Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Is there a way to create collection on PC and upload to Kindle?

Pardon my absence of knowledge if I am asking a Noob's question but I just got my Kindle DX and trying to figure out if thats the device I need.
Well, love the screen, definitely looks impressive. But my question is if I could create folders (collections or tags) on my PC and then download them to Kindle. Kindle definitely lacks good folder support, that I found a very nice and useful feature on other ereaders. Yes, it has collections. But is it actually possible to create a collection on PC, put the docs you want in that collection and then upload it to Kindle? Its very annoying and uncomfortable to upload all the docs to Kindle and then create a collection on device itself trying to group all those files.
Tnx.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Check out this thread. Not exactly what you're asking for but close.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
You can also do it with Calibre and a plug in. The big problem I have is that Calibre won't tell you what is already in a collection when you are trying to add books to a new collection. It makes it very hard to deal with large numbers of titles, so I gave up and just use the Kindle interface.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
Pardon my absence of knowledge if I am asking a Noob's question but I just got my Kindle DX and trying to figure out if thats the device I need.
Well, love the screen, definitely looks impressive. But my question is if I could create folders (collections or tags) on my PC and then download them to Kindle. Kindle definitely lacks good folder support, that I found a very nice and useful feature on other ereaders. Yes, it has collections. But is it actually possible to create a collection on PC, put the docs you want in that collection and then upload it to Kindle? Its very annoying and uncomfortable to upload all the docs to Kindle and then create a collection on device itself trying to group all those files.
Tnx.

I use meme's Kindle Collection Plugin for Calibre it rocks for making collections. When you have your Kindle plugged into the computer it will show all of the books on your device and which collection they are in. Then you can just hit the check mark to add the book to a collection.

The way I do it is to "Edit Kindle collections manually" from the plugin. That will bring up the list of books on your device.
Then you can select the collection you want to add books into and sort the column by either Title, Author, or Date (i.e. Click the "Title" column to sort by title, then click the "In Collection" column twice to have it sorted by titles-not in collection).
You also have the "Collections" column which will tell you what collections the book is already assigned to.

I had to recreate my collections one day shortly after finding this plugin, and it made the ~1000 books no problem at all to sort.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote