Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Marvin Mysteries - two copies which behave differently

This will be a long post to cover the background, so please bear with me.

I traded in my iPad2 for a refurbished mini some months ago, and had some problem installing the old apps, including Marvin, on the mini. But Marvin still worked as I wanted it, and it was by far my favourite ereader.

Then came the iOS upgrade, and I had major problems with iBooks and worse problems with Marvin - Marvin stopped honouring page break before and page break after tags, even though they continued to work on iPad and Bluefire, and on a Sony T3, a Kobo Touch, a Nexus 7 with Mantano, and on Kindle azw3 ebooks converted from the original ePub with calibre.

I upgraded the iOS again last night, and after that tried to upgrade Marvin to the latest version. For some reason entirely mysterious to me I now have two separate versions of Marvin on the iPad mini.

The 'old version' has all the ebooks I had until yesterday, and still shows the page break problems on the old ebooks and on an ebook I had just finished for the MR Library, A Dark Night's Work by Elizabeth Gaskell.

The 'new' version did not recognise any of the ebooks in the 'old' Marvin's library. It asked me if I wanted to upload the freebies which came with Marvin, and I accepted that offer. I also uploaded A Dark Night's Work. On the 'new' Marvin the page break problem is fixed. But my in the TOC on the ebooks I design there is a list of option links. On the 'old' Marvin and iBooks and Bluefire and all my other readers the top link works as expected - it brings up the next 'page.' Using exactly the same ebook on the 'new' Marvin selecting that top link invariably makes it go to the previous page.

Also, I checked the Marvin freebies on the 'new' Marvin. I couldn't find a similar ToC to test, but did notice that on all of the ebooks I tested the covers bleed through to the next page: that is, the only about 80% of the cover is on the opening page, and the bottom 20% is shown on the next page.

Could somebody please download A Dark Night's Work by Elizabeth Gaskell from the MR library, and test it on an iPad with the latest version of Marvin? I desperately need to know whether there is a problem with my iPad or my ebook design.

What should I do about the two versions of Marvin on my iPad? I really want to have Marving working again so I can use it as my standard reader on my iPad. I'm thinking of deleting both versions and starting over; any advances on that?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Could it be that you have the old iPad only version that's still on the app store (now Free IIRC) as well as the newer universal app version?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Could it be that you have the old iPad only version that's still on the app store (now Free IIRC) as well as the newer universal app version?
Yes, that's entirely possible. But I don't see how that explains the problem with the cover on the Marvin Freebies, or the problem that the first link in the ToC in my ebooks sends the reader back to the previous page when using the newest version. And one would expect that a new version of Marvin would overwrite an older version. So far as I remember that happens with every other software I use.

Now that I've calmed down a bit I accept that I may be conflating two problems - how I now have two versions of Marvin, and why the first link on a ToC does not work with Marvin as it does on every other reader on which I test my ebooks.

I'll wait for a while for any suggestions, then delete the old version first and see what happens. If is still have problems I'll delete the new version, and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I can't speak to your problem with TOC, but maybe kguil, the author, will come in and answer that for you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
And one would expect that a new version of Marvin would overwrite an older version. So far as I remember that happens with every other software I use.
When kguil made the app universal he released it as a new app. The old one is, last I looked, still in the app store as an iPad only version, with a warning that it's not current anymore [it may be that it's only still visible to people who had it in their purchase history? maybe it became the one that now says it's the free edition?]. Since they're technically different apps they can both be installed at the same time.

Here's a link showing how to migrate from when the current universal app was current, clearly showing that you could have both installed at the same time:

http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/67661991764
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, twowheels. I'll wait as patiently as I can for kguil's response.

I'd really, really, like to go back to using Marvin as my iPad reader.