Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM   #20461
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro, Onyx T68, N7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
If you like historical fiction, I highly recommend the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. Very interesting, funny and accurate.
Agreed. It's perhaps worth noting that all 12 books in the series are available in an omnibus edition which not only is very good value in itself, but regularly goes on special offer. I bought it for £9.99, which is only 83p per book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM   #20462
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Finally finished my re-read of Last Stand of Dead Men and am now halfway into Earth Flight by Janet Edwards, the final book in her Earth Girl trilogy. Really enjoying this a lot - so far it's been well worth the wait.
And finished it last night - it's a book full of stuff I'd generally sneer at (a very obvious "message" of racism/prejudice is bad, some rather corny-sweet romance - both of those things aren't exactly bad things obviously but I usually prefer more subtlety in my reading) but you know how sometimes the things you generally sneer at in other books just work? The Earth Girl trilogy is like that for me - I really ended up loving it.

It just felt so very refreshingly different from the recent generic "cocky girl is special and the fate of the world hangs on her but she meets handsome, mysterious bad boy and the rest of the plot is shoved aside from there on" trend in YA. Yes, there's romance, but with an actual nice guy, and the plot is never forgotten. Plus it was just nice to read a YA series that is set in a believable future (28th century Earth and Earth colonies) with plenty of fun but practical and realistic-feeling technology. There aren't a lot of books like these, especially with female protagonists.

I'm just sorry it was only a trilogy, but I'll be reading whatever the author writes next.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM   #20463
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST GlowLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Meanwhile, on to Dinosaurs and a Dirigible by David Drake. One from the September Baen Bundle (no longer available as a bundle). A collection of five shorter works.
An enjoyable collection, although the last story is unconnected (apart from an obvious time travel theme) to the other four.

Next up: The third omnibus in Charles Stross's Merchant Princes series, The Revolution Trade
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #20464
bfisher
Guru
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Galaxy (Aldiko)
Currently reading the Oresteia by Aeschylus. The translation I'm reading is by Robert Fagles. Agamemnon and The Libation Bearers were excellent; just starting The Eumenides. I wonder what this would be like as an audio book? I read this 40 years ago in a comparative lit course in college, but I can't remember which translation I read then. I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. Thinking of rereading the Odyssey, as this is where I suppose that Aeschylus got his plot.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote