Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I think what phenomshel is objecting to at Fictionwise is the "nag screen" that tells you that you have selected a book that is not in your "default" format. Since my default format is LRF (for the Sony and only available at Fictionwise as a "MultiFormat"), all I get is a notice that once downloaded I cannot return the book.
Given the confusion over book formats, I regard that as a "blessing" personally. I'm sure that it must enormously cut down on the problems associated with people inadvertently buying books in the wrong formats, given that different books are available in different formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #32
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I think what phenomshel is objecting to at Fictionwise is the "nag screen" that tells you that you have selected a book that is not in your "default" format. Since my default format is LRF (for the Sony and only available at Fictionwise as a "MultiFormat"), all I get is a notice that once downloaded I cannot return the book.
Yeah, the nag screen is slightly annoying, if only because it assumes you are an idiot (and since it only went up after the Kindle was on Oprah, I'm sure it's an assumption needed at the store). At least it isn't as annoying as the process at BoB (and yes, I still buy at both):

Click to checkout.

Click the "yes, I know you won't email them, let me continue" button.

Click the checkbox that I really know what I am doing.

Enter the amount of rewards to use (making sure It is no more than the total amount, as despite their help/faq page's opinion, you can accidentally give them back extra rewards and then they are gone). Click the apply button.

Click the button again that says I know what I am doing, once the page redraws.

FINALLY, click on the check out, no really, it's checkout for REAL button.

Click on each book, one at a time, to download (no bulk download allowed).

Check your email and send in for any rewards.

Watch your email for several days, resubmitting the rewards request daily until someone there actually does their job (this can take three or four requests and most of the week, if they are busy).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #33
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the confusion over book formats, I regard that as a "blessing" personally.
I agree, and completely understand why they implemented it. Doesn't bother me in the least.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
If I may rudly intrupt and bring back to topic posted by the original poster.

I find that email interesting, since Kurt Johnson, specifically posted on the topic of double dipping to get reward dollars for reward dollars.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=19

I don't think an email from support constitutes a change in BooksOnBoard policy, remember that is usually a tech support giving his/her opinion, sometimes that does not always align with a policy.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #35
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Yeah, the nag screen is slightly annoying, if only because it assumes you are an idiot (and since it only went up after the Kindle was on Oprah, I'm sure it's an assumption needed at the store). At least it isn't as annoying as the process at BoB (and yes, I still buy at both):

Click to checkout.

Click the "yes, I know you won't email them, let me continue" button.

Click the checkbox that I really know what I am doing.

Enter the amount of rewards to use (making sure It is no more than the total amount, as despite their help/faq page's opinion, you can accidentally give them back extra rewards and then they are gone). Click the apply button.

Click the button again that says I know what I am doing, once the page redraws.

FINALLY, click on the check out, no really, it's checkout for REAL button.

Click on each book, one at a time, to download (no bulk download allowed).

Check your email and send in for any rewards.

Watch your email for several days, resubmitting the rewards request daily until someone there actually does their job (this can take three or four requests and most of the week, if they are busy).
You've nailed it. It's the "assume I'm an idiot" part that got to me.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #36
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I just use the vendor that gives me the best deal. A year ago, I spent a lot of time researching ebook vendors and, at the time, it seemed that BOB's prices were better. But lately I've found some really great prices at eBookmall.com and even some good prices at mobipocket.com. Truthfully though, until ebook prices get more stable I'll just check multiple sites and buy from the site that gives me the best price...no customer loyalty here, at least not right now.
Agreed. I am a Buywise Club member (I renewed it when it offered 100% Micropay), but there are times when the BoB price is cheaper. For instance, I recently purchased the upcoming book by Karen Harper, Mistress Shakespeare. When I bought it at BoB, the price was around $17 with $4.74 Rebate Dollars. At FW, it was $21 with $6 Micropay.

But that's not always the case. Not every book at BoB has the Rebate Dollars, or they only have them for a limited time. If I hadn't purchased the book when I did, I wouldn't have gotten the rebate because it was the last day to get it. Now, the book is $17 with no rebate at all. FW's books always have a Micropay rebate, even if it's only 5%. (And to be fair, the Micropay rebate dropped at FW as well, from $6 to around $3.)

So while I get most of my books at FW, I do watch the rebate deals at BoB just in case they're better. Comparative shopping never hurt anyone.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #37
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I don't think an email from support constitutes a change in BooksOnBoard policy, remember that is usually a tech support giving his/her opinion, sometimes that does not always align with a policy.
It appears to be a change - the policy, as stated in the email Lee sent me last year, WAS: reward dollars are the same as real dollars and you get reward dollars no matter how you pay for books.

The policy now appears to be: reward dollars may be used for any book, but you earn no rewards on books paid for in whole by RW and you are limited in how many RW you earn if you have a mixed payment order (this is what happened to my mother - they did not give her the full RW indicated in the order and was a clear change from last year's policy).

The wording of the email may have been just one person's opinion (if so, I would hope that person is already standing in the unemployment line; if not, well .... there are laws about liable for a reason and customers have rejected other companies for far less).

I'm still waiting to see if I'll get my promised rewards from my last order - it's been two full business days (Bob has posted here several times that they only take one) and no reply at all (and no rewards posted).
Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #38
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
Well I just bought a book on BoB by paying all with reward.

Taxes: $0.00
Sub-Total: $4.35
Applied Rewards: $4.35
Total: $0.00

Foward the receipt and promptly receive my $0.44 reward

So it's still old policy for me, at least for $0.44 value.

Last edited by DanT; 02-03-2009 at 11:26 PM.
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #39
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
if you have ever worked customer service, you know just how many people DO download the wrong formats of things. i personally think it's a plus to have the nag screen - it will hopefully free up BoB to do other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
You've nailed it. It's the "assume I'm an idiot" part that got to me.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
if you have ever worked customer service, you know just how many people DO download the wrong formats of things. i personally think it's a plus to have the nag screen - it will hopefully free up BoB to do other stuff.
It's FW who have it . But you're absolutely correct.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just bought a book at BooksOnBoard using reward dollars in full and was able to get the 63 cents reward on the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #42
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i knew that - i'm just veeery sleepy. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's FW who have it . But you're absolutely correct.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #43
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Y'all are probably right. I got into the same thing with Vista with User Account Control. I just *hate* being lumped in with the idiots who don't know what they're doing. I can see that it cuts way down on the time FW has to spend explaining to people, "No, sorry, you ordered the wrong format..blah blah..." I'm in customer service too, and there is a really fine line between treating people as idiots who don't know how to read,(even though some of them ARE idiots who don't read), and being patient enough to explain the same things calmly and clearly a hundred times a day. It still rubbed me the wrong way, though.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #44
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Y'all are probably right. I got into the same thing with Vista with User Account Control. I just *hate* being lumped in with the idiots who don't know what they're doing.
I simply don't find Fictionwise's format selection system to be a bother to me at all in the ordering process (and have occasionally found it helfpul -- when I ordered a book without noticing it was unavailable in my preferred Mobi format, it was nice to get the reminder).

Vista's UAC -- that was much more intrusive to me (until I learned how to get it out of the way).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #45
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just bought a book at BooksOnBoard using reward dollars in full and was able to get the 63 cents reward on the book.
I received mine today as well (a penny more than the entire order, all of which was paid in rewards dollars, as one was full rebate and the other was a penny more than full rebate).

I don't know what their problem is -- my mother still has not received hers and received the rude notice about fraud (this only a week after spending over $100 on books on their 100% back sale, on her first order trying to use those reward dollars). Still no reply from the company other than the one from the rude customer service rep.