Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Nook simple touch battery suggestions..

I have seen TONS of people with problems with there nook battery. Had a buddy of mine had some problems as well. Seemed like it was eating to much battery. Besides making sure your Wi Fi is off with will helped, This is what I learned from TONS of research. Someone Feel Free to Correct me if they think im wrong.

It seems the best Idea is to use a wall charger for charging the battery. Charge it up to 100 percent. Let it completely drain to the point it shuts off once or twice at the most. I am gonna do it twice.

After that, recharge it when it hits 15 to 20 percent.

Now of course the new nook touch does not come with the wall charger, I was lucky. The wall charger from my old nook works fine. To buy it I THINK its around 10 bucks but dont quote me on that price.

Now it is still possible you got a bad battery, Of course on the new nook you can not change it yourself anymore. Buddy of mine went and got himself a wall charger for his. He says it solved his battery issues. Just a idea to try. Hope that helps.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
It seems the best Idea is to use a wall charger for charging the battery. Charge it up to 100 percent. Let it completely drain to the point it shuts off once or twice at the most. I am gonna do it twice.
That was good (and necessary) advice for nickle cadmium batteries. Lithium Ion batteries, however, do not have the charge memory issues, and this is not necessary.

Quote:
After that, recharge it when it hits 15 to 20 percent.
Again, this was good advice on NiCad batteries, but the research I've seen suggests that this not only isn't true of LiIon batteries, but might actually shorten their life (as opposed to recharging more frequently when its only slightly discharged).

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/battery-life.htm

have more information.

Quote:
Now of course the new nook touch does not come with the wall charger, I was lucky. The wall charger from my old nook works fine. To buy it I THINK its around 10 bucks but dont quote me on that price.
On my nook color, the wall charger provides more power than the standard USB port allows, so it's important (or at least a whole lot quicker) to use it rather than charging from your computer. If they're not including a wall charger for the Touch, I suspect it makes little difference, but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Now it is still possible you got a bad battery,
I suspect that's the case far more often than not.

Quote:
Of course on the new nook you can not change it yourself anymore. Buddy of mine went and got himself a wall charger for his. He says it solved his battery issues. Just a idea to try. Hope that helps.
It could also be a matter of the little tiny USB jack on the device being a little senstive to positioning, and when it's plugged in to the wall charger, it's in a better position for a good, solid connection.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Thanks so much for the correction. Up to this point I was just going on what others were saying. Still new to allot of this.

I for sure need to do more research on it. See what they are saying. Still seeing places that swear it needs calibrated by running it dry. One said at least every couple of months. Not buying that one.

So I am off to research even more. I thank you so very much for your information. Have a nice day.

FINALLY found the thread over at the nook forum that addresses this. You for sure don't wanna let get below 20 percent before you recharge it.

IMHO, Buy the wall charger for it. Its only 5 bucks. Use that to charge it up. They claim for the first charge, its important to use the wall charger to get the most out of the battery. Get it to 100 percent before you use it the first time. Why barns and noble does not include it in the purchase is silly IMHO.

They suggest if your having issues with your battery draining to fast, and your sure your Wi Fi is off, completely discharge it one time, Use the wall charger to charge it up to 100 percent before you use it one time. See if that fixes the issue. Then make sure you charge it up before it hits 20 percent.

Again thats ONLY if your having problems with it loosing its charge to fast. If that does not fix it. Then you probably have a bad battery.

Last edited by tym; 01-10-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have my wi-fi turned off and can go for 2-3 weeks on a single charge (reading 1-2 hours a day). I'm not sure what the problem is?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Yep, having a battery problem since the second recharge. My battery is draining way too fast. <sigh> I bought the STR precisely because of the purported longer battery life than the classic nook. A member on this forum suggested "topping the battery off" every time you do a full recharge. I might have to try that.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
I bought two Nook STs last month. Both came with a wall charger. I have no idea why you are saying it doesn't come with one?

I had trouble with high battery discharge (~20% day) with the first unit because I used a trick to skip the OoBE so I didn't have to register the device. Since I couldn't work around the battery consumption, I reinitialize the device and created a B&N account without a CC from within the Nook ST and completed the device registration. It worked fine after that.

With the 2nd Nook ST I just registered it using the same account as the first device. I've also had no problems with that device either, although right now it's shutdown completely as I'm reading a hardcover.

Both devices have the wireless shutdown and are always charged with a wall-wart, either the B&N one or another generic one. The first one was gifted and I recommended charging it about every two weeks. From the limited time I ran it, 3 weeks of normal use should not be a problem either.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
just_me
just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
That was good (and necessary) advice for nickle cadmium batteries. Lithium Ion batteries, however, do not have the charge memory issues, and this is not necessary.
Actually in this case it is not about the battery's memory. It is about allowing Android to better understand what is empty and what is full so that it can better guess the current level. In the end, there is no clear report from the battery that "now I am at x%". The software will try to guess based on tiny changes in the voltage.
Now, this can be useful to be done each time you do a full wipe of your device (including the battery stats) or you write a new ROM (operation which wipes the stats).
Anyway, this is not necessarily giving you more battery life but it is actually improving the chance that when you see 30% left it is really 30%. Otherwise, you might see 10% left and start charging when you actually have a lot more juice left.
In my experience, what is draining the battery is either WiFi or some app not allowing Android to go to sleep (WAKE_LOCK). This (the app part) can be for various reasons: badly written, trying to refresh the data (from web for example) too often, bad implementation of error scenarios (for example, at work I have a WiFi which does a redirect on the first attempt to access a page in the browser and I have to give some credentials; if I connect to WiFi but do not give the credentials, Google services are continuously trying to sync and will not allow my device to sleep at all - which depletes the battery in few hours - I saw this on my phone, not on my Nook STR, I always turn WiFi off on Nook).
just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
tym
Connoisseur

Gf Bought my Nook at wall mart. Mine did not come with the wall charger. When they dropped the price to 100bucks they removed the wall charger.

You want to make sure the firm ware is up to date. That seems to solve lots of issues.

It is gonna take a couple of cycles to get the battery issues worked out some what.

You can expect to get about 4 to 5 novels out of one battery charge. Give or take.

You can also try to shut down and restart your nook after it is charged to 100 percent.

Now when all else fails. You have had your nook touch and your 14 days are up, its still using to much battery, You have tried everything, Nothing is fixing it, WELL........You CAN replace the battery in it. I suggest you use this ONLY as a very very last resort.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/itd...ook-color/2639

Now like I said you can get 4 to 5 novels on one charge. Should take you from 100 percent to 15 to 20 percent.

One last idea, Your firmware is up to date, You have charged it to 100 percent, you restarted your nook. You have given it a couple of cycles, Its still using to much battery. Your Wi Fi is off. Your past your 14 day return. Your stuck.

Ok charge it to 100 percent, Load 4 or 5 books on your nook, Read til the thing shuts itself off. How many books did you get done? It could be what your nook is saying for charge is not reading right.

Recharge it to 100 percent, Restart your nook and count the novels you were able to finish til it shuts off. Did it improve?

In the end its your product. Use it. Keep in mind what the nook is saying you have for charge could be wrong. So see if thats the problem. Read it till your nook shuts off. Just a few ideas with people with issues.

I just thought of one more idea. Re download the firmware updates. Put it in your nook. There are instructions how to do this at barns and noble. Or simply ask and someone will walk you though it. Super easy. Re Aply the firmware updates. Let it reboot. That may or may not help. Just another idea.

Last edited by tym; 01-11-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
betty77
betty77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I have my wi-fi turned off and can go for 2-3 weeks on a single charge (reading 1-2 hours a day). I'm not sure what the problem is?
How?? I just got my new nook this week, charged it to 100% on Wednesday, and today I noticed it was at 67%. I barely even read 1-2 hours a day. I just turned my wi-fi off today, so I'll see how that helps.
betty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogman View Post
I bought two Nook STs last month. Both came with a wall charger. I have no idea why you are saying it doesn't come with one?
When B&N dropped the price to $99, they stopped including the wall charger. Retailers who had NSTs in their warehouse at the time of the price drop had Nooks with the wall chargers, but B&N stores have been selling NSTs that don't list the wall charger on their packaging and only have a USB cable. I bought one for a gift at a B&N store right before Christmas, and it only had the USB cable. If you get a NST at a retailer other than B&N, you might still be able to get one with a wall charger.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
tym
Connoisseur

Keep in mind, the wall charger is cheep. 5 or 10 bucks. Wall mart may even carry it now? Never hurts to check.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I used to be able to go for more than a whole month on that charge and amount of daily read. Right now I'm still trying it out, but it's still 99% after almost a week of 30 minutes daily reading.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote