Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #61
guybrushT
guybrushT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The screensavers are *never* randomized/rotated at runtime, even on a default firmware.
Ok, lets forget about randomizing then.

How would I get it so that they are still transitioned between them and then finally the kindle shuts off / goes blank after a given length of time (as in the factory default).

Currently my kindle hangs on 1 image indefinitely.
guybrushT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #62
lega4
lega4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
While removing ads I enter this command, but some time ago I have installed SS Hack. Now I have screensaver folder in the root of Kindle disk and linkss/screensavers folder. I put my images in linkss/screensavers and it works. But empty folder root/screensaver is a little annoying and I want to delete it. When I try it and reboot, screensavers stop work: only white screen instead of my screensavers. I need to create empty folder screensaver in root folder.
I think, simply deleting this folder is a bad idea. I need to cancel symlink creation, but I don't know Linux commands. Need your help.
P.S. Sorry for my English.
lega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #63
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The same "rm" (remove command) for a link as a file.
If the link is a directory rather than a file: "rm -fr whatever_name"
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #64
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@guybrushT: They don't change while the Kindle sleep either, even on a default firmware. Ads, maybe, I'm not familiar with KSO devices, but screensavers, no.
Each 'going to sleep' event switches to the next screensaver in the list, but while the Kindle sleep, it's *sleeping*, nothing changes .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #65
Aleyst
Zealot
Aleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with othersAleyst plays well with others

Device: PW (7th Gen), PW (10th Gen)
Confirmation that this hack still works on 4.1.0

Yay!
Aleyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #66
guybrushT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@guybrushT: They don't change while the Kindle sleep either, even on a default firmware. Ads, maybe, I'm not familiar with KSO devices, but screensavers, no.
Each 'going to sleep' event switches to the next screensaver in the list, but while the Kindle sleep, it's *sleeping*, nothing changes .
Awesome. So it is not going to damage my kindle by having an image permanently there until I come back to read it?

Also I can confirm the Hack works on version 4.1 like Aleyst has done.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #67
guybrushT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The same "rm" (remove command) for a link as a file.
If the link is a directory rather than a file: "rm -fr whatever_name"
I think I need to remove a link too. I wondered if you knew anywhere where I could learn more commands in putty?

I take it rm is remove but what is -fr.

I found some basic commands here. http://www.kharmer.co.uk/tech-notes/...ands-for-putty

but would be interested in more.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #68
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrushT View Post
I think I need to remove a link too. I wondered if you knew anywhere where I could learn more commands in putty?

I found some basic commands here. http://www.kharmer.co.uk/tech-notes/...ands-for-putty

Thanks
Putty is just a terminal program that lets you access the linux ash shell command line inside the kindle. You need to learn linux shell commands. Ash is similar to sh or bash. A lot of the documentation for those commands works for the kindle too.

Google "might" be your friend, while learning those commands. For some commands, you can add a parameter -h or --help, and they will give you some information.

EDIT: The kindles do not have a "man" command for the busybox utilities such as "rm". Putty is a windows tool, and windows has no "man" command either. Hence, Google...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-25-2012 at 06:57 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks
man rm
If you don't have Linux install with the documentation, try asking google the same man(ual) command.

The Kindle runs Busybox, and the versions of the standard commands provided by Busybox are simplified versions of what your google query will return.

In this case:
-f :: "Force" :: as in "I really mean more than one file"
-r :: "Recursive" :: as in "remove all contents before removing this directory".
When used together: -r -f or -fr or -rf

- - - -

That link you found is a really, really poor reference.
The very first description is wrong, and it gets worse down the page.

A better guide, get a LiveCD (or LiveDVD) of Linux -
Those run "memory resident" (it is very hard a harm anything - and if you do, just re-start) and nearly always have the documentation (info and man commands) installed.

Last edited by knc1; 06-25-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@guybrushT: Reflective display, nothing at all like a plasma or a CRT. No burn-in .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #71
guybrushT

Hi all,

I seem to have a folder that was somehow created in the following directory

/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600?800

Note the '?'

In that directory I also have

/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

and

/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/adunits

to remove the folder called 600?800 and everything in it, would the correct command be

rm -fr /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600?800

Presumably this wont damage anything by doing it.

Thankhyou
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
To remove the folder called 600?800 and everything in it, would the correct command be

rm -fr /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600?800

Presumably this wont damage anything by doing it.

Thankhyou
Quote the name to be safe. Either single or double quotes will do.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #73
guybrushT

Quote:
Quote the name to be safe. Either single or double quotes will do.
Thanks,

do you mean

rm -fr "/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600?800"

rm -fr /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/"600?800"

or

"rm -fr /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600?800"

or none of those?

Sorry for the complete noob question.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral

The line should read:
command options "name"
Your first idea is correct, your second might work, the third - toss that one in the bit bucket.

No problem about asking when uncertain about any command.
It is the people who don't ask that end up posting in the "My Kindle is Bricked" threads.

Last edited by knc1; 06-30-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #75
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
No problem about asking when uncertain about any command.
It is the people who don't ask that end up posting in the "My Kindle is Bricked" threads.
There is a saying: "It is always better to ask stupid questions, than to make stupid mistakes."

I definately prefer these "Which of these is correct?" questions much more than the "Just give me the exact commands that I need!" demands that seem all too common these days.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-30-2012 at 09:41 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote