Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
A Short & Sad Kindle Story

Folks-

Amazon Kindle Support has not gotten back to me and I hope you can help. In a moment, I will tell you a long sad story, one full of red herrings. Before that let me tell you my symptom:

--I am on the sreen saver and no action I can take will make it do anything else.

OK. Got the device on 24 December. It worked fine. I like it. Took it on the redeye to Houston. Left it on (with Whispernet also on). It went blank. Once I got here in Mexico I plugged it in and it worked fine. I suspect I killed the battery by leaving the wireless on.

I am now in Mexico. I powered down and removed the SD card. It fired right back up.

I am now in the state I discribed above. I have the screen saver art and nothing I can do can change it. I have done everything but one thing. I have repeatedly:
-Turned off and on power (why does the screen saver not go away with no power?)
-Turned off and on the wireless.
-Turned both off and on.
-Pressed Alt + Caps + R (soft reset).
-Pressed Alt + Font Size.
-Done all these things when it is plugged in and when it is not.
-- I have NOT used the pinhole in the back. Yet.

Hoiw ought I to proceed?

Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like the battery is dead. Try charging it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Did you charge the Kindle for at least 4 hours? Your post is not clear on this point.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
And using the pinhole on the back is quick and easy. It's not like you'll lose any info or anything, I would try that. If all else fails, take the battery out, then put it back in and charge it up....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

I have charged it overnight. (Further I just checked; the hotel outlet is live, I am getting a yellow charging light.)

So that being said, would the assembled multitude propose I do the paperclip thingee?
Advert
Old 01-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Yes, please try the "paperclip in the pinhole" trick and let us know if it worked.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

Done and done. It is working fine again. (I wonder what that was all about? Do I need a battery?) I would caution any newbie reading this that the hard reset seemed to take forever. Don't lose heart.

Thank you all.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
tsgreer

Yay! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The straightened paperclip in the tiny hold under the back cover is the solution. I've had it happen to me, and that always works. You won't hurt the battery by leaving the wireless on, but you can leave it on always like I do by rescharging it every single night. I love to read in bed, so I keep my charger right beside my pillow. In fact the Kindle is the only kind of a "book" that I can really read in bed, since it takes just one hand to hold it and change pages, which I can't do with a regular book. Kindle says the battery will last longer if you recharge it frequently, rather than let it run dry, and then recharge. Incidentally, I reall love my Kindle -- it is much easier on one's eyes than a backlit reader, plus with the wireless turned off, a charge lasts more than a week. My laptop won't even last two hours.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Mine has crashed like that about 5 times since I got it Nov 20. The last time it showed that all my Kindle memory books were 'erased' and the only content I had was on the SD card. If I took out the card there was nothing in the device, including the instruction manual and howdy letter from Bezos.

Doing the paperclip trick restored everything right away. I have taped 2 paperclips on the inside of my back cover and carry another 2 paperclips in the Kindle cover. The second and third times it did it I was in a hotel and luckily the front desk was open and had paper clips.

Seems our marvelous little thingy has a mischievous streak built in and likes to show us who's Boss from time to time.

Glad your restore worked! Scary ain't it.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Saudi View Post
OK. Got the device on 24 December. It worked fine. I like it. Took it on the redeye to Houston. Left it on (with Whispernet also on). It went blank.
Hope you don't mean that you left the wireless on on board the aircraft. It's a cell phone, and it's a criminal offence to have it switched on on board an aircraft in flight, is it not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #12
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur

(If you don't tell the Feds, I won't. It was a redeye and I simply forgot.)
Old 01-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Saudi View Post
Done and done. It is working fine again. (I wonder what that was all about? Do I need a battery?) I would caution any newbie reading this that the hard reset seemed to take forever.
I had to do that now and then on my old Rocket eBook, and a few times on the Sony Reader. Always a good idea to try it when nothing else works. Just like having to reboot a computer when it freezes!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
ctitanic
Enthusiast
ctitanic is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsug Q1 UMPC
The hole in the back is what we called a soft reset. It reboots your Kindle. Palm and Pocket PC users knows about these little holes.
ctitanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
ctitanic
Enthusiast
ctitanic is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsug Q1 UMPC
In fact, I would recommend that if you see anything wrong or taking too long in your kindle, just go a stick anything on that whole and reset it. That will save your battery from overloading.
ctitanic is offline   Reply With Quote