Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
alvico
Addict
alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alvico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Book publishers tackle digital challenges (Australia)

From ABC News:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...15/2819883.htm
alvico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
These folks have the opportunity to create a successful pilot project that shakes up the entrenched Industry practices. What do they have to lose?

If they do it right all us foreigners might just have to get VPN access down under! And fake Australian addresses.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Vicki, that's most interesting. I listen to ABC Stereo FM, but had completely missed the item.

Now if we only had a way as customers to have some input..

I wonder if Christine of ECO Reader fame will be taking part and can give us some feedback?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Very interesting article, thanks for the link. Let us hope that geo restrictions removal is part of the talks.

it certainly needs to be!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I grew up in Denmark, and can confirm that Australia is about 10 years behind the rest of the world...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
So long as they don't push the government to repel the parallel import restrictions, this is all futile ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
About time, too. Really there was no need for Australia to be so far behind when it could have been ahead of the game.

One of the first small publishers to dedicate itself exclusively to ebooks was the excellent Jacobyte Books in Adelaide, back in the nineties. (The forward-thinking professional author/editor Meredith Whitford, who ran the house, is an MR member.)

But there was so little interest in digital books -- zero from local arts councils -- that my own wee BeWrite Books took over the company in 2004 to save some of its authors and titles from oblivion.

There's a wealth of talent still untapped in Australia because the publishing industry there seems to be dragging its feet.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Good article, thanks for the link. I have two things to say, (a) it is about time, here in Australia we are so far behind the 8-ball on so many things, and (b) I truly hope a model isn't rushed and pushed to market which will give an end result of high prices, essentially pricing themselves out of the market.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
...and, Neil, the cynic in me suggests that our most forward-thinking "Australian" publisher lives half a world away and goes by the name of "Neil".

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Coming from a chap who numbers among his pastimes stump collecting, brainspotting and word-botching, I take that as a great compliment, Mark. Thanks. By the way, did you see local author Andrew Thelander in this week's Noosa News? Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Coming from a chap who numbers among his pastimes stump collecting, brainspotting and word-botching, I take that as a great compliment, Mark. Thanks. By the way, did you see local author Andrew Thelander in this week's Noosa News? Very best. Neil
I just went to the reading room and checked it out. He toots for ebooks and his wonderful publisher.

I think I might have to grab a "hard copy" from one of our few local bookstores (he says they should be there) as it looks a good read (I thank you for earlier offer - I'd like to give a local in particular some dollar support).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Vicki, that's most interesting. I listen to ABC Stereo FM, but had completely missed the item.

Now if we only had a way as customers to have some input..

I wonder if Christine of ECO Reader fame will be taking part and can give us some feedback?

Regards, Alex
Hi Alex, I wasn't at the symposium yesterday, but my colleague was, so I'll ask him.

I'm pleased to see meetings like this happening in Melb and Sydney.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Well, the Federal Government has told publishers to pulll their collective fingers out...

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/167288...n-e-books.aspx
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Well, the Federal Government has told publishers to pulll their collective fingers out...

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/167288...n-e-books.aspx
Thanks for the article. It's a sad state of affairs in Australian publishing industry if the government has to step in to tell them how to do their business.
I think the government should probably do something about the parallel import legislation which was passed not so long ago. The publishers certainly don't want to see this go away. If the government is serious about putting pressure on the publishers, they should threaten to remove parallel import protections.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I grew up in Denmark, and can confirm that Australia is about 10 years behind the rest of the world...
The media is, certainly.

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait ... maybe copy ...

is hardly going to get you to industry leadership positions.

Last edited by Blue Tyson; 04-06-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote