360 Mighty Mouse--it's small but powerful! And we all asked (and many of us still ask!) lots of questions, so feel free to join in!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I feel at home already!

I plugged & unplugged the PB360 3 times until the light turned green, following some recommendation I read somewhere, and have many weekend activities with my kids, so I haven't played with it as much as I want!

However, now that you mention customizing, please let me (us) know about your particular customization, i.e. buttons, dictionaries, themes, any other application you might've found. I have lots of Spanish books, so I reckon I will need the dictionaries. I found the Spanish equivalent of MobileRead, but haven't found the time to look around. Too many things to do...too little time to get up & running with my PB and read.
Advert
Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
One of the main customizations I like are themes and logos. You can find threads containing both around the Pocketbook forum.

I like using stamir_360 theme (very clean and useful). Oh, and I have about 150+ pictures loaded on mine, with it set up to show logos at start up and shut down. Very pretty pictures, aka "screensavers" (though I know they're not...).

Oh, and I have/use FBreader180. Not for the wrist-turn function (it irritates me) but because it is w-a-y customizable.

And, I like to make folders I go to all the time my "Favorites." Makes for quicker clicking to a folder to select the next book.

I use a sans serif font 'cause I find it's easier to read. With FBreader180, not only can you load/use any True Type font, you can scale the font from tiny to HUGE. Your choice.

The biggest settings use I have is that all my buttons are page-forward (except the left hand long press on the D-ring is back). That way, no matter how I hold my PB360, any button I press advances the page. Very handy, that.

These are just a few of my settings. There are many more and truthfully, you can spend a LOT of time fiddling with it to get it just right. So, play with it, find what you like and have fun!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Mine is set up similarly Marilyn's--I have a different theme (and I change it from time to time), and not as many "screensavers". I have fbreader180 set up for the wrist turn, and my folder structure is different--mine is genre-author without a favorites or TBR folder, although I've been thinking of adding one. I use the default font. My buttons are probably pretty standard--top short is forward, top long opens the extra info, OK short opens the in-book menu, OK long goes back to the home page, bottom short is back, and a hardly use the rest. But the D ring is set up for forward and back, too.

But this is just as of today; it's always subject to change because I can!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Thanks for keeping the info flowing. I will give FbReader 180 a try tonite, I'll keep you posted. And I'll try some of the themes, although the default theme looks pretty good, but doesn't show as many books. If the icons were smaller (any way to work this?) I would be happy with it. I guess is like you say, just because we CAN, we should just try everything!

Has anybody used the RSS function lately? Does it still suck? Is it worth the time?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
Thanks for keeping the info flowing. I will give FbReader 180 a try tonite, I'll keep you posted. And I'll try some of the themes, although the default theme looks pretty good, but doesn't show as many books. If the icons were smaller (any way to work this?) I would be happy with it. I guess is like you say, just because we CAN, we should just try everything!

Has anybody used the RSS function lately? Does it still suck? Is it worth the time?
Try the MiniFred Theme:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=37
Or FIVE.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=33
I Favor FIVE, myself.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-01-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Add links
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
atreju
atreju began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I just ordered a Pocketbook 360 today. I look forward to getting to play with it (and I will be keeping an eye on this thread for other suggestions you all give Chikwako).

I decided on the Pocketbook 360 after reading through these forums - I need an ereader that can handle English, German and Japanese. I look forward to getting it - I've downloaded ebooks off of here and Aozora Bunko, English and German dictionaries, and I'll start looking at the themes mentioned above.

I was wondering if anyone has put together a Japanese-English dictionary (or Japanese-German, either way with Japanese being the look-up language)? I can't read Russian, so I haven't tried browsing those forums. I'm not sure I could create a Japanese morphems-collates-keyboard file set for the dictionary converter, but I suppose if no one else has created one I could attempt it. Figured I would ask first - no need to invent the wheel twice.
atreju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Well, installed FBreader 180, but didn't see the difference in any of the books I opened (this program is for epubs, right?).

It could be that my books have defects, cause I tried to open a few, and only some of them opened. Others said "Cannot open. Maybe this book is damaged or in a format not supported".

Thanks for the themes fj, I installed them and will rotate them whenever I feel like changing them. Right now, I'll stick with stamir, because it looks pretty much like the original 360 theme with smaller icons. And I do like that one the best, except for the small book list.

After experimenting somewhat with my 360, I think the best format it handles is fb2. I am impressed that this format is not as popular in the US, but I think is pretty much standard in Europe. Go figure.

Anyway, I'll keep posting my findings here. Thanks so much for you comments and keep them coming, please.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
Well, installed FBreader 180, but didn't see the difference in any of the books I opened (this program is for epubs, right?).

It could be that my books have defects, cause I tried to open a few, and only some of them opened. Others said "Cannot open. Maybe this book is damaged or in a format not supported".
Are the ebooks DRM'ed?
DRM'ed ebooks can only be read with Adobeviewer, they won't load into FBReader.
If they are, you can try the hacked Adobeviewer which lets you specify a font and margings, at a minimum.

FBReader works with HTML, RTF, DOC, FB2, PRC/Mobi, and ePub.
Adobeviewer works with ePub and pdf both with and without DRM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
FBReader works with HTML, RTF, DOC, FB2, PRC/Mobi, and ePub.
No, they are not protected.

Could it be that I installed it wrong? because I have fb2, doc, mobi, and they have worked before.
I found 2 folders, one with the app, the other I think it is called fbreader_180b_src. I deployed them and put them in the bin subdirectory of the system directory. Is that it?

Last edited by Chikwako; 02-02-2011 at 05:42 AM. Reason: answer question
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Try opening the epubs with Adobeviewer and see if it complains.
If it doesn't, try importing them into Calibre on the PC.
That way you'll know if it's the file or the app.
DRM-free ePub shouldn't be an issue...