like Dracula and dickens
study books paperback £127 health and saftey manual ebook £10.35 each
which is a very good value for money
now i never buy paperbacks if not in pb or hb i wait
lost66615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
I've saved about 90 dollars on books since getting my ebook reader at the end of july. My ebook reader will pretty much have paid for itself by the end of the year I think.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Saved?

I buy so many more books since I got a Kindle that it's cost me hundreds of dollars!

Each individual book may be cheaper on average but it's so much easier to buy and read books that I'm just reading a lot more :-)
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
In books, it has saved me about $450, since I borrow about 95% of my reading material from the library.
In devices, not so much, as I've tested 7, and have an iPad on the way.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I've read a lot of books for free that I would not have read if I had to pay the usual $12.99-$14.99 for them.

I would have bought other books instead, but not as many.

I got my jetBook Lite for Christmas. It paid for itself in three months.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Crouch View Post
Saved?

I buy so many more books since I got a Kindle that it's cost me hundreds of dollars!

Each individual book may be cheaper on average but it's so much easier to buy and read books that I'm just reading a lot more :-)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
tritto...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I would say that ebook readers have saved me hundred of dollars. Between PG, here, Baen and the like, I have not had to spend a dollar on a book in two years (don't worry Baen, I do plan on buying several sets of books from you in the near future). In addition, because my wife and I read so much, we have been able to ditch the $70 a month cable bill and not even miss it.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If you include the equipment for my book digitization project, it has been a dismal financial failure. But the purpose of going to e-books was to save space, allow me to keep my book collection, and to improve the portability of my books; that has been a roaring success so far.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
botrerta
botrerta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
If I take into account the upfront hardware cost, I probably haven't saved much at all ..... but I don't really care as it has got me back into the swing of reading again - very convenient to buy books online rather than trying to browse a bookshop while two annoying kids (mine) wreak havoc upon the place!

Last edited by botrerta; 10-07-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: idiotic typo
botrerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I have no idea, because that wasn't my focus. I suppose I did save money when I could freely get U.S. books that I would have otherwise bought from Amazon France, with VAT plus the cost of importing the book. Now that most of these books are unavailable to me from US stores and I have to get them (if I can get them at all) from UK stores, I suppose the price must be similar to what I would pay for an imported paperback.

French books are way more expensive in e-form, but then I mostly don't need to buy them, since I can borrow the paperback from my local public library. And many of the books I want are not available in e-form anyway.

So I guess I may have saved a little on some books, but I doubt that is enough to cover the cost of two readers (the first one broke down and I had to buy another).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It wasn't about saving money, it was more the practicalities.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It wasn't about saving money, it was more the practicalities.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Hard to say. My cost per book is about $8.50 factoring in cost of all books purchased plus cost of all devices purchased, and divided by books read (including free ones). That is more than the $5 or so I used to spend per used bookstore book, but it does include new releases I previously would have waited for the paperback on (for example, Room by Emma Donoghue is $30 in hardback but hit the best-seller list so went down to about $12 in ebook). Also, this calculation does not factor in books I have purchased but not read yet. It is strictly money spent divided by number of books read.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
No idea, but I know I've saved, because I regularly bought trade paperbacks upward of 16 bucks, and my typical e-books sell for less.

Also, I'm overseas indefinitely, in places where English-language books easily cost double or triple U.S. prices. With e-books, I save, save, save. I visit bookstores and gloat, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote