Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
hominamad
hominamad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What info does the Kindle transmit back to Amazon

I've been searching around these forums a bit and saw that the general consensus is that other than documents purchased via Amazon, nothing is tracked or sent back to Amazon. Today I experienced something that makes me wonder otherwise - maybe someone can help explain this.

I have a Kindle 3G. Two days ago my battery was completely charged. Usually the battery will last 2 weeks at least, with the wireless turned on. Yesterday I copied about 1000 PDF files (technical documents I need for work) to my Kindle via USB. This morning when I woke up, my battery was almost dead.

As far as I understand, the main thing that drains the battery on the device is using the wireless connection. The only conclusion I can come to, is that the wireless was working all night long, and doing something for each of the 1000 pdfs on my device. I don't know if it was transmitting statistics, copying files, or what but am trying to figure this out.

Does anyone have any clues as to what is going on here?

thanks!

H
hominamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
The battery probably got all used up indexing 1000 pdf files at one go.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I have a Kindle 3G. Two days ago my battery was completely charged. Usually the battery will last 2 weeks at least, with the wireless turned on. Yesterday I copied about 1000 PDF files (technical documents I need for work) to my Kindle via USB. This morning when I woke up, my battery was almost dead.
It would be. It was indexing your 1000 documents, and that takes a lot of processing power.

Type some nonsense string (I generally use 'ddddddddddd', or some such) on the home page, and click "Search". It will tell you how many documents (if any) are unindexed. It's a good idea to leave the Kindle connected to a power source while it's indexing - it does drain the battery pretty quickly.

It's absolutely nothing to do with the wireless.

As a general principle, though, I'd suggest turning the wireless off if you're not using it - it's just draining power for no useful purpose. It's only two key presses to turn the wireless on or off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The battery probably got all used up indexing 1000 pdf files at one go.
Bingo.
Huge numbers of books slapped on it at once will consume massive amounts of battery power indexing those files (or trying to index those files). Plus some of those 1000 books may be stuck indexing. Put the books on in smaller amounts and give the index process time to complete before adding more.

While no one will argue that a myriad of details (location, drm status, time, etc..) doesn't get logged to a file on the Kindle itself (nor will they argue its ability to communicate that logfile to Amazon if it wanted to) ... BUT! ... no one, to date, has ever caught a Kindle actually sending any of that data back to Amazon yet. And many have tried.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
hominamad
hominamad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok - thanks guys. This is good to know.
hominamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Harry, I remember you complaining about Sony and adding large numbers of books and what Sony does when you do. Why aren't you complaining about the Kindle and it's indexing?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Harry, I remember you complaining about Sony and adding large numbers of books and what Sony does when you do. Why aren't you complaining about the Kindle and it's indexing?
Because:

1. It doesn't affect the use of the Kindle; it's a background activity. Not like the old Sony firmware where it would just freeze up while it was indexing.

2. The results are worthwhile. Indexing gives you the ability to carry out almost instant searches within your entire library.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because:

1. It doesn't affect the use of the Kindle; it's a background activity. Not like the old Sony firmware where it would just freeze up while it was indexing.

2. The results are worthwhile. Indexing gives you the ability to carry out almost instant searches within your entire library.
Well, it seems to have affected the the battery life of the Kindle when 1000 PDF were placed on the Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, it seems to have affected the the battery life of the Kindle when 1000 PDF were placed on the Kindle.
Sure, it drains the battery. But it doesn't stop you from using the Kindle. It's completely different to the (old) Sony, where, if you had a large number of books on the machine, making ANY change to the file system would result in a lengthy (mine got to be over an hour) delay during which the reader was just locked up. It's a completely different situation.

I would suggest that adding 1000 files at once to your reader is not a frequent occurrence. The issue with the Sony was that the lock-up occurred whenever you made ANY change to storage, even a single book.

But you know this of course. You're just using this as an excuse for yet another anti-Amazon tirade. We've had enough of it.