Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
eReaders for Children this Holiday Season

Anyone planning on giving a child an ereader this holiday season?

For Christmas, I'm giving my 4-yo grandson a Kindle Fire 2, a Gumdrop case, and a subscription to Kindle FreeTime Unlimited. I think it's the best combination of size, price, content, and ruggedness for a child his age. Amazon hit a home run with FreeTime Unlimited and the books alone make it an excellent value.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
O.o I didn't realize you were old enough for grandchildren. I always imagined you in your 20s for some reason lol.

No ereaders for the kids this year, older one still prefers picture books. Maybe next year.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
shakeitsalome
shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Black)
My 8 year old is getting one. At first she wanted a Fire but after researching it she decided on the basic no-frills Kindle 4. She's a voracious reader so I'm certain she'll use it a lot. I haven't chosen a cover/case for it yet. When she turns it on the first time she'll find it pre-loaded with books she hasn't read as well as a few favorites.

I think I'm a little bit too excited about seeing her face when she opens it. Wait, nevermind, I'm not.
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
O.o I didn't realize you were old enough for grandchildren. I always imagined you in your 20s for some reason lol.
Same here. I almost fell off my couch when he said GRANDson!!

Verymaturemonkey, this sounds like an awesome combination. You even thought of the case!!

Not really an ereader, but my 9 yo nephew is getting a 5th gen iPod touch, and I'll load the English Potter audio books on it, as well as the German equivalent of Overdrive that works with his home town's library.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Same here. I almost fell off my couch when he said GRANDson!!
What can I say? I don't act my age. Even though I'm ancient, I still feel and act young.
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeitsalome View Post
My 8 year old is getting one. At first she wanted a Fire but after researching it she decided on the basic no-frills Kindle 4. She's a voracious reader so I'm certain she'll use it a lot. I haven't chosen a cover/case for it yet. When she turns it on the first time she'll find it pre-loaded with books she hasn't read as well as a few favorites.
Excellent choice on her part. I have last year's version and love it. It's my favorite ereader.

Does your library have ebooks? If so, considering setting up an online account for your daughter so she can check them out. It's easy to do and would be another Christmas surprise for her.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Not really an ereader, but my 9 yo nephew is getting a 5th gen iPod touch, and I'll load the English Potter audio books on it, as well as the German equivalent of Overdrive that works with his home town's library.
Oooo... I want that.

That's an excellent combination. Something to else to consider is a charging speaker dock. Maybe someone else in the family can get him one for a gift? I have an iPod touch 4 and several speaker docks scattered about the house. My iPod is used mainly for streaming music (Pandora, Amazon MP3, etc) and audiobooks (library, Audible, etc). I keep it in a speaker dock and listen while doing other activities. Then when I change rooms, I grab my iPod and place it in another speaker dock so I can continue listening to my book or music. It's very convenient.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
I got my wee one a cheap-ish android tablet to use for educational games, movies, and reading. He uses my kindle every now and again to point out words.

Hope he enjoys it. At the least it didn't break the bank if he doesn't or if it gets damaged.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I always imagined you in your 20s for some reason lol.
I am sure a monkey can be a grandparent in his/her 20s.

Our (then) 10 year old daughter got a blue Cybook Opus as her main present last Christmas. That was easily the most successful present ever. The small size and roundish optics make it very suitable for a child as well. I plan on getting a Kobo mini for our son if it's available. Unfortunately he isn't much of a reader yet. Perhaps an electronic option to read will change that.
Our public library also has an attractive selection of ebooks for children and teenagers and it is getting better every day.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Oh yeah, good idea bout the speakers. I started accumulting a small collection of those as well, to have one in each room. It's amazing how good the mini ones are these days.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What can I say? I don't act my age. Even though I'm ancient, I still feel and act young.
I always think of the phrase "I may be growing older but I refuse to grow up." lol. Can't let the kids of today have all the fun.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
shakeitsalome
shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shakeitsalome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Black)
Quote:
Excellent choice on her part. I have last year's version and love it. It's my favorite ereader.

Does your library have ebooks? If so, considering setting up an online account for your daughter so she can check them out. It's easy to do and would be another Christmas surprise for her.
Yes, it does! I hadn't even thought of doing that! Considering my mom works there it should be super easy to do without her catching wind of it. Thanks for the idea!
shakeitsalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Both my 3 and 4 year old grandsons love their Kindle Fires. I love that they are made so sturdy.

I didn't know about FreeTime, but reading about it now. Sounds great for both of them. Glad the subject came up.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Anyone planning on giving a child an ereader this holiday season?

For Christmas, I'm giving my 4-yo grandson a Kindle Fire 2, a Gumdrop case, and a subscription to Kindle FreeTime Unlimited. I think it's the best combination of size, price, content, and ruggedness for a child his age. Amazon hit a home run with FreeTime Unlimited and the books alone make it an excellent value.
My 6 year old grand girl is getting a Nexus 7. (Mine not to reason why, but just to follow orders and buy.)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My 10-year-old got a Nook Tablet last year for Christmas, and has used it every single day since then. She uses it primarily for reading, too, though she does play some games as well. (She has an N2A card, so she can use it as an Android Tablet if she wants.)

My 3-year-old (almost 4) got a refurb Nook Color a couple of months ago. She does like to play games and read (or have read to her) stories, but she doesn't use it as much as the older one.

I think they're great for older kids. My older daughter doesn't have a room full of books everywhere anymore.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote