Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Buecherfan
Connoisseur
Buecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux, Pocketbook Touch 622, Asus Transformer Book T100
Calibre doesn't show the new version number after the update

I have the problem that even after installing the newest version of calibre (1.30.0) still "calibre 1.2 [64bit] is shown in the program.

In the program directory the newest version is shown too if I check the properties of the files. But if I start Calibre at the bottom left corner there is still the old version 1.2 shown.

I work on Windows 7, 64bit and I use the German version.

Any idea what is going wrong here?
I know that problem has not a high priority, but I think it is strange.
Buecherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Look in your program list (in your config panel); maybe you have both 32 and 64bit versions installed, and the Calibre shortcut you use is the wrong one.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If it doesn't say 1.30.0, then you're not running 1.30.0.

Did you ever set up a calibre development environment? If so, perhaps you're running from an older source repository (via an environment variable). Does the version number have an asterisk after it?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-01-2014 at 07:16 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
check for two icons on desktop, sometimes this happens to me and then there a re usually 2 ondesktop. Not sure why but clicking on old one opened old VER. of Calibre
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Buecherfan
Connoisseur
Buecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipseBuecherfan can illuminate an eclipse

@aleyx: I've only the 64bit version installed.

@DiapDealer: In the properties is definitely the version 1.30.0 shown. That is what confuses me. I've never set up a calibre development environment. I've no idea how to do this. The version number doesn't have an asterisk.

@Glorfindel: There is only one icon. I've also tested to start the program from the program directory.

Thank you for your suggestions and tips. Unfortunately they didn't solve this mystery. More ideas are welcome.
Advert
Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Start calibre from a command-prompt and see what version details it shows (in the terminal window).

calibre-debug -g
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Buecherfan - just to be sure look at Task Explorer->Processes-->Image Path Name Then right click the Image File Name and select Properties and look in the Details sheet

You can start Task Manager with ctrl/shift/esc

You should see something like my screen shot

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	121191  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
have you tried reintalling?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Buecherfan
Connoisseur

@BetterRed: If I look into the path from the process explorer and look into the properties version 1.30 is shown, like I wrote above. But when I run the program it still says "calibre 1.12" in the bottom left corner.

@Glorfindel: This is the last option. I guess I loose my plug-ins and settings if I reinstall?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buecherfan View Post
@BetterRed: If I look into the path from the process explorer and look into the properties version 1.30 is shown, like I wrote above. But when I run the program it still says "calibre 1.12" in the bottom left corner.
Did you look into the properties of the file, or the properties of the running process?

Quote:
@Glorfindel: This is the last option. I guess I loose my plug-ins and settings if I reinstall?
No. All settings and plugins are in %appdata%\Calibre, which are not touched during a reinstallation/update.

Of course, backups are always a good idea, whether you reinstall, upgrade, or none of the above.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Buecherfan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
Did you look into the properties of the file, or the properties of the running process?
Both. Both say 1.30. But the program still shows the old version number and suggest me to upgrade. Can it be a problem in the registry or where does the shown version number comes from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
No. All settings and plugins are in %appdata%\Calibre, which are not touched during a reinstallation/update.

Of course, backups are always a good idea, whether you reinstall, upgrade, or none of the above.
Definitely true. I make updates regularly. But I was not sure where the plugins and settings are stored. I've made some changes. Especially I've added some new columns.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Both. Both say 1.30. But the program still shows the old version number and suggest me to upgrade. Can it be a problem in the registry or where does the shown version number comes from?

Definitely true. I make updates regularly. But I was not sure where the plugins and settings are stored. I've made some changes. Especially I've added some new columns.
Calibre does not use the registry
did you search your system for other files starting with calibre,
Maybe one of those was locked and failed to update

Plugins are kept in the Calibre settings folder. Preferences:Miscellaneous: <Click the button>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #13
Buecherfan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Start calibre from a command-prompt and see what version details it shows (in the terminal window).

calibre-debug -g

calibre 1.12 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
macmenuhack file_path: ....AppData\Roaming\Calibre\plugins\fanfictiondown loader_macmenuhack.txt
Started up in ….seconds with … books

This is interesting because I'ven't installed the fanfictiondownloader plugin and this txt-file doesn't exist.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
Buecherfan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre does not use the registry
did you search your system for other files starting with calibre,
Maybe one of those was locked and failed to update

Plugins are kept in the Calibre settings folder. Preferences:Miscellaneous: <Click the button>
How can I find files starting with calibre?

By the way, thank you to all of you. You are very supportive.
And sorry for my English. I hope I can make myself understandable
Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
How can I find files starting with calibre?

By the way, thank you to all of you. You are very supportive.
And sorry for my English. I hope I can make myself understandable
Use Windows (explorer) Search
Start: My Computer: C (drive): <type calibre in the search box in the upper right cornerfill in the box, wait for the search to complete)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote